Affiliation: McGill University
- International migration and caesarean birth: a systematic review and meta-analysisLisa Merry
Ingram School of Nursing, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 13:27. 2013..A systematic review was conducted to determine if migrants in Western industrialized countries consistently have different rates of caesarean than receiving-country-born women and to identify the reasons that explain these differences...
- Developing population interventions with migrant women for maternal-child health: a focused ethnographyAnita J Gagnon
Ingram School of Nursing, McGill University, 3506 University St, Room 207, Montreal QC H3A 2A7, Canada
BMC Public Health 13:471. 2013....
- Predictors of emergency cesarean delivery among international migrant women in CanadaAnita J Gagnon
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, McGill University, Montreal, Canada Ingram School of Nursing, McGill University, Montreal, Canada Electronic address
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 121:270-4. 2013..To determine the predictors of emergency cesarean delivery among international migrant women...
- Cesarean section rate differences by migration indicatorsAnita J Gagnon
Ingram School of Nursing and Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Arch Gynecol Obstet 287:633-9. 2013..To answer the question: are there differences in cesarean section rates among childbearing women in Canada according to selected migration indicators?..
- International migration to Canada: the post-birth health of mothers and infants by immigration classAnita J Gagnon
McGill University, Canada
Soc Sci Med 76:197-207. 2013..Policy and program mechanisms to address migrants' needs would best be developed within the various immigration classes...
- Cross-border movement and women's health: how to capture the dataLisa Merry
School of Nursing, McGill University, 3506 University St, Montreal, QC, H3A 2A7, Canada
Int J Equity Health 10:56. 2011..abstract:..
- Do referrals work? Responses of childbearing newcomers to referrals for careA J Gagnon
School of Nursing, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, McGill University, 3506 University St, Montreal, Quebec H3A 2A7, USA
J Immigr Minor Health 12:559-68. 2010..We sought to explore the inhibitors and facilitators of migrant women for following through with referrals for care...
- Aligning research to meet policy objectives for migrant families: an example from CanadaAj Gagnon
School of Nursing and Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, McGill University, 3506 University Street, Montreal, Canada
Health Res Policy Syst 7:15. 2009..Greater specificity in federal priorities can be expected to more clearly direct future research within this policy-research partnership...
- Migration to western industrialised countries and perinatal health: a systematic reviewA J Gagnon
McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Soc Sci Med 69:934-46. 2009..Research that uses clear, specific migrant definitions, adjusts for relevant risk factors and includes other aspects of migrant experience is needed to confirm and understand these associations...
- South Asian migrant women and HIV/STIs: knowledge, attitudes and practices and the role of sexual powerAnita J Gagnon
School of Nursing and Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, McGill University, and Women s Health Mission, McGill University Health Centre, 3506 University Street, Montreal, Canada
Health Place 16:10-5. 2010..Knowledge gaps and stigmatizing attitudes were found. STI/HIV information available in one's language and other educational strategies that consider women's Power may improve KAP among South Asian migrant women...
- Migration and perinatal health surveillance: an international Delphi surveyAnita J Gagnon
School of Nursing and Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 149:37-43. 2010....
- International migration and gestational diabetes mellitus: a systematic review of the literature and meta-analysisAnita J Gagnon
School of Nursing, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada
Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 25:575-92. 2011..Research using clear, specific migrant definitions, adjusting for relevant risk factors and including other aspects of migration experiences is needed to confirm and understand these findings...
- Indicators nurses employ in deciding to test for hyperbilirubinemiaA J Gagnon
Centre for Nursing Research, Sir Mortimer B Davis Jewish General Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs 30:626-33. 2001..To identify the indicators nurses employ in deciding to test healthy full-term newborns for total serum bilirubin in the absence of a written protocol...
- Refugee and refugee-claimant women and infants post-birth: migration histories as a predictor of Canadian health system response to needsAnita J Gagnon
School of Nursing and Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, McGill University, 3506 University St, Montreal, QC H3A 2A7
Can J Public Health 98:287-91. 2007....
- Randomized trial of postpartum care after hospital dischargeAnita J Gagnon
School of Nursing, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Pediatrics 109:1074-80. 2002..quot;Is there a difference in breastfeeding frequency or infant weight gain for singleton infants discharged within 36 hours' postpartum who received either community nurse (home visit) or hospital nurse (clinic) follow-up?"..
- Pain in the emergency department with one-week follow-up of pain resolutionC Celeste Johnston
McGill University School of Nursing, Montreal, Quebec
Pain Res Manag 10:67-70. 2005..To determine the intensity of pain in the emergency department (ED), the use of analgesics in relation to pain intensity, which patients are at risk for unresolved pain at one week post-discharge, and the postdischarge treatment of pain...
