Affiliation: McGill University
- Effect of post-retrieval propranolol on psychophysiologic responding during subsequent script-driven traumatic imagery in post-traumatic stress disorderAlain Brunet
Department of Psychiatry, McGill University and Douglas Hospital Research Center, Montreal, QC, Canada
J Psychiatr Res 42:503-6. 2008....
- Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater (PTSD is not overdiagnosed)Alain Brunet
Department of Psychiatry, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec
Can J Psychiatry 52:501-2; discussion 503. 2007
- Posttraumatic stress disorder and treatment seeking in a nationally representative Canadian military sampleDeniz Fikretoglu
Department of Psychiatry, Douglas Hospital Research Centre and McGill University, Montreal, and St Anne s Hospital, Veterans Affairs Canada, Ste Anne de Bellevue, Quebec, Canada
J Trauma Stress 19:847-58. 2006..Interventions aimed at increasing treatment-seeking behaviors should be tailored to the specific needs of various subgroups of nontreatment seekers...
- An fMRI investigation of memory encoding in PTSD: influence of symptom severityErin W Dickie
Douglas Mental Health University Institute, Canada
Neuropsychologia 46:1522-31. 2008..These results confirm the roles of the vmPFC and the amygdala in PTSD and highlight the importance of taking into account individual differences when assessing the behavioural and neural correlates of the disorder...
- Validation of a French version of the impact of event scale-revisedAlain Brunet
McGill University and Douglas Hospital Research Centre, 6875 LaSalle Blvd, Verdun, QC H4H 1R3
Can J Psychiatry 48:56-61. 2003..This report presents a French translation and validation of the Impact of Event Scale-Revised (IES-R) in a population of women exposed to a natural disaster during or preceding pregnancy...
- Neural correlates of recovery from post-traumatic stress disorder: a longitudinal fMRI investigation of memory encodingErin W Dickie
Douglas Mental Health University Institute, 6875 LaSalle Boulevard, FBC Pavillon, Verdun, QC H4H 1R3, Canada
Neuropsychologia 49:1771-8. 2011..These results underscore the importance of longitudinal investigations for the identification of the differential neural structures associated with the expression and remission of anxiety disorders...
- The relationship between peritraumatic distress and peritraumatic dissociation: an examination of two competing modelsDeniz Fikretoglu
McGill University, Douglas Hospital Research Center, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Nerv Ment Dis 194:853-8. 2006....
- Mental health treatment seeking by military members with posttraumatic stress disorder: findings on rates, characteristics, and predictors from a nationally representative Canadian military sampleDeniz Fikretoglu
Douglas Hospital Research Centre, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec
Can J Psychiatry 52:103-10. 2007..The goal of this study was to identify rates, characteristics, and predictors of mental health treatment seeking by military members with posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)...
- Validation of the French version of the brief pain inventory in Canadian veterans suffering from traumatic stressJoaquin Poundja
University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Pain Symptom Manage 33:720-6. 2007..Overall, the French version of the BPI is a reliable, valid measure of pain in PTSD-suffering populations. Pain is a major issue in veterans with PTSD, and should be screened for with instruments such as the BPI...
- Twelve month use of mental health services in a nationally representative, active military sampleDeniz Fikretoglu
Douglas Hospital Research Centre, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Med Care 46:217-23. 2008..Mental disorders constitute a significant public health problem in active military populations. However, very little is known about patterns of mental health service use in these populations...
- Trauma reactivation plus propranolol is associated with durably low physiological responding during subsequent script-driven traumatic imageryAlain Brunet
Director of the Psychosocial Research Division, Douglas Mental Health University Institute, Montreal, Quebec Associate Professor, Department of Psychiatry, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec
Can J Psychiatry 59:228-32. 2014..We hypothesized that this effect would extend beyond 1 week using a modified treatment approach...
- Amygdala response in patients with acute PTSD to masked and unmasked emotional facial expressionsJorge L Armony
Douglas Hospital Research Centre, McGill University, 6875 LaSalle Blvd, F B C Pavilion, Verdun, Quebec H4H 1R3, Canada
Am J Psychiatry 162:1961-3. 2005..This study used functional magnetic resonance imaging to investigate amygdala response in patients with acute posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) to emotional expressions...
- Prenatal exposure to a natural disaster increases risk for obesity in 5½-year-old childrenKelsey Needham Dancause
Psychosocial Research Division, Douglas Hospital Research Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Pediatr Res 71:126-31. 2012..Our objective was to determine whether PNMS resulting from a natural disaster influenced risk of childhood obesity...
- Peritraumatic distress but not dissociation predicts posttraumatic stress disorder in the elderlyAlain Brunet
McGill University and Douglas Mental Health University Institute, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Int Psychogeriatr 25:1007-12. 2013..Extending previous research in this field in adults and children, the aim of our study was to assess the utility of peri-traumatic dissociation and distress as a predictor of PTSD in the elderly...
