Timothy G Geary
Affiliation: McGill University
- Progress and challenges in the discovery of macrofilaricidal drugsTimothy G Geary
Institute of Parasitology, McGill University, 21111 Lakeshore Road, Ste Anne de Bellevue QC, H9X 3V9, Canada
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 9:681-95. 2011..In particular, the lack of convenient, validated animal models in an antifilarial drug discovery pathway is an unresolved issue...
- Molecular cloning and characterization of novel glutamate-gated chloride channel subunits from Schistosoma mansoniVanessa Dufour
Centre for Host Parasite Interactions, Institute of Parasitology, McGill University Macdonald Campus, Sainte Anne de Bellevue, Quebec, Canada
PLoS Pathog 9:e1003586. 2013..mansoni, an unprecedented finding in parasitic flatworms. Further work is needed to elucidate the roles of GluCl receptors in schistosomes and to explore their potential as drug targets...
- First analysis of the secretome of the canine heartworm, Dirofilaria immitisJames Geary
Department of Pathobiology and Diagnostic Investigation, College of Veterinary Medicine, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Parasit Vectors 5:140. 2012..Differences in protein secretion among nematodes in vivo may relate to the ecological niche of each parasite and the pathological changes that they induce...
- Are new anthelmintics needed to eliminate human helminthiases?Timothy G Geary
Institute of Parasitology, McGill University, Quebec, Canada
Curr Opin Infect Dis 25:709-17. 2012..This review considers the attributes of anthelmintics that favor or limit attainment of the scaled-up plans for elimination, and highlights situations for which new or reformulated drugs may be needed...
- Evidence for macrocyclic lactone anthelmintic resistance in Dirofilaria immitisTimothy G Geary
Institute of Parasitology, McGill University, Ste Anne de Bellevue, QC, Canada
Top Companion Anim Med 26:186-92. 2011....
- A new approach for anthelmintic discovery for humansTimothy G Geary
Institute of Parasitology, McGill University, 21111 Lakeshore Road, Ste Anne de Bellevue, QC H9X 3V9, Canada
Trends Parasitol 28:176-81. 2012..Implementation of this strategy in biodiversity-rich but resource-constrained settings can help build sustainable local capacity for drug discovery...
- Macrocyclic lactone anthelmintics: spectrum of activity and mechanism of actionTimothy G Geary
Institute of Parasitology, McGill University, 21111 Lakeshore Road, Ste Anne de Bellevue, QC H9X 3V9, Canada
Curr Pharm Biotechnol 13:866-72. 2012..Studies on IVM in model organisms have contributed greatly to our understanding of ML pharmacology, but our understanding of the basis for differences among species and among MLs in potency and spectrum remains far from complete...
- Nonpeptide ligands for peptidergic G protein-coupled receptorsTimothy G Geary
Institute of Parasitology, McGill University, 21111 Lakeshore Road, Ste Anne de Bellevue, QC, Canada
Adv Exp Med Biol 692:10-26. 2010..A consideration of the knowledge gained from the process as conducted for mammalian peptidergic systems can inform and illuminate promising strategies for the discovery of new drugs for the treatment and control of pests and parasites...
- Unresolved issues in anthelmintic pharmacology for helminthiases of humansTimothy G Geary
Institute of Parasitology, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada H9X 3V9
Int J Parasitol 40:1-13. 2010..Furthermore, a better understanding of their clinical pharmacology will enable improved therapy and could contribute to the discovery of new products...
- Ivermectin 20 years on: maturation of a wonder drugTimothy G Geary
Leveraging and Scientific Liaison, Pfizer Animal Health, 300 412, 7000 Portage Road, Kalamazoo, MI 49001, USA
Trends Parasitol 21:530-2. 2005..Although much remains to be learned about how the drug works and how resistance to it will develop, it has earned the title of "wonder drug"...
- Correlation between loss of efficacy of macrocyclic lactone heartworm anthelmintics and P-glycoprotein genotypeCatherine Bourguinat
Institute of Parasitology, McGill University, 21 111 Lakeshore Road, Sainte Anne de Bellevue, H9X3V9, Quebec, Canada
Vet Parasitol 176:374-81. 2011..Further studies are required to confirm ML resistance in heartworm populations. However, the genetic changes observed in this study may be useful as a marker to monitor for ML resistance in D. immitis...
- Ivermectin disrupts the function of the excretory-secretory apparatus in microfilariae of Brugia malayiYovany Moreno
Institute of Parasitology, McGill University Macdonald Campus, Sainte Anne de Bellevue, Quebec, Canada H9X 3V9
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:20120-5. 2010..Under in vivo conditions, the rapid microfilarial clearance induced by IVM treatment is proposed to result from suppression of the ability of the parasite to secrete proteins that enable evasion of the host immune system...
- Genetic polymorphism in Dirofilaria immitisCatherine Bourguinat
Institute of Parasitology, McGill University, 21 111 Lakeshore Road, Sainte Anne de Bellevue, H9X3V9 Quebec, Canada
Vet Parasitol 176:368-73. 2011..Differences in F coefficients were observed between the groups. D. immitis was found to be genetically heterogeneous. This genetic heterogeneity has implication for the development of genetically selected strains of the parasite...
- Structure-activity relationships of an inhibitory nematode FMRFamide-related peptide, SDPNFLRFamide (PF1), on Ascaris suum muscleJerry W Bowman
Pharmacia Animal Health, 7000 Portage Road, Kalamazoo, MI 49001 0199, USA
Int J Parasitol 32:1765-71. 2002..suum muscle membranes allowed the unambiguous conclusion that the N-terminal lysine is absolutely required for activation of the chloride channel and excludes interaction with the SDPNFLRFamide receptor...
