Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: McGill University
- Social skills training for adolescents with Asperger syndrome and high-functioning autismJeanie Tse
Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, McGill University Health Center, Montreal, QC, Canada
J Autism Dev Disord 37:1960-8. 2007..Parent-reported improvement suggests that social skills learned in group sessions generalize to settings outside the treatment group. Larger, controlled studies of social skills training groups would be valuable...
- Epidemiological surveys of autism and other pervasive developmental disorders: an updateEric Fombonne
McGill University, Department of Psychiatry, The Montreal Children s Hospital, 4018 St Catherine St W, Montreal, QC H3Z 1P2, Canada
J Autism Dev Disord 33:365-82. 2003..However, available epidemiological surveys do not provide an adequate test of the hypothesis of a changing incidence of PDDs...
- Pervasive developmental disorders in preschool children: confirmation of high prevalenceSuniti Chakrabarti
Child Development Centre, Central Clinic, Stafford, UK
Am J Psychiatry 162:1133-41. 2005..The rate in this study is comparable to that in previous birth cohorts from the same area and surveyed with the same methods, suggesting a stable incidence...
- Epidemiology of autistic disorder and other pervasive developmental disordersEric Fombonne
Department of Psychiatry, McGill University, Montreal Children s Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Clin Psychiatry 66:3-8. 2005..In addition, data from many of these surveys indicate correlates of autistic disorder and other PDDs with IQ, gender, and other medical disorders...
- Pervasive developmental disorders in Montreal, Quebec, Canada: prevalence and links with immunizationsEric Fombonne
Department of Psychiatry, McGill University, Montreal Children s Hospital, 4018 Ste Catherine West, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3Z 1P2
Pediatrics 118:e139-50. 2006..The prevalence of pervasive developmental disorders has increased in recent years. Links with the measles component of the measles-mumps-rubella vaccine and the cumulative exposure to thimerosal through other vaccines have been postulated...
- Screening for autism in MexicoEric Fombonne
Departments of Psychiatry and Pediatrics, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada
Autism Res 5:180-9. 2012..The SRS is an acceptable screening instrument for epidemiological studies of ASDs in Mexico. Its psychometric properties are excellent and comparable to those derived from North American and other samples...
- Implementation and evaluation of a harm-reduction model for clinical care of substance using pregnant womenTricia E Wright
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Women s Health, University of Hawaii John A, Burns School of Medicine, 1319 Punahou St, Ste, 824, Honolulu, HI 96826 USA
Harm Reduct J 9:5. 2012..abstract:..
- Validation of the diagnosis of autism in general practitioner recordsEric Fombonne
McGill University, Montreal Children s Hospital, 4018 St Catherine St West, Montreal, QC, Canada, H3Z 1P2
BMC Public Health 4:5. 2004....
- Thimerosal disappears but autism remainsEric Fombonne
Department of Psychiatry, Montreal Children's Hospital, 4018 Ste Catherine W, Montreal, QC H3Z 1P2, Canada
Arch Gen Psychiatry 65:15-6. 2008
- MMR and autistic enterocolitis: consistent epidemiological failure to find an associationE Fombonne
Department of Psychiatry, Montreal Children's Hospital, 4108 Ste-Catherine West, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3Z 1P2
Mol Psychiatry 8:133-4. 2003
- Epidemiologic data on Asperger disorderEric Fombonne
McGill University, Department of Psychiatry, Montreal Children s Hospital, 4018 Saint Catherine Street West, Montreal, Quebec, QC H3Z 1P2, Canada
Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am 12:15-21, v-vi. 2003..This article reviews available epidemiologic surveys that have shed light on the prevalence of AD...
- Prevalence of childhood disintegrative disorderEric Fombone
McGill University, Department of Psychiatry, The Montreal Children s Hospital, QC, Canada
Autism 6:149-57. 2002..If a rate of 30 per 10,000 is taken for all PDDs, only one child out of 175 children with a PDD diagnosis would, on average, meet criteria for CDD...
- Epidemiology of pervasive developmental disordersEric Fombonne
Department of Psychiatry, Montreal Children s Hospital of the McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Pediatr Res 65:591-8. 2009....
- Epidemiological trends in rates of autismE Fombonne
Division of Child Psychiatry, The Montreal Children's Hospital, McGill University, 4018 St Catherine Street West, Montreal, Quebec H3Z 1P2, Canada
Mol Psychiatry 7:S4-6. 2002
- Novel de novo SHANK3 mutation in autistic patientsJulie Gauthier
Centre of Excellence in Neuromics of Université de Montréal, CHUM Research Centre, Notre Dame Hospital, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, QC, Canada
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 150:421-4. 2009..These results further support the role of SHANK3 gene disruption in the etiology of ASD...
