Russell D MacDonald
- The Toronto prehospital hypertonic resuscitation-head injury and multi organ dysfunction trial (TOPHR HIT)--methods and data collection toolsLaurie J Morrison
Rescu, Keenan Research Centre, Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, St Michael s Hospital, 30 Bond St, Toronto Ontario, Canada
Trials 10:105. 2009..We describe a feasibility study of randomizing head injured patients to hypertonic saline and dextran vs. normal saline administration in the out of hospital setting...
- Epidemiology of adverse events in air medical transportRussell D MacDonald
Research and Development, Ornge Transport Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Acad Emerg Med 15:923-31. 2008..This observational study determined frequency and describes all-cause adverse event epidemiology in a large air medical transport system...
- The development of a national emergency medical services curriculum framework for physicians in CanadaRussell D MacDonald
Ornge Transport Medicine, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Prehosp Emerg Care 12:372-80. 2008..In Canada, subspecialty training in EMS is still relatively new, and a standard national curriculum for physician EMS training does not exist...
- Occupational health and safety assessment of exposure to jet fuel combustion products in air medical transportRussell D MacDonald
Research and Development Department, Ornge Transport Medicine, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Prehosp Emerg Care 14:202-8. 2010..Transport medicine personnel are potentially exposed to jet fuel combustion products. Setting-specific data are required to determine whether this poses a risk...
- Incidence and predictors of critical events during urgent air-medical transportJeffrey M Singh
Interdepartmental Division of Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, University Health Network, Toronto, Ont
CMAJ 181:579-84. 2009..Little is known about the risks of urgent air-medical transport used in regionalized health care systems. We sought to determine the incidence of in-transit critical events and identify factors associated with these events...
- Validation of the Provincial Transfer Authorization Centre database: a comprehensive database containing records of all inter-facility patient transfers in the province of OntarioVictoria A Robinson
Institute of Medical Science, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
BMC Health Serv Res 6:129. 2006..A patient transfer database has also never been validated. This paper presents the validation of the PTAC database...
- Communication errors in dispatch of air medical transportDaniel Vilensky
Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Prehosp Emerg Care 15:39-43. 2011..While air medical transport is a high-risk setting, its sources and rates of error have been investigated only within the last several years...
- Ventilation practices and critical events during transport of ventilated patients outside of hospital: a retrospective cohort studyJeffrey M Singh
Interdepartmental Division of Critical Care Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Prehosp Emerg Care 13:316-23. 2009..We set out to describe ventilation practice, the use of lung-protective ventilation strategies, administration of sedation and neuromuscular blockade, and related critical events during out-of-hospital transport of ventilated patients...
- Pro/con debate: do the benefits of regionalized critical care delivery outweigh the risks of interfacility patient transport?Jeffrey M Singh
Interdepartmental Division of Critical Care and Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto Western Hospital, 399 Bathurst Street, 2 McLaughlin 411K, Toronto, Ontario M5T 2S8, Canada
Crit Care 13:219. 2009..Given there are inherent risks and time delays associated with interfacility patient transport, you debate whether these potential risks outweigh the benefits of regional centres of excellence...
- Performance analysis of a medical decision algorithm to mitigate spread of SARS due to interfacility patient transfersRussell D MacDonald
Ontario Air Ambulance, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Prehosp Emerg Care 10:383-9. 2006..To determine performance of a medical decision algorithm to mitigate spread of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) from interfacility patient transfers during the Toronto SARS outbreak...
- The Toronto prehospital hypertonic resuscitation--head injury and multiorgan dysfunction trial: feasibility study of a randomized controlled trialLaurie J Morrison
Rescu, Keenan Research Centre, Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, St Michael s Hospital, Ontario, Canada
J Crit Care 26:363-72. 2011..The aim of the study was to evaluate the feasibility of a prehospital trial comparing hypertonic saline and dextran (HSD) with normal saline (NS) in blunt head injury patients...
- A Canadian fellowship training program in emergency medical servicesRussell D MacDonald
Ontario Air Ambulance Services Co, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
CJEM 7:406-10. 2005..The University of Toronto EMS Fellowship Program may serve as a template for the development of similar programs elsewhere in Canada and internationally...
- Interfacility transport of patients with decompression illness: literature review and consensus statementRussell D MacDonald
Ontario Air Ambulance, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Prehosp Emerg Care 10:482-7. 2006..The authors reviewed available literature to establish evidence-based transport strategies utilizing safe altitudes for patients, with DCI...
