Affiliation: McGill University
- Szyf M. DNA methylation, behavior and early life adversity. J Genet Genomics. 2013;40:331-8 pubmed publisher..Particularly important is the environment early in life including both the prenatal and postnatal social environments. ..
- Szyf M. The implications of DNA methylation for toxicology: toward toxicomethylomics, the toxicology of DNA methylation. Toxicol Sci. 2011;120:235-55 pubmed publisher..The realization that long-range damage could be caused without changing the DNA sequence has important implications on the way we assess the safety of chemicals, drugs, and food and broadens the scope of definition of toxic agents. ..
- Szyf M. The early life social environment and DNA methylation: DNA methylation mediating the long-term impact of social environments early in life. Epigenetics. 2011;6:971-8 pubmed publisher..However, several critical questions remain including the identification of mechanisms that transmit the signals from the social environment to the DNA methylation/demethylation enzymes. ..
- Szyf M. Nongenetic inheritance and transgenerational epigenetics. Trends Mol Med. 2015;21:134-44 pubmed publisher..The prospect that ancestral experiences are written in our epigenome has immense implications for our understanding of human behavior, health, and disease. ..
- Szyf M, Tang Y, Hill K, Musci R. The dynamic epigenome and its implications for behavioral interventions: a role for epigenetics to inform disorder prevention and health promotion. Transl Behav Med. 2016;6:55-62 pubmed publisher..In spite of this great potential promise of the emerging field of social and translational epigenetics, many practical challenges remain that must be addressed before behavioral epigenetics could become translational epigenetics. ..
- Cao Lei L, de Rooij S, King S, Matthews S, Metz G, Roseboom T, et al. Prenatal stress and epigenetics. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2017;: pubmed publisher..We also emphasized the advantage of using stressor from quasi-randomly assigned experiments. Furthermore, we discuss challenges that still need to be addressed in this field in the future. ..
- Stefanska B, Cheishvili D, Suderman M, Arakelian A, Huang J, Hallett M, et al. Genome-wide study of hypomethylated and induced genes in patients with liver cancer unravels novel anticancer targets. Clin Cancer Res. 2014;20:3118-32 pubmed publisher..Because these genes are particularly activated in cancer, they constitute a group of targets for specific pharmacologic inhibitors of cancer and cancer metastasis. Clin Cancer Res; 20(12); 3118-32. ©2014 AACR. ..
- Weaver I, Hellstrom I, Brown S, Andrews S, Dymov S, Diorio J, et al. The methylated-DNA binding protein MBD2 enhances NGFI-A (egr-1)-mediated transcriptional activation of the glucocorticoid receptor. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2014;369: pubmed publisher..These data suggest a possible mechanism linking signalling pathways, which are activated by behavioural stimuli and activation of target genes. ..