J A Morais
Affiliation: McGill University
- Protein turnover and requirements in the healthy and frail elderlyJ A Morais
Division of Geriatric Medicine, McGill Nutrition and Food Science Centre, MUHC Royal Victoria Hospital, Room H 6 61, 687 Pine Avenue, West, Montreal, QC, Canada H3A 1A1
J Nutr Health Aging 10:272-83. 2006..We propose that higher protein intakes for the elderly, and especially the frail population, than those presently recommended may minimize the sarcopenia of aging and thereby protect against some of the health risks of aging...
- Hyperaminoacidaemia at postprandial levels does not modulate glucose metabolism in type 2 diabetes mellitusM Bassil
McGill Nutrition and Food Science Centre, MUHC Royal Victoria Hospital, 687 Pine Avenue West, H6 61, Montreal, QC, Canada H3A 1A1
Diabetologia 54:1810-8. 2011..However, the effect of hyperaminoacidaemia on glucose disposal in type 2 diabetic individuals remains to be determined...
- Whole-body protein turnover in the healthy elderlyJ A Morais
McGill Nutrition and Food Science Centre, Royal Victoria Hospital, Montreal, Canada
Am J Clin Nutr 66:880-9. 1997..However, there is a reduced contribution by muscle to whole-body protein catabolism in older persons. This has potential implications for the nutrition of both normal and sick elderly persons...
- Postprandial hyperaminoacidaemia overcomes insulin resistance of protein anabolism in men with type 2 diabetesM Bassil
McGill University Nutrition and Food Science Centre, McGill University Health Centre Royal Victoria Hospital, 687 Pine Avenue West, H6 61, Montreal, QC, Canada
Diabetologia 54:648-56. 2011..We hypothesised that this resistance is even worse during conditions that simulate the postprandial state, when anabolism should be maximal...
- Effects of oral hypoglycemic agents and diet on protein metabolism in type 2 diabetesR Gougeon
McGill Nutrition and Food Science Center, Royal Victoria Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Diabetes Care 23:1-8. 2000..We tested whether oral hypoglycemic agents (OHA), gliclazide with or without metformin, during an isoenergetic (ISO) and then a low-energy diet (LED) improve the altered kinetics of whole-body protein metabolism in type 2 diabetes...
- Elevations of plasma methylarginines in obesity and ageing are related to insulin sensitivity and rates of protein turnoverE B Marliss
McGill Nutrition and Food Science Centre, MUHC Royal Victoria Hospital, 687 Pine Avenue West, Montreal, Quebec H3A 1A1, Canada
Diabetologia 49:351-9. 2006..Plasma MA, i.e. asymmetrical dimethylarginine (ADMA), symmetrical dimethylarginine (SDMA), and N -monomethyl-L-arginine (NMMA), lipids and body composition were measured...
- Antihyperglycaemic medication modifies factors of postprandial satiety in type 2 diabetesC Mourad
McGill Nutrition and Food Science Centre, McGill Faulty of Medicine, University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Diabetes Obes Metab 11:819-22. 2009..Conclusions: The decrease in factors associated with postprandial satiety with treatment is counterbalanced by higher GLP-1 and PYY(3-36). Medication may normalize the link between perception of hunger and subsequent food intake...
- Handgrip strength predicts survival and is associated with markers of clinical and functional outcomes in advanced cancer patientsR D Kilgour
McGill Nutrition and Performance Laboratory, McGill University Health Centre MUHC, Montreal, QC, Canada
Support Care Cancer 21:3261-70. 2013..g., sarcopenia), subjective performance measures (e.g., quality of life), and muscle strength (e.g., isokinetic torque of the quadriceps) in patients with advanced forms of non-small cell lung and gastrointestinal cancers...
- Effects of intensive glucose lowering in type 2 diabetesHertzel C Gerstein
N Engl J Med 358:2545-59. 2008....