Affiliation: McGill University
- Parajuli R, Goodrich J, Chou H, Gruninger S, Dolinoy D, Franzblau A, et al. Genetic polymorphisms are associated with hair, blood, and urine mercury levels in the American Dental Association (ADA) study participants. Environ Res. 2016;149:247-258 pubmed publisher..Hence, consideration of such gene-environment factors may improve the ability to assess the health risks of Hg more precisely. ..
- Rajaee M, Long R, Renne E, Basu N. Mercury Exposure Assessment and Spatial Distribution in A Ghanaian Small-Scale Gold Mining Community. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2015;12:10755-82 pubmed publisher..Most participants with elevated urinary and household soil mercury were miners, but some non-miners approached and exceeded guideline values, suggesting a health risk for non-mining residents living within these communities. ..
- Rajaee M, SÃ¡nchez B, Renne E, Basu N. An Investigation of Organic and Inorganic Mercury Exposure and Blood Pressure in a Small-Scale Gold Mining Community in Ghana. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2015;12:10020-38 pubmed publisher..Given the unique study population and high exposures to inorganic Hg, the work contained here will help increase our understanding of the cardiovascular effects of Hg. ..
- Perkins M, Basu N. Dried blood spots for estimating mercury exposure in birds. Environ Pollut. 2018;236:236-246 pubmed publisher..5?±?7.6%) compared to DBS punches (edge: 115.4?±?18.9%, interior: 131.4?±?16.1%). Overall, results indicate that DBS analysis using direct Hg analysis can accurately evaluate Hg exposure in birds. ..
- Basu A, Phipps S, Long R, Essegbey G, Basu N. Identification of Response Options to Artisanal and Small-Scale Gold Mining (ASGM) in Ghana via the Delphi Process. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2015;12:11345-63 pubmed publisher..This is timely given that improvement to the ASGM sector is an important component within the UN Minamata Convention. ..
- Srigboh R, Basu N, Stephens J, Asampong E, Perkins M, Neitzel R, et al. Multiple elemental exposures amongst workers at the Agbogbloshie electronic waste (e-waste) site in Ghana. Chemosphere. 2016;164:68-74 pubmed publisher..The findings of this study contribute to a growing body of work at Agbogbloshie (and elsewhere) to document that individuals working within e-waste sites are exposed to a number of toxic elements, some at potentially concerning levels. ..
- Cryderman D, Letourneau L, Miller F, Basu N. An Ecological and Human Biomonitoring Investigation of Mercury Contamination at the Aamjiwnaang First Nation. Ecohealth. 2016;13:784-795 pubmed
- Bradley M, Barst B, Basu N. A Review of Mercury Bioavailability in Humans and Fish. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14: pubmed publisher..The summaries presented here challenge a widely-held assumption in the Hg risk assessment field, and the paper discusses possible ways forward for the field. ..
- Rajaee M, Yee A, Long R, Renne E, Robins T, Basu N. Pulmonary function and respiratory health of rural farmers and artisanal and small scale gold miners in Ghana. Environ Res. 2017;158:522-530 pubmed publisher..Additional research is needed with larger sample sizes and with more detailed questionnaires to further assess the impact of multiple stressors on respiratory health in ASGM communities. ..