- Truncating mutations in NRXN2 and NRXN1 in autism spectrum disorders and schizophreniaJulie Gauthier
Centre of Excellence in Neuromics of Université de Montréal, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Canada
Hum Genet 130:563-73. 2011..Our findings link NRXN2 disruption to the pathogenesis of ASD for the first time and further strengthen the involvement of NRXN1 in SCZ, supporting the notion of a common genetic mechanism in these disorders...
- Breastfeeding and child cognitive development: new evidence from a large randomized trialMichael S Kramer
Department of Pediatrics, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Arch Gen Psychiatry 65:578-84. 2008....
- Mutations in SYNGAP1 in autosomal nonsyndromic mental retardationFadi F Hamdan
Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Sainte Justine Research Center, Centre of Excellence in Neuromics, Universite de Montreal, QC, Canada
N Engl J Med 360:599-605. 2009..These results indicate that SYNGAP1 disruption is a cause of autosomal dominant nonsyndromic mental retardation...
- Health and development outcomes in 6.5-y-old children breastfed exclusively for 3 or 6 moMichael S Kramer
Department of Pediatrics, McGill University Faculty of Medicine, Montreal, Canada
Am J Clin Nutr 90:1070-4. 2009..Despite the current World Health Organization recommendation that infants be exclusively breastfed for 6 mo, this practice remains unusual in both developed and developing countries...
- Direct measure of the de novo mutation rate in autism and schizophrenia cohortsPhilip Awadalla
Department of Pediatrics, Universite de Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am J Hum Genet 87:316-24. 2010..Our results emphasize the importance of DNMs as genetic mechanisms in ASD and SCZ and the limitations of using DNA from archived cell lines to identify functional variants...
- Long-term behavioural consequences of infant feeding: the limits of observational studiesMichael S Kramer
Department of Pediatrics, McGill University Faculty of Medicine, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 25:500-6. 2011..The absence of associations based on ITT analyses, in contrast with the significant associations based on observed breast-feeding duration, strongly suggests that the latter are biased by residual confounding...
- Mutations in the calcium-related gene IL1RAPL1 are associated with autismAmelie Piton
Centre for Excellence in Neuromics, CHUM Research Center and Department of Medicine, University of Montreal, Montreal, QC, Canada H2L 4M1
Hum Mol Genet 17:3965-74. 2008..All together, our results indicate that mutations in IL1RAPL1 cause a spectrum of neurological impairments ranging from MR to high functioning autism...
- De novo truncating mutation in Kinesin 17 associated with schizophreniaJulien Tarabeux
Department of Medicine, Center of Excellence in Neuromics of Université de Montréal, Centre Hospitalier de L Universite de Montreal Research Center, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Biol Psychiatry 68:649-56. 2010..The gene encoding the synaptic motor protein kinesin 17 (KIF17) involved in glutamatergic synapse is a candidate gene for SCZ...
- Emotion perception in music in high-functioning adolescents with Autism Spectrum DisordersEve Marie Quintin
Department of Psychology, Universite du Quebec a Montreal, C P 8888, Succ Centre Ville, Montreal, QC H3C 3P8, Canada
J Autism Dev Disord 41:1240-55. 2011..incorrectly) recognized the emotions. These findings are reviewed within the context of the amygdala theory of autism...
- Suicidal behaviours in a population-based sample of French youthValérie J Fedorowicz
Department of Psychiatry, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec
Can J Psychiatry 52:772-9. 2007..To estimate the prevalence of suicidal ideation and behaviours in a large, representative sample of French youth and to evaluate age and sex correlates...
- Duration of gestation, size at birth and later childhood behaviourSeungmi Yang
Department of Epidemiology, Biostatistics and Occupational Health, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 25:377-87. 2011..Among school-age children born at term within normal range of birthweight, fetal growth, but not gestational age, was associated with behavioural problem scores...
- The impact of bilingual environments on language development in children with autism spectrum disordersCatherine Hambly
Department of Psychiatry, Montreal Children s Hospital, McGill University, 4018 Ste Catherine West, Montreal, QC H3Z 1P2, Canada
J Autism Dev Disord 42:1342-52. 2012..025), there were no significant group differences in language level. Bilingually-exposed children with ASDs did not experience additional delays in language development...
- De novo mutations in FOXP1 in cases with intellectual disability, autism, and language impairmentFadi F Hamdan
Centre of Excellence in Neuromics of Université de Montréal, Sainte Justine Hospital Research Center, Montreal, Canada
Am J Hum Genet 87:671-8. 2010..In conclusion, both FOXP1 and FOXP2 are associated with language impairment, but decrease of the former has a more global impact on brain development than that of the latter...
