Affiliation: McGill University
- A responsive feeding intervention increases children's self-feeding and maternal responsiveness but not weight gainFrances E Aboud
Department of Psychology, McGill University, Montreal H3A 1B1, Canada
J Nutr 139:1738-43. 2009..Weight gain may require more nutritional input, especially in areas of high food insecurity...
- Effectiveness of a parenting program in Bangladesh to address early childhood health, growth and developmentFrances E Aboud
McGill University, Canada Electronic address
Soc Sci Med 97:250-8. 2013..However, all children became more stunted. Findings are discussed in terms of theories of behaviour change and parenting, critical ages for parenting programs, and implications for program delivery. ..
- Challenges to changing health behaviours in developing countries: a critical overviewFrances E Aboud
McGill University, Canada
Soc Sci Med 75:589-94. 2012..This special issue of behaviour change interventions in developing countries adds to our understanding of where we are now and what we need to do to realize more gains in the future...
- A cluster-randomized evaluation of a responsive stimulation and feeding intervention in bangladeshFrances E Aboud
Department of Psychology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A 1B1
Pediatrics 127:e1191-7. 2011..The hypothesis was that mothers in the intervention would exhibit better parenting skills and children would exhibit better developmental and nutritional outcomes than controls...
- An assessment of community readiness for HIV/AIDS preventive interventions in rural BangladeshFrances Aboud
McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada
Soc Sci Med 70:360-7. 2010..The findings provide formative information on the constraints and opportunities of community groups as partners in HIV preventive interventions and strategies to help them move to a higher stage of readiness...
- The formation of in-group favoritism and out-group prejudice in young children: are they distinct attitudes?Frances E Aboud
Department of Psychology, 1205 Dr Penfield Avenue, Montreal, Quebec H3A 1B1, Canada
Dev Psychol 39:48-60. 2003..Out-group prejudice was weaker, but its targets suffer from comparison with the high favoritism accorded in-group members...
- Effectiveness of a community-based responsive feeding programme in rural Bangladesh: a cluster randomized field trialFrances E Aboud
Department of Psychology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Matern Child Nutr 4:275-86. 2008..These results provide evidence that self-feeding and weight gain can improve by targeting specific behaviours, while maternal responsiveness may require more intensive strategies...
- Evaluation of an early childhood parenting programme in rural BangladeshFrances E Aboud
ICDDR, B, GPO Box 128, Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh
J Health Popul Nutr 25:3-13. 2007..Parenting sessions offered by peer educators were informative and participatory, yet they need to include more practice, problem-solving, and peer-support if information is to be translated into behaviour...
- The McGill Pain Questionnaire in Amharic: Zwai Health Center patients' reports on the experience of painFrances E Aboud
Department of Psychology, McGill University, 1205 Dr Penfield Avenue, Montreal, QC, Canada H3A 1B1
Ethiop Med J 41:45-61. 2003..The McGill Pain Questionnaire--Amharic (MPQ-Am) could be a useful tool for future studies of illness-specific pain, and of the effectiveness of pharmaceutical and non-pharmaceutical strategies for pain management...
- Health and development outcomes in 6.5-y-old children breastfed exclusively for 3 or 6 moMichael S Kramer
Department of Pediatrics, McGill University Faculty of Medicine, Montreal, Canada
Am J Clin Nutr 90:1070-4. 2009..Despite the current World Health Organization recommendation that infants be exclusively breastfed for 6 mo, this practice remains unusual in both developed and developing countries...
- Behaviour change communication targeting four health behaviours in developing countries: a review of change techniquesCiara Briscoe
Psychology, McGill University, 1205 Dr Penfield Avenue, Montreal, QC, Canada H3A 1B1
Soc Sci Med 75:612-21. 2012..We propose that program development would be more systematic if researchers considered a menu of technique categories appropriate for the targeted behaviour and audience when designing their studies...
- Responsive complementary feeding in rural BangladeshAnna C Moore
ICDDR, B Centre for Health and Population Research, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Soc Sci Med 62:1917-30. 2006..Thus, the responsive feeding framework, once operationalized, has the potential to identify specific behaviours that support or impede mother-child interaction during complementary feeding...
- Breastfeeding and child cognitive development: new evidence from a large randomized trialMichael S Kramer
Department of Pediatrics, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Arch Gen Psychiatry 65:578-84. 2008....
- Race, ethnicity, and culture in child development: contemporary research and future directionsStephen M Quintana
Child Dev 77:1129-41. 2006..The methodological innovations as well as challenges of current research are highlighted. It is recommended that future research adhere to principles of cultural validity described in the text...