Christian O Marks
Affiliation: McGill University
- Alternative designs and the evolution of functional diversityChristian O Marks
Biology Department, McGill University, 1205 Dr Penfield Avenue, Montreal, Quebec H3A 1B1, Canada
Am Nat 167:55-66. 2006..We show that separate lineages of seedlings evolving in identical environments result in many alternative functional designs of approximately equal fitness...
- The causes of variation in tree seedling traits: the roles of environmental selection versus chanceChristian O Marks
Biology Department, McGill University, Dr Penfield Avenue, Montreal, Quebec, H3A 1B1, Canada
Evolution 61:455-69. 2007..Consequently, I predict that in nature variation in organ level traits is most closely related to phylogeny, whereas variation in whole plant traits is most closely related to ecology...
- The ecological and functional correlates of nocturnal transpirationChristian O Marks
Biology Department, McGill University, 1205 Dr Penfield Avenue, Montreal, QC, H3A 1B1, Canada
Tree Physiol 27:577-84. 2007....
- Comparing tropical forest tree size distributions with the predictions of metabolic ecology and equilibrium modelsHelene C Muller-Landau
Ecol Lett 9:589-602. 2006..In most forests, size distributions are much closer to the predictions of demographic equilibrium, and thus, intersite variation in size distributions is explained partly by intersite variation in growth and mortality...
- Comment on "From plant traits to plant communities: a statistical mechanistic approach to biodiversity"Christian O Marks
Department of Ecology, Evolution and Behavior, University of Minnesota, 1987 Upper Buford Circle, St Paul, MN 55108, USA
Science 316:1425; author reply 1425. 2007..We show that the entropy maximization assumption is relatively unimportant and that the high accuracy is due largely to a statistical effect...