- Effects of surgical treatment of the metabolic syndrome on liver fibrosis and cirrhosisJohn G Kral
Department of Surgery, SUNY Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY 11203, USA
Surgery 135:48-58. 2004..Both weight loss and gastrointestinal surgery for obesity can cause liver disease, making their role in the treatment of obesity-related liver disease controversial...
- Impact of bariatric surgery--induced weight loss on heart rate variabilityIsabelle Nault
Department of Cardiology, Institut Universitaire de Cardiologie et de Pneumologie, Hopital Laval, Quebec, Canada G1V 4G5
Metabolism 56:1425-30. 2007..Weight loss after bariatric surgery enhances HRV and decreases mean and minimal heart rate during Holter monitoring through a better cardiac parasympathetic modulation...
- Duodenal switch: long-term resultsPicard Marceau
Department of Surgery, Laval University, Laval Hospital, Quebec, Canada
Obes Surg 17:1421-30. 2007..This report summarizes our 15-year experience with duodenal switch (DS) as a primary procedure on 1,423 patients from 1992 to 2005...
- Malabsorptive obesity surgeryP Marceau
Department of General Surgery, Laval Hospital, Laval University, Sainte Foy, Quebec, Canada
Surg Clin North Am 81:1113-27. 2001..BPD must be seen as a means to change an intolerable and untreatable disease to a tolerable and treatable one, with substantial improvement in quality of life...
- Duodenal switch improved standard biliopancreatic diversion: a retrospective studyPicard Marceau
Department of Surgery, Laval University, Laval Hospital, Quebec, Quebec, Canada
Surg Obes Relat Dis 5:43-7. 2009..This was a retrospective study, performed 10 years after surgery, to compare the results between biliopancreatic diversion (BPD) with distal gastrectomy (DG) versus BPD with duodenal switch (DS)...
- Accelerated satiation after duodenal switchPicard Marceau
Department of Surgery, Laval University, Quebec, Canada
Surg Obes Relat Dis 1:408-12. 2005..It is a test that is well known by physiologists but has never been used clinically. It is based on the observation that repeated pleasant gustatory stimuli turn into unpleasantness in the process of satiation...
- Long-term experience with duodenal switch in adolescentsPicard Marceau
Department of Bariatric Surgery, Laval Hospital, Laval University, Chemin Ste Foy, Quebec, Canada
Obes Surg 20:1609-16. 2010..Severe or extreme obesity in children and adolescents is a progressive damaging disease, increasingly requiring surgical treatment. Timing and choice of operation are controversial...
- Contribution of bariatric surgery to the comprehension of morbid obesityPicard Marceau
Laval Hospital, Quebec, Canada
Obes Surg 15:3-10. 2005..Available results show that surgery, to be efficient, must change the physiology and not solely decrease food intake...
- Does bone change after biliopancreatic diversion?Picard Marceau
Department of Surgery, Laval Hospital, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
J Gastrointest Surg 6:690-8. 2002..Provided that there is close surveillance for metabolic disturbances, the use of appropriate supplements, and the avoidance of malnutrition, the beneficial effects of surgery far outweigh the risk of postoperative bone disease...
- Outcome of pregnancies after biliopancreatic diversionPicard Marceau
Department of Surgery, Laval University, 2725 Chemin Sainte Foy, Quebec G1V 4G5, Canada
Obes Surg 14:318-24. 2004..This is a follow-up report of our initial findings regarding pregnancy and neonatal outcomes in biliopancreatic diversion (BPD) patients, with addition of a new cohort of children born to mothers after BPD...
- Increased plasma levels of toxic pollutants accompanying weight loss induced by hypocaloric diet or by bariatric surgeryOlivier Hue
Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, Laval University, Quebec, Canada
Obes Surg 16:1145-54. 2006....
- Waist circumference is useless to assess the prevalence of metabolic abnormalities in severely obese womenVicky Drapeau
Division of Kinesiology, Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, Laval University, Quebec, Canada
Obes Surg 17:905-9. 2007....
- Perioperative complications in a consecutive series of 1000 duodenal switchesLaurent Biertho
Department of Surgery, Institut Universitaire de Cardiologie et de Pneumologie de Quebec, Quebec, Quebec, Canada
Surg Obes Relat Dis 9:63-8. 2013....
- Is biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch indicated for patients with body mass index <50 kg/m2?Laurent Biertho
Department of Surgery, Division of Bariatric and General Surgery, Institut Universitaire de Cardiologie et de Pneumologie de Quebec, Quebec, Canada
Surg Obes Relat Dis 6:508-14. 2010..The aim of the present study was to present our long-term results with the DS in patients with an initial BMI of <50 kg/m(2)...
