Karl J Looper
Affiliation: McGill University
- Perceived stigma in functional somatic syndromes and comparable medical conditionsKarl J Looper
Department of Psychiatry, Sir Mortimer B Davis Jewish General Hospital, 3755 Chemin de la Cote Ste Catherine, Montreal, PQ, Canada
J Psychosom Res 57:373-8. 2004..To determine if patients with functional somatic syndromes (FSS) perceive greater levels of stigma than patients with comparable medical conditions that have a clear medical pathology...
- Managing menopausal symptoms and depression in tamoxifen users: implications of drug and medicinal interactionsJulie Eve Desmarais
Allan Memorial Institute, McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Maturitas 67:296-308. 2010..This paper reviews potentially problematic interactions and offers treatment recommendations...
- Caregiving appraisal and disease activity in early inflammatory arthritisMargaret Purden
Department of Nursing, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada
Scand J Caring Sci 27:156-64. 2013..In this study, we examined how caregiving involvement and caregiving appraisal as perceived by both patients and their caregiving spouses relate to disease activity and mental health of patients in early inflammatory arthritis...
- Explaining medically unexplained symptomsLaurence J Kirmayer
Division of Social and Transcultural Psychiatry, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec
Can J Psychiatry 49:663-72. 2004..This provides an entree to applying the symptom-focused strategies of behavioural medicine to address the psychosocial factors that contribute to chronicity and disability...
- Potential medical and surgical complications of serotonergic antidepressant medicationsKarl J Looper
Department of Psychiatry, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Psychosomatics 48:1-9. 2007..Physicians need to remain aware of these potential medical complications and integrate this information into their clinical decision-making, informed-consent process, baseline assessment, and follow-up monitoring...
- Perfectionism dimensions and dependency in relation to personality vulnerability and psychosocial adjustment in patients with coronary artery diseaseDavid M Dunkley
Department of Psychiatry, Institute of Community and Family Psychiatry, Lady Davis Institute, SMBD Jewish General Hospital, 4333 Cote Ste Catherine Road, Montreal, QC, H3T 1E4, Canada
J Clin Psychol Med Settings 19:211-23. 2012..Continued efforts to understand the role of perfectionism dimensions and dependency in CAD appear warranted...
- Depressive symptoms in relation to physical functioning in pulmonary hypertensionKarl J Looper
Department of Psychiatry, Sir Mortimer B Davis Jewish General Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3T 1E2
J Psychosom Res 66:221-5. 2009..To investigate the association between depressive symptoms and physical functioning in pulmonary hypertension (PH) patients...
- Abnormal illness behaviour: physiological, psychological and social dimensions of coping with distressLaurence J Kirmayer
Division of Social and Transcultural Psychiatry, McGill University, and Department of Psychiatry, Sir Mortimer B Davis Jewish General Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Curr Opin Psychiatry 19:54-60. 2006..This review summarizes recent work from sociology, health psychology and psychiatry that contributes to an understanding of the processes that may underlie abnormal illness behaviour...
- Work instability and financial loss in early inflammatory arthritisKarl J Looper
Psychiatry, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Int J Rheum Dis 15:546-53. 2012..In this study, we examine the extent of work instability and financial loss as well as their association with disease characteristics during the first 18 months of inflammatory arthritis...
- Psychogenic nonepileptic seizures: a current overviewPhilip Dickinson
Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery, Faculty of Medicine, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Epilepsia 53:1679-89. 2012....
- Interactions between tamoxifen and antidepressants via cytochrome P450 2D6Julie Eve Desmarais
Department of Psychiatry, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Clin Psychiatry 70:1688-97. 2009..This article reviews the literature on the interactions between newer antidepressants and tamoxifen via CYP2D6 and offers treatment recommendations...
- Behavioral medicine approaches to somatoform disordersKarl J Looper
Division of Social and Transcultural Psychiatry, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Consult Clin Psychol 70:810-27. 2002..On the basis of this review of the existing research and a theoretical model of the processes involved in somatoform disorders, the authors offer suggestions for future research and effective treatment...