G Eric Jarvis
Affiliation: McGill University
- The social causes of psychosis in North American psychiatry: a review of a disappearing literatureG Eric Jarvis
Culture and Mental Health Research Unit, Institute of Community and Family Psychiatry, Jewish General Hospital, Montreal, Quebec
Can J Psychiatry 52:287-94. 2007..To review the North American literature with respect to the role of social factors in the etiology of psychosis, including schizophrenia...
- Changing psychiatric perception of African-Americans with affective disordersG Eric Jarvis
Culture and Mental Health Research Unit, Jewish General Hospital and McGill University, Montreal, Canada
J Nerv Ment Dis 200:1031-40. 2012..Given these findings, American psychiatry needs to appraise the deep-seated effects of historical stereotypes on the diagnosis and treatment of African-Americans...
- High rates of psychosis for black inpatients in Padua and Montreal: different contexts, similar findingsG Eric Jarvis
McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 46:247-53. 2011..This study tested the hypothesis that despite differences in setting, specifically in Padua or Montreal, black psychiatric inpatients will have higher rates of assigned diagnosis of psychosis than their non-black counterparts...
- Religious practice and psychological distress: the importance of gender, ethnicity and immigrant statusG Eric Jarvis
Cultural Consultation Service, McGill University
Transcult Psychiatry 42:657-75. 2005....
- Use of an expanded version of the DSM-IV outline for cultural formulation on a cultural consultation serviceLaurence J Kirmayer
Department of Psychiatry, Sir Mortimer B Davis Jewish General Hospital, 4333 Cote Ste Catherine Rd, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3T 1E4
Psychiatr Serv 59:683-6. 2008....
- Training clinicians in cultural psychiatry: a Canadian perspectiveLaurence J Kirmayer
Department of Psychiatry, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Acad Psychiatry 32:313-9. 2008..The authors summarize the pedagogical approaches and curriculum used in the training of clinicians in cultural psychiatry at the Division of Social and Transcultural Psychiatry, McGill University...
- Rethinking social causes of psychosisG Eric Jarvis
Can J Psychiatry 52:275-6. 2007