Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: McGill University
- Jung H, Gkogkas C, Sonenberg N, Holt C. Remote control of gene function by local translation. Cell. 2014;157:26-40 pubmed publisher..Here, we discuss key findings in this area and possible implications of this adaptable and swift mechanism for spatial control of gene function. ..
- Robichaud N, Hsu B, Istomine R, Alvarez F, Blagih J, Ma E, et al. Translational control in the tumor microenvironment promotes lung metastasis: Phosphorylation of eIF4E in neutrophils. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2018;115:E2202-E2209 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we demonstrate that pharmacological inhibition of eIF4E phosphorylation prevents metastatic progression in vivo, supporting the development of phosphorylation inhibitors for clinical use. ..
- Hinnebusch A, Ivanov I, Sonenberg N. Translational control by 5'-untranslated regions of eukaryotic mRNAs. Science. 2016;352:1413-6 pubmed publisher..We also discuss translational control via phosphorylation of eukaryotic initiation factor 2, which is implicated in learning and memory, neurodegenerative diseases, and cancer. ..
- Zuberek J, Kuchta K, Hernández G, Sonenberg N, Ginalski K. Diverse cap-binding properties of Drosophila eIF4E isoforms. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2016;1864:1292-303 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the analysis of ternary complexes of eIF4G peptide-eIF4E-cap analogue showed cooperativity between eIF4G and cap binding only for Dm eIF4E-4, which exhibits the lowest affinity for cap analogues among all Dm eIF4Es. ..
- Robichaud N, Sonenberg N. Translational control and the cancer cell response to stress. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2017;45:102-109 pubmed publisher..Emerging findings supporting this notion are the focus of this review. ..
- Tahmasebi S, Jafarnejad S, Tam I, Gonatopoulos Pournatzis T, Matta Camacho E, Tsukumo Y, et al. Control of embryonic stem cell self-renewal and differentiation via coordinated alternative splicing and translation of YY2. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:12360-12367 pubmed..Thus, we conclude that YY2 is a major regulator of mESC self-renewal and lineage commitment and document a multilayer regulatory mechanism that controls its expression. ..
- Liberman N, Gandin V, Svitkin Y, David M, Virgili G, Jaramillo M, et al. DAP5 associates with eIF2Î² and eIF4AI to promote Internal Ribosome Entry Site driven translation. Nucleic Acids Res. 2015;43:3764-75 pubmed publisher..In contrast, DAP5 is dispensable for cap-dependent translation. These findings provide the first mechanistic insights into the function of DAP5 as a selective regulator of cap-independent translation. ..
- Gkogkas C, Khoutorsky A, Cao R, Jafarnejad S, Prager Khoutorsky M, Giannakas N, et al. Pharmacogenetic inhibition of eIF4E-dependent Mmp9 mRNA translation reverses fragile X syndrome-like phenotypes. Cell Rep. 2014;9:1742-55 pubmed publisher..These results uncover a mechanism of regulation of synaptic function by translational control of Mmp-9 in FXS, which opens the possibility of new treatment avenues for the diverse neurological and psychiatric aspects of FXS. ..
- Sonenberg N, Pause A. Signal transduction. Protein synthesis and oncogenesis meet again. Science. 2006;314:428-9 pubmed
- Morita M, Prudent J, Basu K, Goyon V, Katsumura S, Hulea L, et al. mTOR Controls Mitochondrial Dynamics and Cell Survival via MTFP1. Mol Cell. 2017;67:922-935.e5 pubmed publisher..These data provide direct evidence for cell survival upon mTOR inhibition through mitochondrial hyperfusion employing MTFP1 as a critical effector of mTORC1 to govern cell fate decisions. ..