- Muscle force and force control after weight loss in obese and morbidly obese menOlivier Hue
Département des sciences de l activité physique, Universite du Quebec a Trois Rivieres, Quebec, Canada
Obes Surg 18:1112-8. 2008..There are concerns that fat-free mass decrease could have some negative functional consequences. The aim of this study was to examine how weight loss affects strength and force control in obese and morbidly obese men...
- Comprehensive genetic analysis of the dipeptidyl peptidase-4 gene and cardiovascular disease risk factors in obese individualsLuigi Bouchard
Lipid Research Center, Laval University, 2705 Laurier Blvd TR93, Quebec City, QC, Canada G1V 4G2
Acta Diabetol 46:13-21. 2009..However, none of these associations was consistently replicated in stage 2. This first comprehensive genetic analysis does not support the notion that DPP4 polymorphisms could modulate the CVD risk profile among obese patients...
- Asthma and sleep apnea in patients with morbid obesity: outcome after bariatric surgeryBarbara Simard
Pulmonary Research Unit, Cardiology and Respiratory Institute, Laval University, Laval Hospital, Quebec, QC, Canada
Obes Surg 14:1381-8. 2004..The authors determined the prevalence of asthma and SAS in morbidly obese patients and the effect of biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch (BPD-DS) on these conditions...
- Differential methylation in glucoregulatory genes of offspring born before vs. after maternal gastrointestinal bypass surgeryFrederic Guenard
Institute of Nutrition and Functional Foods and Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Laval University, Quebec City, QC G1V 0A6, Canada
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110:11439-44. 2013..This unique clinical study demonstrates that effective treatment of a maternal phenotype is durably detectable in the methylome and transcriptome of subsequent offspring. ..
- Twenty years of biliopancreatic diversion: what is the goal of the surgery?Simon Biron
Department of Surgery, Laval University, Quebec, Canada
Obes Surg 14:160-4. 2004..We explored the pertinence of defining success: a residual BMI <40 or <35 kg/m(2), and the need for reporting results with stratification by initial obesity and length of follow-up...
- Waist girth does not predict metabolic complications in severely obese menIsabelle Lemieux
Division of Kinesiology, Laval Hospital Research Center, Laval University, Quebec, Canada G1K 7P4
Diabetes Care 29:1417-9. 2006
- Glucocorticoid-induced androgen inactivation by aldo-keto reductase 1C2 promotes adipogenesis in human preadipocytesAlain Veilleux
Endocrinology and Genomics and Dept of Food Science and Nutrition, Laval University Medical Research Center, Laval University, Quebec City, QC, Canada
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 302:E941-9. 2012..The interplay between glucocorticoids and AKR1C2-dependent androgen inactivation may locally modulate adipogenesis and lipid accumulation in a depot-specific manner...
- Health-related quality of life in morbid obesityKarine Duval
Centre de Recherche, Hopital Laval, Institut Universitaire de Cardiologie et de Pneumologie de l Universite Laval, Quebec, Canada
Obes Surg 16:574-9. 2006..In order to evaluate the impact of severe obesity and its treatment on quality of life (QoL), it would be important to first identify the areas of QoL most likely to be affected by the disease...
- Upregulation of plasma insulin-like growth factor binding protein 2 levels after biliopancreatic diversion in humansZhuo Li
Centre de Recherche de l Institut Universitaire de Cardiologie et de Pneumologie de Quebec, Laval University, Quebec, Quebec, Canada
Obesity (Silver Spring) 20:1469-73. 2012..The mechanisms for the augmentation in IGFBP-2 after BPD-DS and its contribution to insulin sensitization remain to be elucidated...
- Methylation and expression of immune and inflammatory genes in the offspring of bariatric bypass surgery patientsFrederic Guenard
Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Institute of Nutrition and Functional Foods INAF, Laval University, Quebec, QC G1V 0A6, Canada
J Obes 2013:492170. 2013..These offspring exhibit lower severe obesity prevalence and improved cardiometabolic risk factors including inflammatory marker compared to siblings born before maternal surgery (BMS)...
- Comparison of the dipeptidyl peptidase-4 gene methylation levels between severely obese subjects with and without the metabolic syndromeValérie Turcot
Institute of Nutraceuticals and Functional Foods INAF, Pavillon des Services, Universite Laval, 2440 Hochelaga Blvd, G1V 0A6, Quebec, Canada
Diabetol Metab Syndr 5:4. 2013....
- Genetic contribution to C-reactive protein levels in severe obesityGeneviève Faucher
Nutraceuticals and Functional Foods Institute INAF, Laval University, Quebec, Canada
Mol Genet Metab 105:494-501. 2012..The IFI30 rs11554159 polymorphism could partially explain the inter-individual variability observed in the inflammatory profile associated with obesity...
