Affiliation: McGill University
- Role of the dorsal paragigantocellular reticular nucleus in paradoxical (rapid eye movement) sleep generation: a combined electrophysiological and anatomical study in the ratR Goutagny
CNRS, UMR 5167, Institut Fédératif des Neurosciences de Lyon IFR19, Lyon, F 69372, France
Neuroscience 152:849-57. 2008....
- In vitro activation of the medial septum-diagonal band complex generates atropine-sensitive and atropine-resistant hippocampal theta rhythm: an investigation using a complete septohippocampal preparationRomain Goutagny
Department of Psychiatry, Douglas Mental Health University Institute, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Hippocampus 18:531-5. 2008..Moreover, these MS-DB generated theta oscillations are mediated by muscarinic and nonmuscarinic receptors and have a pharmacological profile similar to theta rhythm observed in awake animals...
- The hippocamposeptal pathway generates rhythmic firing of GABAergic neurons in the medial septum and diagonal bands: an investigation using a complete septohippocampal preparation in vitroFrédéric Manseau
Douglas Hospital Research Center, Department of Psychiatry, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4H 1R3
J Neurosci 28:4096-107. 2008..Our data demonstrate that hippocamposeptal inhibition facilitates theta rhythmic discharges in MS/DB GABAergic neurons while favoring the inhibition of most ACh and glutamate neurons...
- Dopaminergic neurons expressing Fos during waking and paradoxical sleep in the ratLucienne Leger
Universite de Lyon, Lyon, Universite Lyon 1, CNRS, UMR5167, Physiologie et physiopathologie du cycle veille sommeil, F 69008, France
J Chem Neuroanat 39:262-71. 2010..These results suggest that some DA neurons (A11) could participate in waking and/or the inhibition of PS during PS deprivation whereas others (A13) would be involved in the control of PS...
- Glutamatergic neurons of the mouse medial septum and diagonal band of Broca synaptically drive hippocampal pyramidal cells: relevance for hippocampal theta rhythmCarey Y L Huh
Douglas Mental Health University Institute, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec H4H 1R3, Canada
J Neurosci 30:15951-61. 2010..Our findings suggest that the glutamatergic septohippocampal pathway may play an important role in hippocampal theta oscillations and relevant cognitive functions...
- Noradrenergic neurons expressing Fos during waking and paradoxical sleep deprivation in the ratLucienne Leger
Universite de Lyon, Lyon, France
J Chem Neuroanat 37:149-57. 2009..They further suggest that the inhibitory effect of noradrenaline on PS may be due to the A1/C1, A2 and to a lesser degree to A5 neurons but not from those of the LC as previously hypothesized...
- Alterations in hippocampal network oscillations and theta-gamma coupling arise before Aβ overproduction in a mouse model of Alzheimer's diseaseRomain Goutagny
Douglas Mental Health University Institute, McGill University, 6875 LaSalle Blvd, Verdun, Montreal H4H1R3, QC, Canada
Eur J Neurosci 37:1896-902. 2013..Thus, initial alterations in hippocampal network activity arise before Aβ accumulation and may represent an early biomarker for AD...
- NMDA-dependent phase synchronization between septal and temporal CA3 hippocampal networksNing Gu
McGill University, Douglas Mental Health University Institute, Montreal, Quebec H4H 1R3, Canada
J Neurosci 33:8276-87. 2013..These data demonstrate that plastic changes in communication between septal and temporal hippocampal regions can arise from the NMDA-dependent phase locking of neural oscillators...
- Tuberal hypothalamic neurons secreting the satiety molecule Nesfatin-1 are critically involved in paradoxical (REM) sleep homeostasisSonia Jego
Sleep Waking Neuronal Networks, CNRS UMR5292, Lyon, France
PLoS ONE 7:e52525. 2012..This could be done through the inhibition of downstream targets comprised primarily of the local hypothalamic wake-active orexin- and histamine-containing neurons...