- Prevalence of pervasive developmental disorders among children at the English Montreal School BoardTamara Lazoff
Department of Psychiatry, Montreal Children s Hospital, McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, Quebec
Can J Psychiatry 55:715-20. 2010..Our objectives were to determine prevalence rates of PDDs among school-aged children, and to evaluate the impact of discontinuation of thimerosal use in 1996 in routine childhood vaccines on PDD rates...
- Global prevalence of autism and other pervasive developmental disordersMayada Elsabbagh
Department of Psychiatry, Montreal Children s Hospital, Montreal, Canada Birkbeck, University of London, London, UK
Autism Res 5:160-79. 2012..The lack of evidence from the majority of the world's population suggests a critical need for further research and capacity building in low- and middle-income countries...
- The effect of music on social attribution in adolescents with autism spectrum disordersAnjali K Bhatara
McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Child Neuropsychol 15:375-96. 2009..We conclude that adolescents with ASD perceive and integrate musical soundtracks with visual displays equivalent to typically developing individuals...
- Sensori-motor and daily living skills of preschool children with autism spectrum disordersEmmanuelle Jasmin
School of Physical and Occupational Therapy, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Autism Dev Disord 39:231-41. 2009..Sensori-motor deficits have an impact on the autonomy of children with ASD and interventions should aim at improving and supporting the development of sensori-motor skills...
- De novo STXBP1 mutations in mental retardation and nonsyndromic epilepsyFadi F Hamdan
Centre of Excellence in Neuromics of Université de Montréal and Synapse to Disease Group, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Sainte Justine Research Center, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Ann Neurol 65:748-53. 2009..These results suggest that STXBP1 disruption is associated with autosomal dominant mental retardation and nonsyndromic epilepsy...
- Diagnostic differentiation of autism spectrum disorders and pragmatic language impairmentLisa M Reisinger
Department of Educational and Counselling Psychology, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
J Autism Dev Disord 41:1694-704. 2011..Currently displayed Repetitive and Restricted Behaviors and Interests were not found to be useful for differentiating between groups. The similarities found between groups have important implications for intervention...
- Perception of emotion in musical performance in adolescents with autism spectrum disordersAnjali Bhatara
Department of Psychology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Autism Res 3:214-25. 2010..Implications for theories of emotion in autism are discussed in light of these findings...
- No evidence of persisting measles virus in peripheral blood mononuclear cells from children with autism spectrum disorderEric Fombonne
Division of Infectious Diseases, McGill University Health Center, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Pediatrics 118:1664-75. 2006..INTERPRETATION: There is no evidence of measles virus persistence in the peripheral blood mononuclear cells of children with autism spectrum disorder...
- Immune function in autistic childrenLara Stern
Department of Psychiatry, McGill University Health Center-Montreal Children's Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 95:558-65. 2005....
- Effects of prolonged and exclusive breastfeeding on child behavior and maternal adjustment: evidence from a large, randomized trialMichael S Kramer
Department of Pediatrics, McGill University Faculty of Medicine, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Pediatrics 121:e435-40. 2008..The objective of this study was to assess the long-term effects of breastfeeding on child behavior and maternal adjustment...
- Metabolic side effects of atypical antipsychotics in children: a literature reviewValérie J Fedorowicz
McGill University, Montreal Children s Hospital, Montreal, QC, Canada H32 1P2
J Psychopharmacol 19:533-50. 2005..Serious considerations should be given before initiating treatment and consistent clinical monitoring is essential. More research is needed, especially regarding glucose dysregulation and dyslipidaemia...
- NLGN3/NLGN4 gene mutations are not responsible for autism in the Quebec populationJulie Gauthier
Research Institute of the McGill University, Health Center, Cedar Ave, Montreal, H3G 1A4, Canada
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 132:74-5. 2005....
- MMR vaccination and pervasive developmental disorders: a case-control studyLiam Smeeth
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Lancet 364:963-9. 2004..We investigated whether MMR vaccination is associated with an increased risk of autism or other pervasive developmental disorders...
- Autism and MMR vaccination or thimerosal exposure: an urban legend?Michael Shevell
Can J Neurol Sci 33:339-40. 2006
- Are impaired childhood motor skills a risk factor for adolescent anxiety? Results from the 1958 U.K. birth cohort and the National Child Development StudyEngilbert Sigurdsson
Department of Psychiatry, Lanspitali University Hospital, Reykjavik, Iceland
Am J Psychiatry 159:1044-6. 2002..The authors investigated whether delayed childhood motor skills predicted persistent anxiety in adolescence among 6,850 subjects from a national 1958 U.K. birth cohort...
- High prevalence rates of tobacco, alcohol and drug use in adolescents and young adults in France: results from the GAZEL Youth studyMaria Melchior
MRC Centre for Social, Genetic and Developmental Psychiatry, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College, POBOX 080 De Crespigny Park, SE5 8AF, London, United Kingdom
Addict Behav 33:122-33. 2008..Rates of substance use among adolescents have increased in the 1990s, however little is known about current patterns of substance use among youths entering adulthood...
