Affiliation: McGill University
- Long-term changes in defense styles with psychodynamic psychotherapy for depressive, anxiety, and personality disordersMichael Bond
Department of Psychiatry, Sir Mortimer B Davis Jewish General Hospital and McGill University, Quebec, Canada
Am J Psychiatry 161:1665-71. 2004....
- Empirical studies of defense style: relationships with psychopathology and changeMichael Bond
Department of Psychiatry, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Harv Rev Psychiatry 12:263-78. 2004..Defenses are sometimes predictive of the quality of the therapeutic alliance. Although one might speculate that assessment of defenses can be useful in planning treatment, there are no studies supporting this hypothesis...
- [Brazilian-Portuguese version of the Defense Style Questionnaire (DSQ-40) for defense mechanisms measure: a preliminary study]Carolina Blaya
Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 26:255-8. 2004..The aim of this study is to describe the translation and adaptation process of the Defense Style Questionnaire (DSQ-40) into Brazilian-Portuguese version. The instrument has also contended validation evaluation...
- Psychodynamic psychotherapy in the treatment of mood disordersMichael Bond
Department of Psychiatry, McGill University and the Sir Mortimer B Davis Jewish General Hospital, Montreal, Canada
Curr Opin Psychiatry 19:40-3. 2006....
- Predictors of treatment duration and retention in a study of long-term dynamic psychotherapy: childhood adversity, adult personality, and diagnosisJ Christopher Perry
McGill University and Sir Mortimer B Davis Jewish General Hospital, Montreal, QC, Canada
J Psychiatr Pract 13:221-32. 2007..It remains to be seen whether longer durations of treatments are associated with respectively greater improvement, other things being equal, and whether these findings generalize to other types of treatment...
- Psychotropic medication use, personality disorder and improvement in long-term dynamic psychotherapyMichael Bond
Department of Psychiatry, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Nerv Ment Dis 194:21-6. 2006..PD pathology and being on medications at intake acted as moderator variables: PD predicted a smaller effect size in depression and functioning, while medications predicted a smaller effect size in depression only...
- The sequence of recovery in long-term dynamic psychotherapyJ Christopher Perry
Institute of Community and Family Psychiatry, Sir Mortimer B Davis Jewish General Hospital and McGill University, Montreal, Quebec H3T 1E4, Canada
J Nerv Ment Dis 197:930-7. 2009..9% versus 2.5%, p < 0.0001) compared with those not satisfied. Sustained recovery unfolds sequentially across a variety of symptoms and functioning measures and is associated with patient satisfaction...
- Alliance, reactions to treatment, and counter-transference in the process of recovery from suicidal phenomena in long-term dynamic psychotherapyJ Christopher Perry
a Institute of Community and Family Psychiatry, S M B D Jewish General Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Psychother Res 23:592-605. 2013..Avoiding therapist errors emanating from negative countertransference improves the therapeutic interaction, which is followed by faster rate of improvement in suicidality. ..
- Attachment styles and violence within couplesSharon B Bond
School of Social Work, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Nerv Ment Dis 192:857-63. 2004..For couples with milder levels of violence, a more nuanced approach (compared with the legally based approach used for severe violence) seems indicated...
- Do defense mechanisms vary according to the psychiatric disorder?Carolina Blaya
Post Graduate Program in Medical Sciences, Psychiatry, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 28:179-83. 2006..The aim of this study was to evaluate the defense mechanisms used by depressive and anxious patients without comorbidities compared to those used by controls and to determine whether these patterns differ between diagnoses...
- Evaluation of defense mechanisms in adult patients with panic disorder: before and after treatmentLeticia Kipper
Post Graduate Program in Medical Science, Psychiatry, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
J Nerv Ment Dis 193:619-24. 2005..4 vs. 3.7; p=0.014) and immature (3.4 vs. 3.1; p = 0.019) defenses. Defense mechanisms in PD are influenced by the presence of symptoms, severity, and outcome of the disease...
- Italian version of the defense style questionnairePietro San Martini
Department of Dynamic and Clinical Psychology, University of Rome La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Compr Psychiatry 45:483-94. 2004..Further investigation is required to find new items that may improve the reliability of the Image-Distorting and the Adaptive Style scales...
- Brazilian patients with panic disorder: the use of defense mechanisms and their association with severityLeticia Kipper
Post Graduate Program in Medical Science Psychiatry, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul and Anxiety Disorder Program, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, Porto Alegre, Brazil
J Nerv Ment Dis 192:58-64. 2004..2 versus 3.5; p < 0.001). It was concluded that the panic severity and depression comorbidity found in Brazilian panic-disordered patients are associated with the use of maladaptive mechanisms, namely immature defenses...