- Prehospital transcutaneous cardiac pacing for symptomatic bradycardia or bradyasystolic cardiac arrest: a systematic reviewJonathan Sherbino
Division of Emergency Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, and Sunnybrook Osler Centre for Prehospital Care, Toronto, Ont, Canada
Resuscitation 70:193-200. 2006..Many EMS systems are extrapolating these guidelines and employing TCP in the prehospital setting. Our objective was to conduct a systematic review to determine the efficacy of prehospital TCP in the management of these two conditions...
- Half-a-million strong: the emergency medical services response to a single-day, mass-gathering eventMichael J Feldman
Division of Prehospital Care, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Center, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Prehosp Disaster Med 19:287-96. 2004..Objective: This report describes the EMS response to the largest single-day, ticketed concert held in North America: the 2003 "Toronto Rocks!" Rolling Stones Concert...
- Use of geographic information systems to determine new helipad locations and improve timely response while mitigating risk of helicopter emergency medical services operationsCheryl P Z Foo
The Faculty of Medicine CPZF and the Division of Emergency Medicine, Department of Medicine RDMacD, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Prehosp Emerg Care 14:461-8. 2010..However, accident analyses indicate that landing at an unsecured landing zone (LZ), particularly at night, increases the risk of aviation accidents. To ensure safety, some HEMS operations land only at designated, secured LZs...
- Pre-hospital care management of a potential spinal cord injured patient: a systematic review of the literature and evidence-based guidelinesHenry Ahn
Department of Surgery, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Neurotrauma 28:1341-61. 2011....
- Submersion and early-onset acute respiratory distress syndrome: a case reportWayde Diamond
Academy of TransportMedicine and the Research, Ornge Transport Medicine, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Prehosp Emerg Care 15:288-93. 2011..Finally, this case report highlights the prehospital bypass decision-making process for patients requiring specialized medical care...
- Performance of resuscitation skills by paramedic personnel in chemical protective suitsRussell D MacDonald
Ontario Air Ambulance, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Prehosp Emerg Care 10:254-9. 2006..Determine whether wearing a chemical protective suit increases time to successful completion of four resuscitation skills...
- Outcomes of interfacility critical care adult patient transport: a systematic reviewEddy Fan
Interdepartmental Division of Critical Care Medicine, University of Toronto, 399 Bathurst Street, F2 150, Toronto, Ontario, M5T 2S8, Canada
Crit Care 10:R6. 2006..We aimed to determine the adverse events and important prognostic factors associated with interfacility transport of intubated and mechanically ventilated adult patients...
- Transfer of intra-aortic balloon pump-dependent patients by paramedicsRussell D MacDonald
The Ontario Air Ambulance Base Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Prehosp Emerg Care 9:449-53. 2005..This case series demonstrates that specially trained critical care paramedics can safely IABP-dependent patients to definitive cardiac surgical care without additional medical escorts...
- An emergency medical services transfer authorization center in response to the Toronto severe acute respiratory syndrome outbreakRussell D MacDonald
Division of Emergency Medicine, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Prehosp Emerg Care 8:223-31. 2004....
- West Nile virus. Primer for family physiciansRussell D MacDonald
Research Program, Ontario Air Ambulance, Toronto
Can Fam Physician 51:833-7. 2005..To provide primary care physicians with an understanding of West Nile virus in North America. This article focuses on epidemiology, clinical features, diagnosis, and prevention of infection...
- Impact of CT scan in patients with first episode of suspected nephrolithiasisMichael Ha
Division of Emergency Medicine, Department of Family Medicine, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
J Emerg Med 27:225-31. 2004..Patients presenting with a first episode of clinically suspected nephrolithiasis should undergo CT scanning because it enhances diagnostic certainty by identifying alternate diagnoses not suspected on clinical grounds alone...
- How to train emergency docsRussell D MacDonald
CMAJ 169:389; author reply 391-2. 2003
- Impact of prompt defibrillation on cardiac arrest at a major international airportRussell D MacDonald
Department of Emergency Medicine, Boston Medical Center and Boston University School of Medicine, Massachusetts, USA
Prehosp Emerg Care 6:1-5. 2002..To describe the impact of a rapidly deployable, automated external defibrillator (AED)-equipped first-responder service at Boston's Logan International Airport on the rate of survival to hospital discharge after cardiac arrest...