- Body weight and satiation after duodenal switch: 2 years laterSebastien Paradis
Centre de recherche sur le métabolisme énergétique CREME, Anatomy and Physiology Department, Laval University, Quebec, Canada
Obes Surg 17:631-6. 2007..The authors investigated body weight, satiation, and gustative pleasure of obese patients 2 years after a bariatric operation: the biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch (DS)...
- Gene expression variability in subcutaneous and omental adipose tissue of obese menYonghua Zhang
Molecular Endocrinology and Oncology Research Center, Laval University Medical Research Center, Quebec, Canada
Gene Expr 14:35-46. 2007....
- The laval questionnaire: a new instrument to measure quality of life in morbid obesityFanny Therrien
Centre de Recherche, Institut universitaire de cardiologie et de pneumologie de Québec affilié à l Université Laval, 2725 Chemin Ste Foy, Quebec, Quebec G1V 4G5, Canada
Health Qual Life Outcomes 9:66. 2011..Our objective was to validate a new self-administered questionnaire specific to morbid obesity to be used in clinical trials. The study was carried out at the bariatric surgery clinic of Laval Hospital, Quebec City, Canada...
- Impact of bariatric surgery on cardiac structure, function and clinical manifestations in morbid obesityPaul Poirier
Department of Cardiology, Institut Universitaire de Cardiologie et de Pneumologie, Laval Hospital, 2725 Chemin Sainte Foy, Sainte Foy, Quebec, G1V 4G5, Canada
Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther 2:193-201. 2004..Nevertheless, numerous different techniques are still in use today. Weight loss has beneficial impacts on functional and structural cardiac status and will be reviewed in this report...
- Body weight is a strong predictor of postural stabilityOlivier Hue
Faculty of Medicine, Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, Division of Kinesiology, Laval University, PEPS, Quebec G1K 7P4, Canada
Gait Posture 26:32-8. 2007..Future studies should examine more closely the combined effect of aging and obesity on falling and injuries and the impact of obesity on the diverse range of activities of daily living...
- Metabolic profile in severely obese women is less deteriorated than expected when compared to moderately obese womenVicky Drapeau
Division of Kinesiology, Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, Laval University, Sainte Foy, Quebec, Canada G1K 7P4
Obes Surg 16:501-9. 2006..This study aimed to compare the metabolic profile of pre- and postmenopausal severely obese women with moderately obese women...
- A survey of genes differentially expressed in subcutaneous and visceral adipose tissue in menMarie Claude Vohl
Lipid Research Center, 2705 Laurier Blvd TR 93, Quebec City, PQ, Canada G1V 4G2
Obes Res 12:1217-22. 2004....
- Effects of androgens on adipocyte differentiation and adipose tissue explant metabolism in men and womenKarine Blouin
Molecular Endocrinology and Oncology Research Center, Laval University Medical Research Center, Laval University, Quebec, QC, Canada
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 72:176-88. 2010..To examine the effects of aromatizable or nonaromatizable androgens on abdominal subcutaneous (SC) and omental (OM) adipose tissue lipid metabolism and adipogenesis in men and women...
- Effects of the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma co-activator-1 Gly482Ser variant on features of the metabolic syndromeMarie Claude Vohl
Lipid Research Center, CHUL Research Center, Quebec City, Que, Canada
Mol Genet Metab 86:300-6. 2005..05). These results suggest that the Gly482Ser polymorphism may explain some of the between-obese variance observed in metabolic syndrome-related traits...
- Large maternal weight loss from obesity surgery prevents transmission of obesity to children who were followed for 2 to 18 yearsJohn G Kral
Department of Surgery, Box 40, SUNY Downstate Medical Center, 450 Clarkson Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11203, USA
Pediatrics 118:e1644-9. 2006....
- Plasma concentration of organochlorine compounds is associated with age and not obesityOlivier Hue
Faculty of Medicine, Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, Division of Kinesiology, PEPS, Laval University, QC, Canada G1K 7P4
Chemosphere 67:1463-7. 2007..Organochlorine concentrations, however, were correlated with age (BMI-adjusted R(2)=0.46; p<0.001). At steady state body weight, toxic pollutant concentrations are not associated to obesity but strongly correlate with age...
- Predictors of weight loss in Parkinson's disease: is weight loss the chicken or the egg?Normand Teasdale
Mov Disord 22:436-7. 2007
- Regional differences in adipose tissue metabolism in obese menAriane Boivin
Molecular Endocrinology and Oncology Research Center, Laval University Medical Research Center and Laval University, Quebec, Canada G1V 4G2
Metabolism 56:533-40. 2007..In conclusion, in normal-weight to morbidly obese men, although adipocyte size and lipolysis tended to increase with higher waist circumference, no difference was observed between the omental and subcutaneous fat depot...