- Peritraumatic fear, helplessness and horror and peritraumatic dissociation: do physical and cognitive symptoms of panic mediate the relationship between the two?Deniz Fikretoglu
Douglas Hospital Research Center, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Behav Res Ther 45:39-47. 2007..The results also raise the possibility, however, that the mediational role of panic may be further moderated by additional variables...
- Validation of the Peritraumatic Dissociative Experiences Questionnaire self-report version in two samples of French-speaking individuals exposed to traumaPhilippe Birmes
Department of Psychiatry and Douglas Hospital Research Center, Psychosocial Research Division, McGill University, Montreal, Que Canada
Eur Psychiatry 20:145-51. 2005..The Peritraumatic Dissociative Experiences Questionnaire (PDEQ) is a self-report inventory used to assess dissociation that occurred at the time of a trauma. The aim of this study was the validation the PDEQ in French...
- Peritraumatic distress and the course of posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms: a meta-analysisEmilie Thomas
Department of Psychology, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Can J Psychiatry 57:122-9. 2012..To examine how peritraumatic distress modulates the severity of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) according to the timing of the PTSD symptom assessments...
- Validation of the deployment risk and resilience inventory in French-Canadian veterans: findings on the relation between deployment experiences and postdeployment healthDeniz Fikretoglu
Douglas Hospital Research Centre, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec
Can J Psychiatry 51:755-63. 2006..This study had a twofold purpose: to validate the French-Canadian version of a measure of deployment risk and resilience factors and to examine the relation between deployment risk and resilience factors and postdeployment functioning...
- Prenatal maternal stress from a natural disaster predicts dermatoglyphic asymmetry in humansSuzanne King
Douglas Hospital Research Centre, Verdun, Quebec, Canada
Dev Psychopathol 21:343-53. 2009..56). Prenatal maternal stress during the period of fingerprint development results in greater dermatoglyphic asymmetry in their children, especially in the face of greater maternal distress...
- Propranolol's effects on the consolidation and reconsolidation of long-term emotional memory in healthy participants: a meta-analysisMichelle H Lonergan
Department of Psychiatry, McGill University, and Douglas Mental Health University Institute, Montreal, Que, Canada
J Psychiatry Neurosci 38:222-31. 2013..We conducted a meta-analysis on the experimental evidence regarding the capacity of the ß-blocker propranolol to block the consolidation/reconsolidation of emotional memories in healthy adults...
- Prenatal maternal stress affects motor function in 5½-year-old children: project ice stormXiujing Cao
Douglas Hospital Research Center, 6875 LaSalle Blvd, Verdun, QC, Canada, H4H 1R3
Dev Psychobiol 56:117-25. 2014..In conclusion, disaster-related PNMS is associated with relatively lower motor functions in exposed offspring. Exposure timing, sex, and type of stress influenced the effects...
- Stress during pregnancy affects general intellectual and language functioning in human toddlersDavid P Laplante
Douglas Hospital Research Centre, McGill University, Verdun, H4H 1R3, Canada
Pediatr Res 56:400-10. 2004..We suspect that high levels of prenatal stress exposure, particularly early in the pregnancy, may negatively affect the brain development of the fetus, reflected in the lower general intellectual and language abilities in the toddlers...
- Consistency of retrospective reports of peritraumatic responses and their relation to PTSD diagnostic statusAnnie Claude David
Université du Québec à Montréal and Douglas Mental Health University Institute, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Trauma Stress 23:599-605. 2010..These results are consistent with the literature suggesting that compromised memory processes are related to sustained PTSD...
- Size versus shape differences: contrasting voxel-based and volumetric analyses of the anterior cingulate cortex in individuals with acute posttraumatic stress disorderVincent Corbo
Douglas Hospital Research Center, Department of Psychiatry, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Biol Psychiatry 58:119-24. 2005..We sought to replicate and extend these findings in a sample of individuals with acute PTSD...
- Prenatal maternal stress predicts childhood asthma in girls: project ice stormAnne Marie Turcotte-Tremblay
University of Montreal Hospital Research Centre, Montreal, QC, Canada H2X 0A9 University of Montreal, Montreal, QC, Canada H3N 1X9 Douglas Hospital Research Center, Montreal, QC, Canada H4H 1R3
Biomed Res Int 2014:201717. 2014..A sex-based approach may be useful to examine how prenatal and postnatal environments combine to program the immune system. This small study needs to be replicated with a larger, more representative sample. ..
- Development and persistence of posttraumatic stress disorder and the 5-HTTLPR polymorphismGeeta A Thakur
Douglas Mental Health University Institute and Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Trauma Stress 22:240-3. 2009..8 (95% CI = 1.09-21.22). Contrary to previous findings, these data are suggestive of a protective role for the s allele of 5-HTTLPR in chronic PTSD...
- The decision to vaccinate or not during the H1N1 pandemic: selecting the lesser of two evils?Andrea R Ashbaugh
Research Center of the Douglas Mental Health University Institute, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
PLoS ONE 8:e58852. 2013..Though studies have examined factors influencing people's decision to be vaccinated, few have focused on how general beliefs about the world or where an individual gathers information might influence that decision...