- Analysis of the mdr-1 gene in patients co-infected with Onchocerca volvulus and Loa loa who experienced a post-ivermectin serious adverse eventCatherine Bourguinat
Institute of Parasitology, McGill University, Sainte Anne de Bellevue, Quebec, Canada
Am J Trop Med Hyg 83:28-32. 2010..An association of high Loa mf load and a genetic predisposition to altered IVM distribution could be involved in IVM SAEs...
- Activity of novel nicotinic anthelmintics in cut preparations of Caenorhabditis elegansElizabeth Ruiz-Lancheros
Institute of Parasitology, McGill University, Macdonald Campus, 21111 Lakeshore Road, Ste Anne de Bellevue, Quebec, Canada H9X 3V9
Int J Parasitol 41:455-61. 2011..The permeability properties of the C. elegans cuticle may be more restrictive than those of adult parasites, calling into question primary anthelmintic screening strategies that rely on this model organism...
- FMRFamide-like peptides encoded on the flp-18 precursor gene activate two isoforms of the orphan Caenorhabditis elegans G-protein-coupled receptor Y58G8A.4 heterologously expressed in mammalian cellsTeresa M Kubiak
Animal Health Global Discovery Research, Pfizer Inc, Kalamazoo, MI 49007, USA
Biopolymers 90:339-48. 2008..The matching of the FLP-18 peptides with their receptor(s) allows for the evaluation of the pharmacology of this system in the worm in vivo...
- Biophysical characterization of a large conductance anion channel in hypodermal membranes of the gastrointestinal nematode, Ascaris suumKevin L Blair
Pharmacia Corporation, Mailstop 7923 25 410, Kalamazoo, MI 49007 4940, USA
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 134:805-18. 2003..suum hypodermal membranes provides a low energy pathway for organic anion excretion from the hypodermal compartment, followed by diffusion across the aqueous channels of the cuticle matrix...
- Development of antiparasitic drugs in the 21st centuryTimothy G Geary
Pfizer Animal Health, 7000 Portage Road, Kalamazoo, MI 49001, USA
Vet Parasitol 115:167-84. 2003..Nonetheless, there are many new opportunities to expand the research horizons of veterinary parasitology to strengthen the case for retaining a significant presence in the animal health industry...
- Stage- and gender-specific proteomic analysis of Brugia malayi excretory-secretory productsYovany Moreno
Institute of Parasitology, McGill University, Ste Anne de Bellevue, Quebec, Canada
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 2:e326. 2008..Little is known about the composition and variability of products released at different developmental stages and their contribution to parasite survival and progression of the infection...
- Proteomic analysis of excretory-secretory products of Heligmosomoides polygyrus assessed with next-generation sequencing transcriptomic informationYovany Moreno
Institute of Parasitology and Centre for Host Parasite Interactions, McGill University, Ste Anne de Bellevue, Quebec, Canada
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 5:e1370. 2011..polygyrus biology. In addition, the methods and analyses presented here are applicable to study biochemical and molecular aspects of the host-parasite relationship in species for which sequence information is not available...
- Neuropeptide G-protein-coupled receptors, their cognate ligands and behavior in Caenorhabditis elegansTimothy G Geary
Pfizer Animal Health, Veterinary Medicine Pharmaceuticals Discovery Research, 7000 Portage Road, Kalamazoo, MI 49001, USA
Trends Pharmacol Sci 26:56-8. 2005..These studies suggest that these peptide GPCRs are legitimate targets for the discovery of novel anthelmintic agents...
- Association of BoLA DRB3 and DQA1 alleles with susceptibility to Neospora caninum and reproductive outcome in Quebec Holstein cattleAnne E Schwab
Departement des Sciences Cliniques, Faculte de Medecine Veterinaire, Universite de Montreal, St Hyacinthe, Quebec, Canada
Vet Parasitol 165:136-40. 2009..caninum. However, an association of allele DRB3*1001 and allele DRB3*2703 with resistance and susceptibility to pregnancy loss, irrespective of infection status, was identified...
- Anthelmintic paraherquamides are cholinergic antagonists in gastrointestinal nematodes and mammalsErich W Zinser
Pharmacia Animal Health, Kalamazoo, MI 49001 0019, USA
J Vet Pharmacol Ther 25:241-50. 2002..the alpha7 CNS subtype. PHQ anthelmintics are nicotinic cholinergic antagonists in both nematodes and mammals, and this mechanism appears to underlie both their efficacy and toxicity...
- Marcfortine and paraherquamide class of anthelmintics: discovery of PNU-141962Byung H Lee
Animal Health Discovery Research, Kalamazoo, MI 49001, USA
Curr Top Med Chem 2:779-93. 2002..This review describes the chemistry, efficacy and mode of action of PNU-141962...
- Molecular helminthology: an integrated approachPhilip T LoVerde
School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, State University of New York at Buffalo, 14214, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 66:346-7. 2002
- Drug discovery: fresh hope to can the wormsRoger K Prichard
Nature 452:157-8. 2008
- The changing landscape of antiparasitic drug discovery for veterinary medicineTimothy G Geary
Trends Parasitol 20:449-55. 2004..Novel drugs are needed to combat drug resistance and for currently non-addressed problems. At the center of the future for this field, however, lies the need for more support into the basic research on the biology of parasites...
- Neuropeptide signaling systems - potential drug targets for parasite and pest controlAaron G Maule
Parasitology Research Group, School of Biology and Biochemistry, Queen s University Belfast, Belfast BT9 7BL, UK
Curr Top Med Chem 2:733-58. 2002..Moreover, there is now increasing evidence of cross-phyla activity for individual FaRPs, providing clear signals of opportunities for target selection and the identification and development of broad-spectrum drugs...