Affiliation: McGill University
- Smoking trajectories of adolescent novice smokers in a longitudinal study of tobacco useIgor Karp
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Faculty of Medicine, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec H3G 1A4, Canada
Ann Epidemiol 15:445-52. 2005..To describe longitudinal trajectories of smoking intensity in adolescent novice smokers and to identify predictors of trajectory class membership...
- Longitudinal evolution of risk of coronary heart disease in systemic lupus erythematosusIgor Karp
Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Rheumatol 39:968-73. 2012..To produce evidence on the longitudinal evolution of risk factors for coronary heart disease (CHD) in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE)...
- Determinants of first puff and daily cigarette smoking in adolescentsJennifer O'Loughlin
Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Montreal, 3875 Saint Urbain, Montreal, Quebec H2W1V1, Canada
Am J Epidemiol 170:585-97. 2009..Adolescent tobacco control programs should address multiple individual and contextual-level risk factors. Strategies that address nicotine dependence symptoms are also needed for adolescents who have already initiated smoking...
- Sex- and gender-related risk factor burden in patients with premature acute coronary syndromeJin Choi
Division of Clinical Epidemiology, McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Can J Cardiol 30:109-17. 2014..Few contemporary data exist on traditional (TRF) and non-TRF (NTRF) burden in patients with premature acute coronary syndrome (ACS)...
- A prognostic tool to identify adolescents at high risk of becoming daily smokersIgor Karp
University of Montreal Hospital Research Centre CRCHUM, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
BMC Pediatr 11:70. 2011..We present a prognostic tool for use by health care practitioners in both clinical and non-clinical settings, to identify adolescents at risk of becoming daily smokers...
- GENESIS-PRAXY (GENdEr and Sex determInantS of cardiovascular disease: From bench to beyond-Premature Acute Coronary SYndrome)Louise Pilote
Division of General Internal Medicine, McGill University Health Centre, 687 Pine Avenue West, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am Heart J 163:741-746.e2. 2012..This study will investigate the clinical presentation, prognosis, and health care use in young men and women with ACS...
- Determinants of emergency department visits by older adults: a systematic reviewJane McCusker
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Community Studies, St Mary s Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Acad Emerg Med 10:1362-70. 2003..To conduct a systematic review of the literature on the determinants of hospital emergency department (ED) visits by elders, using a modification of the Andersen behavioral model of health services, adapted to explain ED utilization...
- Comparing the validity of different sources of information on emergency department visits: a latent class analysisNandini Dendukuri
Technology Assessment Unit, McGill University Health Center, Montreal, Canada
Med Care 43:266-75. 2005..Determining the relative validity of each source is complicated because none is a gold standard...
- Secondary prevention after acute myocardial infarction in four Canadian provinces, 1997-2000Louise Pilote
McGill University Health Centre, Montreal General Hospital Research Institute, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Can J Cardiol 20:61-7. 2004..Publication of population-based analyses of medication use after acute myocardial infarction (AMI) could encourage the use of effective secondary prevention medications...
- Cardiac procedures after an acute myocardial infarction across nine Canadian provincesLouise Pilote
McGill University Health Centre at the Montreal General Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Can J Cardiol 20:491-500. 2004..Geographical variations in the use of invasive cardiac procedures have been documented. It remains unclear to what extent these variations exist across the Canadian provinces...
- The association between parental history of diagnosed mood/anxiety disorders and psychiatric symptoms and disorders in young adult offspringNancy C P Low
Department of Psychiatry, McGill University, Montreal, QC H3A 1A1, Canada
BMC Psychiatry 12:188. 2012..This study uses a large population-based sample to test if maternal or paternal history of mood and/or anxiety disorders increases the risk of mood and/or anxiety disorders, or symptoms of specific anxiety disorders, in offspring...
- Impact of restrictive prescription plans on heart failure medication useGeorge Thanassoulis
Divisions of Clinical Epidemiology, Cardiology, and Internal Medicine, McGill University Health Center, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes 2:484-90. 2009..Increased restrictions may reduce access to evidence-based therapy among patients with chronic disease. We sought to evaluate the impact of increased restrictions on medication use among heart failure (HF) patients...
