Affiliation: McGill University
- Single rooms may help to prevent nosocomial bloodstream infection and cross-transmission of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in intensive care unitsDavid Bracco
Department of Anaesthesia, Montreal General Hospital, McGill University Health Center, Room D10 145 3, 1650 Cedar Avenue, H3G 1A4, Montreal, Canada
Intensive Care Med 33:836-40. 2007..The aim of the present study was to compare the rate of nosocomial cross-contamination between patients hosted in single rooms versus bay rooms...
- Epidural anesthesia improves outcome and resource use in cardiac surgery: a single-center study of a 1293-patient cohortDavid Bracco
Department of Anesthesiology, Hotel Dieu Hospital, Université de Montréal Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Heart Surg Forum 10:E449-58. 2007..Combining TEA and general anesthesia for cardiac surgery allows a significant change in anesthesia strategy. This change improves immediate postoperative outcomes and reduces the use and costs of ICU resources...
- Pharmacokinetic variability of extended interval tobramycin in burn patientsDavid Bracco
Montreal Burn Centre, Montreal University Hospital, Campus Hotel Dieu, Montreal, Canada
Burns 34:791-6. 2008..However, their pharmacokinetics are difficult to predict in critically ill patients. Our objective was to describe the pharmacokinetic parameters of high doses of tobramycin administered at extended intervals in severely burned patients...
- Acute spinal artery syndrome after off-pump coronary artery bypass graft surgery using combined thoracic epidural and general anesthesiaDavid Bracco
Department of Anaesthesiology, CHUM Hotel Dieu, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 21:709-11. 2007
- Arterial trauma during central venous catheter insertion: Case series, review and proposed algorithmMarie Christine Guilbert
Vascular Surgery Service, Centre hospitalier de l Université de Montréal CHUM Hôtel Dieu, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Vasc Surg 48:918-25; discussion 925. 2008..The present study reviews our experience with these complications and the literature to determine the safest way to manage catheter-related cervicothoracic arterial injury (CRCAI)...
- A novel approach for pain management in cardiac surgery via median sternotomy: bilateral single-shot paravertebral blocksJean François Olivier
Department of Anesthesiology, McGill University Health Center, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Heart Surg Forum 10:E357-62. 2007..There was no complications related to epidural catheter placement or BSS-PVB. Using both techniques, immediate extubation after cardiac surgery is feasible; TEA provides better pain relief after cardiac surgery than BSS-PVB...
- Do patients after off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting need the intensive care unit? A prospective audit of 85 patientsNicolas Noiseux
Department of Cardiac Surgery, Hotel Dieu du CHUM, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 7:32-6. 2008..6405$ for ICU patients, the difference representing 5140$ per patient. ICU bypass after OPCABG is safe. By avoiding ICU, this protocol reduces costs, improves resource utilization and may reduce OR cancellation due to ICU bed shortages...
- Epidural analgesia and postoperative orthostatic haemodynamic changes: observational studyElena Gramigni
Department of Anesthesia, McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Eur J Anaesthesiol 30:398-404. 2013..In thoracic and abdominal surgery, epidural analgesia provides excellent pain relief, but associated postural hypotension can delay mobilisation...
- Epidural analgesia in cardiac surgery: an updated risk assessmentDavid Bracco
Perioperative Cardiac Research Group PeriCARG, Department of Anesthesiology, Montreal General Hospital, McGill University Health Center, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Heart Surg Forum 10:E334-7. 2007..The objective of this report is to estimate the risks and their variability of a catheter-related epidural hematoma in cardiac surgery patients and to compare it with other anesthetic and medical procedures...
- Neuromuscular blockade in cardiac surgery: an update for cliniciansThomas M Hemmerling
Department of Anaesthesiology, McGill University, Montreal General Hospital, Montreal, Canada
Ann Card Anaesth 11:80-90. 2008..In conclusion, cisatracurium or rocuronium is recommended for neuromuscular blockade in modern cardiac surgery...
- Perioperative tight glucose control with hyperinsulinemic-normoglycemic clamp technique in cardiac surgeryHiroaki Sato
Department of Anaesthesia, Royal Victoria Hospital, McGill University Health Center, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Nutrition 26:1122-9. 2010..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the efficacy of perioperative glucose and insulin administration while maintaining normoglycemia using a hyperinsulinemic-normoglycemic clamp technique...
- Total intravenous anesthesia with propofol augments the potency of mivacuriumThomas M Hemmerling
Department of Anesthesiology, Neuromuscular Research Group, McGill University, Montreal General Hospital, 1650 Cedar Avenue, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Can J Anaesth 55:351-7. 2008..This study compared mivacurium potency after five minutes and after 20 min of total intravenous anesthesia with propofol (TIVA propofol)...
- Regional anesthesia for carotid surgery: less intraoperative hypotension and vasopressor requirementFrederic Jacques
Vascular Surgery Service, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal Hotel Dieu, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Ann Vasc Surg 23:324-9. 2009..RA was associated with less hypotension and less vasopressor used during CEA compared to GA. The improved hemodynamic stability may account for the lower incidence of complications after CEA...
- Aortic vegetation and acute coronary embolismDavid Bracco
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, Montreal University Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Can J Cardiol 22:113. 2006
- Subcutaneous cervical and facial emphysema with the use of the Bonfils fiberscope and high-flow oxygen insufflationThomas M Hemmerling
Department of Anesthesiology, McGill University, Montreal General Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Anesth Analg 106:260-2, table of contents. 2008..Subcutaneous emphysema after air insufflation is known from dental procedures with air entering through holes in the teeth. In our case, the oxygen insufflation was sufficient to create emphysema, probably through tiny mucosal lesions...
- Glutamine: a double edge sword in the intensive care unit?David Bracco
Crit Care Med 33:2692-4. 2005
- [Comparison of three protocols in the control of cardiovascular response to suspended laryngoscopy in ENT surgery]Mehdi Boussofara
Service d Anesthesie Reanimation, Mohamed Tahar Maamouri Hospital, Nabeul
Tunis Med 82:19-24. 2004..Whereas there was no difference in the blood pressure during the procedure whatever the pharmacological agent for prevention of cardiovascular complications for patients to risk in micro ENT surgery...