Affiliation: McGill University
- Reflections on depression as a cardiac risk factorNancy Frasure-Smith
Department of Psychiatry, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Psychosom Med 67:S19-25. 2005..We wondered what was missing from the available data...
- Depression, C-reactive protein and two-year major adverse cardiac events in men after acute coronary syndromesNancy Frasure-Smith
Department of Psychiatry and School of Nursing, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Biol Psychiatry 62:302-8. 2007....
- Depression screening and patient outcomes in cardiovascular care: a systematic reviewBrett D Thombs
Department of Psychiatry, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
JAMA 300:2161-71. 2008..Several practice guidelines recommend that depression be evaluated and treated in patients with cardiovascular disease, but the potential benefits of this are unclear...
- Recent evidence linking coronary heart disease and depressionNancy Frasure-Smith
Department of Psychiatry and School of Nursing, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec
Can J Psychiatry 51:730-7. 2006....
- The relationships among heart rate variability, inflammatory markers and depression in coronary heart disease patientsNancy Frasure-Smith
Department of Psychiatry and School of Nursing, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Brain Behav Immun 23:1140-7. 2009..Interventions targeting regulation of both autonomic control and inflammation may be of particular importance...
- Depression and anxiety as predictors of 2-year cardiac events in patients with stable coronary artery diseaseNancy Frasure-Smith
Department of Psychiatry and School of Nursing, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Arch Gen Psychiatry 65:62-71. 2008..Anxiety and depression are associated with mechanisms that promote atherosclerosis. Most recent studies of emotional disturbances in coronary artery disease (CAD) have focused on depression only...
- Design and rationale for a randomized, controlled trial of interpersonal psychotherapy and citalopram for depression in coronary artery disease (CREATE)Nancy Frasure-Smith
Department of Psychiatry, McGill University, Montreal Canada
Psychosom Med 68:87-93. 2006....
- Anxiety sensitivity moderates prognostic importance of rhythm-control versus rate-control strategies in patients with atrial fibrillation and congestive heart failure: insights from the Atrial Fibrillation and Congestive Heart Failure TrialNancy Frasure-Smith
Heart Institute Research Centre, 5000 Belanger, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H1T 1C8
Circ Heart Fail 5:322-30. 2012..We assessed whether AS is associated with outcomes of rhythm-control versus rate-control in congestive heart failure (CHF) patients with AF...
- Are exercise stress tests appropriate for assessing myocardial ischemia in patients with major depressive disorder?Kim L Lavoie
Research Center, Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am Heart J 148:621-7. 2004....
- Effects of citalopram and interpersonal psychotherapy on depression in patients with coronary artery disease: the Canadian Cardiac Randomized Evaluation of Antidepressant and Psychotherapy Efficacy (CREATE) trialFrancois Lesperance
Department of Psychiatry, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
JAMA 297:367-79. 2007..Few randomized controlled trials have evaluated the efficacy of treatments for major depression in patients with coronary artery disease (CAD). None have simultaneously evaluated an antidepressant and short-term psychotherapy...
- Platelet and endothelial activity in comorbid major depression and coronary artery disease patients treated with citalopram: the Canadian Cardiac Randomized Evaluation of Antidepressant and Psychotherapy Efficacy Trial (CREATE) biomarker sub-studyLouis T Van Zyl
Department of Psychiatry, Queen s University, Kingston, ON, Canada
J Thromb Thrombolysis 27:48-56. 2009..We assessed whether treatment of depressed CAD patients with citalopram alters platelet/endothelial biomarkers. The study was performed within the framework of the CREATE trial...
- An open-label study of nefazodone treatment of major depression in patients with congestive heart failureFrancois Lesperance
Department of Psychiatry, Centre Hospitalier, l Université de Montréal, 3850 St Urbain, Montreal, QC H2W 1T8
Can J Psychiatry 48:695-701. 2003....
- The association between major depression and levels of soluble intercellular adhesion molecule 1, interleukin-6, and C-reactive protein in patients with recent acute coronary syndromesFrancois Lesperance
Department of Psychiatry, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am J Psychiatry 161:271-7. 2004..This study was conducted to determine whether or not depression is associated with higher levels of inflammatory markers in patients recovering from acute coronary syndromes...
