Affiliation: McGill University
- Patterns of antibiotic use and risk of hospital admission because of Clostridium difficile infectionSandra Dial
Department of Medicine, Sir Mortimer B Davis Jewish General Hospital, McGill University, Montreal, Que
CMAJ 179:767-72. 2008....
- Is there a role for mask continuous positive airway pressure in acute respiratory failure due to COPD? Lessons from a retrospective audit of 3 different cohortsSandra Dial
Respiratory Epidemiology Unit, Montreal Chest Institute, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 1:65-72. 2006....
- Proton pump inhibitor use and enteric infectionsM Sandra Dial
Department of Medicine, Montreal Chest Institute and SMBD Jewish General Hospital, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am J Gastroenterol 104:S10-6. 2009..Concerns have been raised about the possible association of PPIs with enteric infections. This article reviews the studies that have examined the associations of proton pump inhibitors in particular, and enteric infections...
- Proton pump inhibitor use and risk of community-acquired Clostridium difficile-associated disease defined by prescription for oral vancomycin therapySandra Dial
Division of Clinical Epidemiology, Royal Victoria Hospital, McGill University Health Centre, and the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McGill University, Montreal, Que
CMAJ 175:745-8. 2006..In this study we re-examined a previously reported association between the use of proton pump inhibitors and the development of community-acquired CDAD, this time using an alternative case definition of the disease...
- Use of gastric acid-suppressive agents and the risk of community-acquired Clostridium difficile-associated diseaseSandra Dial
Division of Critical Care and Respiratory and Clinical Research, Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec
JAMA 294:2989-95. 2005..Recent reports suggest an increasing occurrence and severity of Clostridium difficile-associated disease. We assessed whether the use of gastric acid-suppressive agents is associated with an increased risk in the community...
- Hemodilution and surgical hemostasis contribute significantly to transfusion requirements in patients undergoing coronary artery bypassSandra Dial
Department of Critical Care, SMBD Jewish General Hospital, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 130:654-61. 2005....
- Risk of Clostridium difficile diarrhea among hospital inpatients prescribed proton pump inhibitors: cohort and case-control studiesSandra Dial
Department of Critical Care, Montreal Chest Institute, QC
CMAJ 171:33-8. 2004..Reduced gastric acidity has been suggested as a risk factor, and we hypothesized that proton pump inhibitors, because of their potency, may be an independent risk factor for this problem...
- Autotransfusion of shed mediastinal blood: a risk factor for mediastinitis after cardiac surgery? Results of a cluster investigationSandra Dial
Department of Critical Care, Sir Mortimer B Davis Jewish General Hospital, McGill University, Montreal, PQ, Canada
Chest 124:1847-51. 2003..After the introduction of autotransfusion of shed mediastinal blood following cardiac surgery, the incidence of mediastinitis increased. The role of autotransfusion in the increased occurrence of this serious complication was examined...
- Antimicrobial drugs and community-acquired Clostridium difficile-associated disease, UKJ A Chris Delaney
McGill University Health Center, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Emerg Infect Dis 13:761-3. 2007..CDAD risk increased 3-fold with use of any antimicrobial agent and 6-fold with use of fluoroquinolones. Prior use of antimicrobial agents did not affect risk for CDAD after 6 months...
- Antimicrobial drugs and community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, United KingdomVerena Schneider-Lindner
McGill University Health Center, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Emerg Infect Dis 13:994-1000. 2007..37, CI 2.80-4.09) and macrolides (OR 2.50, CI 2.14-2.91)...
- Invasive aspergillosis in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseasesAziz Muquim
Respiratory Epidemiology and Clinical Research Unit of the Montreal Chest Institute, Montreal, Qubec, Canada
Can Respir J 12:199-204. 2005..To determine the outcomes, and clinical and therapeutic factors associated with the development of invasive pulmonary aspergillosis (IPA) in patients with obstructive pulmonary diseases...
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and the risk of Clostridium difficile-associated diseaseDaniel Suissa
Division of Plastic Surgery, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Canada
Br J Clin Pharmacol 74:370-5. 2012..We assessed whether NSAID use in general, and diclofenac use in particular, is associated with an increased risk of CDAD...
- The relationship between inotrope exposure, six-hour postoperative physiological variables, hospital mortality and renal dysfunction in patients undergoing cardiac surgeryJason Shahin
Division of Critical Care, McGill University Health Centre, 687 Pine Avenue West, Montreal, QC H3A 1A1, Canada
Crit Care 15:R162. 2011..The aim of this study was to examine the relationship of inotrope use to hospital mortality and renal dysfunction...
- Risk factors for mortality following emergency colectomy for fulminant Clostridium difficile infectionJacques Pepin
University of Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
Dis Colon Rectum 52:400-5. 2009..This study evaluated risk factors for mortality after emergency colectomy for fulminant Clostridium difficile infection...
- Re-evaluation of acid-base prediction rules in patients with chronic respiratory acidosisTereza Martinu
Respiratory Epidemiology Unit, Montreal Chest Institute, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Can Respir J 10:311-5. 2003..This appears to contradict frequent observations of normal or near-normal pH levels in patients with chronic hypercapnia...