- The research program coordinator: an example of effective managementLisa Merry
Migration and Reproductive Health Research Program MiRHR, School of Nursing, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
J Prof Nurs 26:223-31. 2010..The advanced role of a PC also warrants opportunities for professional development and a competitive salary. A PC is an effective approach for research management and a natural role for professional nurse...
- A systematic review of questionnaires measuring the health of resettling refugee womenAnita J Gagnon
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, McGill University and McGill University Health Centre Royal Victoria Hospital Site, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Health Care Women Int 25:111-49. 2004..Fifty-six studies using 47 questionnaires were identified; only five had strong evidence for use with resettling refugee women. Thus, few high-quality tools are available to measure concepts relevant to resettling refugee women's health...
- Enhancing research with migrant women through focus groupsLuciana Ruppenthal
School of Nursing, McGill University
West J Nurs Res 27:735-54. 2005..Preliminary work applying focus-group methods to mixed ethno-cultural groups yielded valuable information on appropriateness of planned research...
- Self-reported pain intensity and associated distress in children aged 4-18 years on admission, discharge, and one-week follow up to emergency departmentC Celeste Johnston
McGill University School of Nursing, Montreal, QC, Canada
Pediatr Emerg Care 21:342-6. 2005..The purpose of this study was to describe pain intensity, distress from pain, and treatment of pain in children presenting to the ED and to follow them 1 week later to describe resolution of their pain...
- Meaning-making intervention during breast or colorectal cancer treatment improves self-esteem, optimism, and self-efficacyVirginia Lee
McGill University Health Centre, Montreal General Hospital, Montreal, Canada
Soc Sci Med 62:3133-45. 2006..The results are discussed in light of the theoretical and clinical implications of meaning-making coping in the context of stress and illness...
- Meaning-making and psychological adjustment to cancer: development of an intervention and pilot resultsVirgina Lee
School of Nursing, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Oncol Nurs Forum 33:291-302. 2006..To develop an intervention that uniquely addresses the existential impact of cancer through meaning-making coping strategies and to explore the intervention's impact on psychological adjustment...
- Clarifying "meaning" in the context of cancer research: a systematic literature reviewVirginia Lee
School of Nursing, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec H3G 1A4, Canada
Palliat Support Care 2:291-303. 2004..This article synthesizes the published literature related to the construct of meaning in the adult cancer population...
- Strengthening data quality in studies of migrants not fluent in host languages: a Canadian example with reproductive health questionnairesFay J Strohschein
School of Nursing, McGill University, 3506 University Street, Montreal, Quebec, H3A 2A7, Canada
Res Nurs Health 33:369-79. 2010....
- Partnering with migrant friendly organizations: a case example from a Canadian school of nursingJason Hickey
McGill University, Wilson Hall, Room 207, 3506 University St, Montreal, QC H3A 2A7, Canada
Nurse Educ Today 30:67-72. 2010..Potential implications of this partnership include benefits to all parties involved that may help us move towards increased population and public health capacity...
- Continuity of nursing care and its link to cesarean birth rateAnita J Gagnon
McGill University School of Nursing and Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Birth 34:26-31. 2007....
- Predictors of early parenting self-efficacy: results of a prospective cohort studyJanet Bryanton
School of Nursing, University of Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
Nurs Res 57:252-9. 2008..The literature is inconsistent regarding the predictors of parenting self-efficacy, and there is limited evidence regarding these predictors in the early postpartum period...
- The association between specific nurse case management interventions and elder healthConstance Schein
Saint Anne of Winona Benedictine Health System, Winona, Minnesota, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 53:597-602. 2005..To describe the association between specific nursing interventions performed in the context of nurse case management and older people's quality of life and functional ability...
- Evidence of adequacy of postpartum care for immigrant womenDeborah Katz
Vancouver Coastal Health Authority, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Can J Nurs Res 34:71-81. 2002..Therefore a larger, more definitive investigation of these issues is imperative...
- In-hospital formula supplementation of healthy breastfeeding newbornsAnita J Gagnon
Fonds de la Recherche en Santé du Québec, Canada
J Hum Lact 21:397-405. 2005..Reassessing patterns of night feeds and encouraging breastfeeding at delivery may decrease supplementation. Trait anxiety reduction and the role of infant gender in supplementation merit further study...
- Predictors of women's perceptions of the childbirth experienceJanet Bryanton
School of Nursing at the University of Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs 37:24-34. 2008..To determine the factors that predict women's perceptions of the childbirth experience and to examine whether these vary with the type of birth a woman experiences...