- Five-year risk of cardiac mortality in relation to initial severity and one-year changes in depression symptoms after myocardial infarctionFrancois Lesperance
Department of Psychiatry, University of Montreal and McGill University, Canada
Circulation 105:1049-53. 2002..Although previous research demonstrated an independent link between depression symptoms and cardiac mortality after myocardial infarction (MI), depression was assessed only once, and a dose-response relationship was not evaluated...
- Cardiac resynchronization therapy in patients with heart failure and a QRS complex <120 milliseconds: the Evaluation of Resynchronization Therapy for Heart Failure (LESSER-EARTH) trialBernard Thibault
Montreal Heart Institute, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, QB, Canada
Circulation 127:873-81. 2013..Although the benefits of cardiac resynchronization therapy are well established in selected patients with heart failure and a prolonged QRS duration, salutary effects in patients with narrow QRS complexes remain to be demonstrated...
- Evaluation of resynchronization therapy for heart failure in patients with a QRS duration greater than 120 ms (GREATER-EARTH) trial: rationale, design, and baseline characteristicsBernard Thibault
Montreal Heart Institute and Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Can J Cardiol 27:779-86. 2011..Despite its demonstrated salutary effects on clinical evolution, left ventricular (LV) function, and overall survival, at least 30% of patients fail to respond to CRT...
- Long-term survival differences among low-anxious, high-anxious and repressive copers enrolled in the Montreal heart attack readjustment trialNancy Frasure-Smith
Department of Psychiatry, McGill University, Research Center, Montreal Heart Institute, QC, Canada
Psychosom Med 64:571-9. 2002..The potential mediating roles of medications, medical care utilization, and changes in negative emotions over the program are also explored...
- Depression and other psychological risks following myocardial infarctionNancy Frasure-Smith
Department of Psychiatry and the School of Nursing, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Arch Gen Psychiatry 60:627-36. 2003..There is consistent evidence that depression symptoms predict long-term mortality following a myocardial infarction, and recent results show a dose-related gradient. The importance of other psychological variables remains unclear...
- Quality of life and functional capacity in patients with atrial fibrillation and congestive heart failureIrina Suman-Horduna
Montreal Heart Institute and Montreal Heart Institute Coordinating Center, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Am Coll Cardiol 61:455-60. 2013..This study sought to assess the impact of rhythm- versus rate-control treatment strategies and of underlying rhythm on quality of life and functional capacity in patients with atrial fibrillation (AF) and congestive heart failure (CHF)...
- Depression and heart diseaseFrancois Lesperance
Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, Montreal Heart Institute, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Cleve Clin J Med 74:S63-6. 2007
- Elevated depression symptoms predict long-term cardiovascular mortality in patients with atrial fibrillation and heart failureNancy Frasure-Smith
Montreal Heart Institute Research Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Circulation 120:134-40, 3p following 140. 2009....
- Inequities in medical follow-up for depression: a population-based study in MontrealJanie Houle
Department of Psychology, Universite du Quebec a Montreal, Case Postale 8888, Succursale Centre Ville, Montreal, Quebec H3C 3P8, Canada
Psychiatr Serv 61:258-63. 2010..The aim of this study was to measure the quality of medical follow-up of depression in a universal-access health care system and identify its main correlates...
- The efficacy of omega-3 supplementation for major depression: a randomized controlled trialFrancois Lesperance
Department of Psychiatry, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, 1560 Sherbrooke E, Montreal, Quebec H2L 4M1, Canada
J Clin Psychiatry 72:1054-62. 2011..To document the short-term efficacy of omega-3 supplementation in reducing depressive symptoms in patients experiencing a major depressive episode (MDE)...
- Myocardial perfusion study of panic attacks in patients with coronary artery diseaseRichard Fleet
Research Center, Montreal Heart Institute, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am J Cardiol 96:1064-8. 2005..Thus, despite being on their cardiac medications, panic attacks preferentially induced significant perfusion defects in patients who had CAD and PD. In conclusion, panic attacks in patients who have CAD appear to be bad for the heart...
- Assessment and treatment of depression in patients with cardiovascular disease: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute working group reportKarina W Davidson
Department of Medicine, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY 10032, USA, and Centre Hospitalier de l'Universite de Montreal Research Center, Quebec, Canada
Ann Behav Med 32:121-6. 2006
- Major depression is associated with lower omega-3 fatty acid levels in patients with recent acute coronary syndromesNancy Frasure-Smith
Department of Psychiatry, Sainte-Foy, Quebec, Canada
Biol Psychiatry 55:891-6. 2004..Dietary, genetic, and hormonal factors may all play a role in both depression and CAD. Both prospective studies and randomized trials are needed to help clarify the interrelationships...
