J E Silva
Affiliation: McGill University
- The thermogenic effect of thyroid hormone and its clinical implicationsJ Enrique Silva
Division of Endocrinology, Jewish General Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Ann Intern Med 139:205-13. 2003
- Thyroid hormone and the energetic cost of keeping body temperatureJ Enrique Silva
Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Jewish General Hospital, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Biosci Rep 25:129-48. 2005
- Thyroid-adrenergic interactions: physiological and clinical implicationsJ Enrique Silva
Baystate Medical Center, Tufts University Medical School, Springfield, Massachusetts 01199, USA
Thyroid 18:157-65. 2008..Finally, emerging results suggest the possibility that disrupted interactions between the two systems contribute to explain metabolic variability, for example, fuel efficiency, energy expenditure, and lipolytic responses...
- Evidence for a compensated thermogenic defect in transgenic mice lacking the mitochondrial glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase geneRosangela A DosSantos
Division of Endocrinology, Lady Davis Institute for Medical Research, Juwish General Hospital, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3T 1E2
Endocrinology 144:5469-79. 2003..The results support a role for mGPD in thyroid hormone thermogenesis...
- Mice with deletion of the mitochondrial glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase gene exhibit a thrifty phenotype: effect of genderAssim Alfadda
Jewish General Hospital, 3755 Chemin de la Cote Ste Catherine, Rm E104, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 287:R147-56. 2004..Lower T(4)-to-T(3) conversion in mGPD-/- females and a greater reliance of normal females on mGPD to respond to high-fat diets make the lack of the enzyme more consequential in the female gender...
- Temperature homeostasis in transgenic mice lacking thyroid hormone receptor-alpha gene productsHusnia Marrif
Jewish General Hospital, Division of Endocrinology, 3755 Cote Ste Catherine, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3T 1E2
Endocrinology 146:2872-84. 2005..In addition, the results provide evidence for an alternate form of facultative thermogenesis, which probably originates in skeletal muscle and that is less effective and more energy demanding than BAT thermogenesis...
- Thermogenic mechanisms and their hormonal regulationJ Enrique Silva
Baystate Medical Education and Research Foundation, Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Baystate Medical Center, Tufts University Medical School, Springfield, Massachusetts, USA
Physiol Rev 86:435-64. 2006..Thermogenesis has a very high energy cost. Cold adaptation and food availability may have been conflicting selection pressures accounting for the variability of thermogenesis in humans...