- Fast and slow γ rhythms are intrinsically and independently generated in the subiculumJesse Jackson
Douglas Mental Health University Institute, McGill University, Department of Psychiatry, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4H 1R3
J Neurosci 31:12104-17. 2011....
- Localization of the brainstem GABAergic neurons controlling paradoxical (REM) sleepEmilie Sapin
CNRS, UMR5167, Physiopathologie des réseaux neuronaux du cycle veille sommeil, Lyon, France
PLoS ONE 4:e4272. 2009..From these results, we propose a revised model for PS control in which GABAergic PS-on and PS-off neurons localized in the vlPAG/dDPMe region play leading roles...
- Early alterations in hippocampal circuitry and theta rhythm generation in a mouse model of prenatal infection: implications for schizophreniaGuillaume Ducharme
Douglas Mental Health University Institute, McGill University, Department of Psychiatry, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
PLoS ONE 7:e29754. 2012....
- Paradoxical sleep in mice lacking M3 and M2/M4 muscarinic receptorsRomain Goutagny
CNRS UMR 5167, Physiopathologie des réseaux neuronaux du cycle veille sommeil, Institut Fédératif des Neurosciences de Lyon IFR19, Université C Bernard, 7 rue Guillaume Paradin, FR 69372 Lyon Cedex 08, France
Neuropsychobiology 52:140-6. 2005....
- Self-generated theta oscillations in the hippocampusRomain Goutagny
Douglas Mental Health University Institute, McGill University, Department of Psychiatry, Quebec, Canada
Nat Neurosci 12:1491-3. 2009..These oscillators were organized along the septotemporal axis and arose independently from CA3. Our results suggest that CA1 theta rhythm can emerge from the coupling of multiple autonomous hippocampal theta oscillators...
- GABAergic control of hypothalamic melanin-concentrating hormone-containing neurons across the sleep-waking cycleRomain Goutagny
CNRS, UMR 5167, Faculte de Medecine, RTH Laennec, 7 rue G Paradin, 69372 Lyon Cedex 08, France
Neuroreport 16:1069-73. 2005..These results suggest that neurons containing melanin-concentrating hormone are not active during waking and that the lack of a potent GABAergic influence during waking is consistent with their role in sleep regulation...
- Paradoxical (REM) sleep genesis: the switch from an aminergic-cholinergic to a GABAergic-glutamatergic hypothesisPierre Hervé Luppi
UMR5167 CNRS, Faculte de Medecine Laennec, Institut Fédératif des Neurosciences de Lyon IFR 19, Universite Claude Bernard Lyon I, 7, Rue Guillaume Paradin, 69372 Lyon Cedex 08, France
J Physiol Paris 100:271-83. 2006..We propose that these GABAergic neurons also inhibit the GABAergic neurons of the DPMe at the onset and during PS and are therefore responsible for the onset and maintenance of PS...
- A role of melanin-concentrating hormone producing neurons in the central regulation of paradoxical sleepLaure Verret
CNRS UMR5167, Institut Fédératif des Neurosciences de Lyon IFR 19, Universite Claude Bernard Lyon I, 7 rue Guillaume Paradin, 69372 Lyon Cedex 08, France
BMC Neurosci 4:19. 2003..Next, we compared the effect of MCH and NaCl intracerebroventricular (ICV) administrations on sleep stage quantities to further determine whether MCH neurons play an active role in PS regulation...
- Sleep architecture of the melanin-concentrating hormone receptor 1-knockout miceAntoine Adamantidis
Research Center for Cellular and Molecular Neurobiology, Unit of Molecular Neurophysiology, University of Liege, 1 Avenue de l Hopital, Bat B 36, 4000 Liege, Belgium
Eur J Neurosci 27:1793-800. 2008..This study also suggests that the MCH system may modulate central pathways involved in the wake-promoting effect of modafinil...