- Measuring the parental, service and cost impacts of children with autistic spectrum disorder: a pilot studyKrister Järbrink
Centre for the Economics of Mental Health, Health Service Research Department, The David Goldberg Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, De Crespigny Park, London SE5 8AF, UK
J Autism Dev Disord 33:395-402. 2003..Results from this small pilot study point to considerable economic burden for parents and give some indication of the associated costs of autistic spectrum disorder...
- Depression in paediatric cancer: an overviewMargaret Dejong
SW Thames and St Georges NHS Mental Health Trust, UK
Psychooncology 15:553-66. 2006..Hypotheses put forward to explain the findings are discussed. We conclude by highlighting areas for future research...
- Emergency presentations to an inner-city adolescent psychiatric serviceElaine Healy
Developmental Psychiatry, E Floor, South Block, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham, UK
J Adolesc 25:397-404. 2002..An understanding of what breaks down in the routine care of these young people would facilitate earlier identification and more effective prevention or early intervention for these vulnerable children and adolescents...
- The Maudsley long-term follow-up of child and adolescent depression. Predicting costs in adulthoodPaul McCrone
Centre for the Economics of Mental Health, Health Services Research Department, Institute of Psychiatry, King's College London, De Crespigny Park, London, UK
Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 14:407-13. 2005..CONCLUSIONS: It is possible to explain a reasonable amount of variation in adult service costs from factors describing the characteristics of children at the time of receiving care...
- Differences in early childhood risk factors for juvenile-onset and adult-onset depressionSara R Jaffee
Institute of Psychiatry, Social, Genetic, and Developmental Psychiatry Research Centre, 111 Denmark Hill, London SE5 8AF, England, UK
Arch Gen Psychiatry 59:215-22. 2002..This study is the first to distinguish prospectively between juvenile- and adult-onset cases of MDD in a representative birth cohort followed up from childhood into adulthood...
- Autism and newborn encephalopathyEric Fombonne
Dev Med Child Neurol 48:84. 2006
- Cost-impact of young adults with high-functioning autistic spectrum disorderKrister Järbrink
Centre for the Economics of Mental Health, Health Service Research Department, Institute of Psychiatry, De Crespigny Park, London SE5 8AF, UK
Res Dev Disabil 28:94-104. 2007..The study also contributes towards a methodology of economically evaluating supported employment programs as well as other interventions for people with high-functioning ASD...
- Evaluation of adverse effects of vaccines: the case-control approachLiam Smeeth
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK
Vaccine 20:2611-7. 2002..Finally the increasing use of electronic databases in the evaluation of vaccine adverse effects is considered...
- Mapping autism risk loci using genetic linkage and chromosomal rearrangementsPeter Szatmari
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioural Neurosciences, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario L8N 3Z5, Canada
Nat Genet 39:319-28. 2007..Neurexins team with previously implicated neuroligins for glutamatergic synaptogenesis, highlighting glutamate-related genes as promising candidates for contributing to ASDs...
- The life expectancy of children diagnosed with a pervasive developmental disorderEric Fombonne
J Autism Dev Disord 33:361. 2003
- Is autism getting commoner?Eric Fombonne
Br J Psychiatry 193:59. 2008
- Testing the 8-syndrome structure of the child behavior checklist in 30 societiesMasha Y Ivanova
Department of Psychiatry, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05401, USA
J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol 36:405-17. 2007..Fit indices strongly supported the correlated 8-syndrome structure in each of 30 societies. The results support use of the syndromes in diverse societies...
- Modern views of autismEric Fombonne
Can J Psychiatry 48:503-5. 2003
- The prevalence of autismEric Fombonne
JAMA 289:87-9. 2003
- Is exposure to alcohol during pregnancy a risk factor for autism?Eric Fombonne
J Autism Dev Disord 32:243. 2002
- Autism, bowel inflammation, and measlesLiam Smeeth
Lancet 359:2112-3. 2002
- Autism spectrum disorders: early detection, intervention, education, and psychopharmacological managementSusan E Bryson
Departments of Pediatrics and Psychology, IWK Health Centre, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Can J Psychiatry 48:506-16. 2003..Finally, psychotropic drugs may help to reduce some symptoms, but they are neither curative nor a substitute for other forms of support and intervention...
- Hyperactivity-inattention symptoms in childhood and substance use in adolescence: the youth gazel cohortCédric Galéra
Child Psychiatry Department, Universite Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, Bordeaux, France
Drug Alcohol Depend 94:30-7. 2008..This study addresses in both genders the relationship between childhood Hyperactivity-inattention symptoms and subsequent adolescent substance use, while controlling for psychiatric comorbidity, temperament and environmental risk factors...