- Depression and anxiety and outcomes of coronary artery bypass surgeryVirginie Pignay-Demaria
Department of Psychosomatic Medicine, Montreal Heart Institute, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Ann Thorac Surg 75:314-21. 2003....
- Depression and coronary heart disease: recommendations for screening, referral, and treatment: a science advisory from the American Heart Association Prevention Committee of the Council on Cardiovascular Nursing, Council on Clinical Cardiology, Council onJudith H Lichtman
Circulation 118:1768-75. 2008..This multispecialty consensus document reviews the evidence linking depression with CHD and provides recommendations for healthcare providers for the assessment, referral, and treatment of depression...
- Sertraline for treatment of depression in acute coronary syndromesFrancois Lesperance
JAMA 288:2403; author reply 2403-4. 2002
- Depression and coronary artery diseaseNancy Frasure-Smith
, , Recherche Psychiatrie, , , Canada
Herz 31:64-8. 2006..Additional clinical trials to assess the impact of omega-3 supplements on depression are clearly warranted both in CAD patients and in individuals free of heart disease...
- An open-label trial of interpersonal psychotherapy in depressed patients with coronary diseaseDiana Koszycki
University of Ottawa Heart Institute and the Institute of Mental Health Research, Royal Ottawa Hospital, ONT Canada
Psychosomatics 45:319-24. 2004..The therapy was well tolerated and accepted by patients, with a high proportion achieving remission. Future randomized clinical trials are needed to establish its efficacy...
- Depression and coronary artery disease: time to move from observation to trialsFrancois Lesperance
Department of Psychiatry, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, QC
CMAJ 168:570-1. 2003
- The INTERHEART study: intersection between behavioral and general medicineDavid S Sheps
Psychosom Med 66:797-8. 2004
- Depression--a cardiac risk factor in search of a treatmentNancy Frasure-Smith
JAMA 289:3171-3. 2003
- Coronary heart disease and depression: the next stepsNancy Frasure-Smith
Can J Psychiatry 51:727-9. 2006
- Assessment and treatment of depression in patients with cardiovascular disease: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Working Group ReportKarina W Davidson
Department of Medicine, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 622 W 168th St, PH9 Center, Room 941, New York, NY 10032, USA
Psychosom Med 68:645-50. 2006..The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute convened an interdisciplinary working group of experts to develop recommendations for the assessment and treatment of depression in patients with coronary heart disease (CHD)...
- Nursing approaches to reducing psychological distress in men and women recovering from myocardial infarctionSylvie Cossette
Faculty of Nursing, University of Montreal, Canada
Int J Nurs Stud 39:479-94. 2002..There were also gender differences in the way directive and collaborative intervention approaches were related to changes in distress...
- Antiplatelet properties of escitalopram in patients with the metabolic syndrome: a dose-ranging in vitro studyDan Atar
Division of Cardiology, Aker University Hospital and Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Neuropsychopharmacology 32:2369-74. 2007..These data justify prospective ex vivo studies with the highest therapeutic dose to determine the potential clinical advantage of ESC in high-risk patients with vascular disease...
- Additive effects of obesity and TCF7L2 variants on risk for type 2 diabetes among cardiac patientsQing Ling Duan
Department of Medicine, , , Canada
Diabetes Care 30:1621-3. 2007
- Common genetic vulnerability to depressive symptoms and coronary artery disease: a review and development of candidate genes related to inflammation and serotoninJeanne M McCaffery
Weight Control and Diabetes Research Center, Brown Medical School, Miriam Hospital, Providence, RI, USA
Psychosom Med 68:187-200. 2006..We conclude with an overview of select candidate genes within these pathways...
- Probable need for psychiatric treatment is not the same as depressionNancy Frasure-Smith
Eur Heart J 25:994-5; author reply 995-6. 2004
- Mood disorders in the medically ill: scientific review and recommendationsDwight L Evans
School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, 423 Guardian Drive, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Biol Psychiatry 58:175-89. 2005....
- Depression as a risk factor for post-MI mortalityRobert M Carney
J Am Coll Cardiol 44:472; author reply 473-4. 2004