- Childhood abuse and dissociative symptoms in adult schizophreniaDarren W Holowka
McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Schizophr Res 60:87-90. 2003..84, one-tailed p<0.001), and physical abuse (r=0.55, p<0.01). We suggest that emotional abuse may play an important role in the etiology of dissociation in schizophrenia...
- Memory and executive dysfunctions associated with acute posttraumatic stress disorderGeneviève Lagarde
Department of Psychology, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Psychiatry Res 177:144-9. 2010..The findings, which point to the possibility of disturbed fronto-temporal system function in trauma-exposed individuals with acute PTSD, are particularly relevant for the early clinical management of this disorder...
- Fright (effroi) and other peritraumatic responses after a serious motor vehicle accident: prospective influence on acute PTSD developmentGuillaume Vaiva
University of Lille II, INSERM U513, France
Can J Psychiatry 48:395-401. 2003..We prospectively examined the relation between various peritraumatic responses (that is, fear, helplessness, horror, amnesia, and fright) and the development of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) 2 months after a trauma...
- Prediction of the occurrence and intensity of post-traumatic stress disorder in victims 32 months after bomb attackLouis Jehel
Unité de psychiatrie et psychotraumatisme, CHU Tenon AP HP, 4 rue de la Chine, 75970 Paris Cedex 20, France
Eur Psychiatry 18:172-6. 2003..Our objective was to identify factors that predict occurrence and severity of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) after a terrorism attack...
- PTSD symptoms predict waking salivary cortisol levels in police officersThomas C Neylan
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Psychoneuroendocrinology 30:373-81. 2005....
- The predictive power of peritraumatic dissociation and acute stress symptoms for posttraumatic stress symptoms: a three-month prospective studyPhilippe Birmes
Service Universitaire de Psychiatrie et Psychologie Médicale, Hôspital Casselardit la Grave, France
Am J Psychiatry 160:1337-9. 2003..The authors prospectively examined the power of peritraumatic dissociation and acute stress symptoms in predicting posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) symptoms...
- Low posttrauma GABA plasma levels as a predictive factor in the development of acute posttraumatic stress disorderGuillaume Vaiva
Department of Psychiatry, Clinique Michel Fontan, University of Lille II, 6 rue du Professeur Laguesse, 59037 Lille Cedex, France
Biol Psychiatry 55:250-4. 2004..We hypothesized that individuals with low plasma GABA levels may be more prone to develop posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in the aftermath of trauma exposure...
- Symptoms of peritraumatic and acute traumatic stress among victims of an industrial disasterPhilippe J Birmes
Psychiatry Department, University Hospital of Toulouse, 170 avenue de Casselardit, TSA 40031, 31059 Toulouse cedex 09, France
Psychiatr Serv 56:93-5. 2005..Peritraumatic distress and dissociation and acute stress disorder appear conceptually different from one another and show promise in identifying who is at risk of PTSD...
- [Validation of the Peritraumatic Distress Inventory's French translation]Louis Jehel
Unité de psychiatrie et psychotraumatisme, Hopital Tenon, Groupe hospitalo universitaire, Paris, France
Can J Psychiatry 50:67-71. 2005..This article outlines the French translation and validation of the Peritraumatic Distress Inventory (PDI) in a psychotrauma outpatient sample...
- The co-occurrence of posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms and pain: is depression a mediator?Joaquin Poundja
Department of Psychology Université de Montréal and Douglas Hospital Research Center, Montreal, Canada
J Trauma Stress 19:747-51. 2006..29) but that this relationship is fully mediated by depression. Our findings have important clinical implications: Treatment of PTSD and pain in veteran populations should include careful assessment and regular monitoring of depression...
- Immediate treatment with propranolol decreases posttraumatic stress disorder two months after traumaGuillaume Vaiva
Clinical School of Psychiatry, University of Lille II, Lille, France
Biol Psychiatry 54:947-9. 2003..This study investigated the efficacy of propranolol prescribed shortly after trauma exposure in the prevention of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) symptoms and diagnosis...
- Critical incident exposure and sleep quality in police officersThomas C Neylan
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA
Psychosom Med 64:345-52. 2002..We examined the effects of critical incident exposure (trauma exposure) and routine (nontraumatic) work environment stressors on sleep quality after controlling for the effects of work shift schedule...
- Predictors of enduring PTSD after an industrial disasterPhilippe J Birmes
Psychiatr Serv 59:116. 2008
- Diurnal cortisol in schizophrenia patients with childhood traumaChristine Braehler
Schizophr Res 79:353-4. 2005
- Relationship between posttrauma GABA plasma levels and PTSD at 1-year follow-upGuillaume Vaiva
Hôpital Michel Fontan CHRU de Lille, rue André Verhaeghe, 59037 Lille Cedex, France
Am J Psychiatry 163:1446-8. 2006..The authors examined the association between low posttrauma plasma GABA levels and long-term PTSD...