- Emergence of sex differences in prevalence of high systolic blood pressure: analysis of a longitudinal adolescent cohortKaberi Dasgupta
Departments of Medicine, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Circulation 114:2663-70. 2006..High systolic blood pressure (SBP) occurs more frequently both among men and boys than among women and girls. No longitudinal study has investigated whether the impact of SBP determinants differ according to sex in youth...
- Gender differences among general practitioners in smoking cessation counseling practicesJennifer O'Loughlin
CR CHUM and Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Prev Med 45:208-14. 2007..To describe gender differences in smoking cessation counseling practices among general practitioners (GPs), and to investigate the association between training for cessation counseling and counseling practices according to gender...
- Teens and screens: the influence of screen time on adiposity in adolescentsTracie A Barnett
Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am J Epidemiol 172:255-62. 2010..Efforts to prevent obesity in youth should emphasize reducing screen time...
- Updated risk factor values and the ability of the multivariable risk score to predict coronary heart diseaseIgor Karp
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Faculty of Medicine, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am J Epidemiol 160:707-16. 2004..The results suggest that coronary risk assessment can be improved by utilizing updated risk factors and that the optimal frequency of updating may vary across subpopulations...
- Protocol for a systematic review on inequalities in postnatal care services utilization in low- and middle-income countriesEtienne V Langlois
Research Centre of the University of Montreal Hospital Centre CRCHUM, 3875 St Urbain St, Montreal, QC H2W 1V1, Canada
Syst Rev 2:55. 2013..Our objective is to assess systematically the socioeconomic, geographic and demographic inequalities in the use of PNC interventions in low- and middle-income countries...
- Assessment of symptomatic women for early diagnosis of ovarian cancer: results from the prospective DOvE pilot projectLucy Gilbert
Gynecologic Oncology Unit, McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, QC, Canada
Lancet Oncol 13:285-91. 2012..In the Diagnosing Ovarian Cancer Early (DOvE) study we investigated whether open-access assessment would increase the rate of early-stage diagnosis...
- Recent corticosteroid use and recent disease activity: independent determinants of coronary heart disease risk factors in systemic lupus erythematosus?Igor Karp
University of Montreal, the Montreal University Health Center, and McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Arthritis Rheum 59:169-75. 2008..In particular, the causal roles of corticosteroid therapy and SLE disease activity, and whether their putative effects are mediated through conventional risk factors, remain unclear...
- A comparison of prospective and retrospective evaluations of the Systemic Lupus International Collaborating Clinics/American College of Rheumatology Damage Index for systemic lupus erythematosusSasha Bernatsky
Division of Clinical Epidemiology, Montreal General Hospital Research Institute, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Rheumatol 32:820-3. 2005..To evaluate the comparability of prospective and retrospective evaluations of the Systemic Lupus International Collaborating Clinics/American College of Rheumatology Damage Index (SLICC/ACR DI)...
- Statins and cancer riskIgor Karp
Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, University of Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am J Med 121:302-9. 2008..The objective of this study was to investigate the relation between lipophilic statin use and cancer occurrence...
- Does cigarette use influence adiposity or height in adolescence?Jennifer O'Loughlin
Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, University of Montreal, QC, Canada
Ann Epidemiol 18:395-402. 2008..To study the effect of cigarette use on height and adiposity in adolescents...
- Association between cigarette smoking and C-reactive protein in a representative, population-based sample of adolescentsJennifer O'Loughlin
Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, University of Montreal, CRCHUM, Montreal
Nicotine Tob Res 10:525-32. 2008..Damage related to cigarette smoking may begin soon after tobacco use initiation, reinforcing the preventive message that no level of smoking is safe in youth...
- Population attributable fraction: its implications for genetic epidemiology and illness preventionIgor Karp
Am Heart J 154:607-9. 2007
- Mammographic screening from age 40 yearsSophie N Kulaga
Lancet 369:738-9. 2007
- Sex differences in the effectiveness of statins after myocardial infarctionIgor Karp
Division of Clinical Epidemiology, McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, Que
CMAJ 176:333-8. 2007..We sought to investigate the sex differences in the effectiveness of statins in patients with acute myocardial infarction (AMI)...