- Five-year risk of cardiac mortality in relation to initial severity and one-year changes in depression symptoms after myocardial infarctionFrancois Lesperance
Department of Psychiatry, University of Montreal and McGill University, Canada
Circulation 105:1049-53. 2002..Although previous research demonstrated an independent link between depression symptoms and cardiac mortality after myocardial infarction (MI), depression was assessed only once, and a dose-response relationship was not evaluated...
- The efficacy of omega-3 supplementation for major depression: a randomized controlled trialFrancois Lesperance
Department of Psychiatry, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, 1560 Sherbrooke E, Montreal, Quebec H2L 4M1, Canada
J Clin Psychiatry 72:1054-62. 2011..To document the short-term efficacy of omega-3 supplementation in reducing depressive symptoms in patients experiencing a major depressive episode (MDE)...
- Effects of citalopram and interpersonal psychotherapy on depression in patients with coronary artery disease: the Canadian Cardiac Randomized Evaluation of Antidepressant and Psychotherapy Efficacy (CREATE) trialFrancois Lesperance
Department of Psychiatry, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
JAMA 297:367-79. 2007..Few randomized controlled trials have evaluated the efficacy of treatments for major depression in patients with coronary artery disease (CAD). None have simultaneously evaluated an antidepressant and short-term psychotherapy...
- Depression and coronary artery disease: time to move from observation to trialsFrancois Lesperance
Department of Psychiatry, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, QC
CMAJ 168:570-1. 2003
- Depression and heart diseaseFrancois Lesperance
Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, Montreal Heart Institute, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Cleve Clin J Med 74:S63-6. 2007
- An open-label study of nefazodone treatment of major depression in patients with congestive heart failureFrancois Lesperance
Department of Psychiatry, Centre Hospitalier, l Université de Montréal, 3850 St Urbain, Montreal, QC H2W 1T8
Can J Psychiatry 48:695-701. 2003....
- The association between major depression and levels of soluble intercellular adhesion molecule 1, interleukin-6, and C-reactive protein in patients with recent acute coronary syndromesFrancois Lesperance
Department of Psychiatry, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am J Psychiatry 161:271-7. 2004..This study was conducted to determine whether or not depression is associated with higher levels of inflammatory markers in patients recovering from acute coronary syndromes...
- Anxiety sensitivity moderates prognostic importance of rhythm-control versus rate-control strategies in patients with atrial fibrillation and congestive heart failure: insights from the Atrial Fibrillation and Congestive Heart Failure TrialNancy Frasure-Smith
Heart Institute Research Centre, 5000 Belanger, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H1T 1C8
Circ Heart Fail 5:322-30. 2012..We assessed whether AS is associated with outcomes of rhythm-control versus rate-control in congestive heart failure (CHF) patients with AF...
- Platelet and endothelial activity in comorbid major depression and coronary artery disease patients treated with citalopram: the Canadian Cardiac Randomized Evaluation of Antidepressant and Psychotherapy Efficacy Trial (CREATE) biomarker sub-studyLouis T Van Zyl
Department of Psychiatry, Queen s University, Kingston, ON, Canada
J Thromb Thrombolysis 27:48-56. 2009..We assessed whether treatment of depressed CAD patients with citalopram alters platelet/endothelial biomarkers. The study was performed within the framework of the CREATE trial...
- The relationships among heart rate variability, inflammatory markers and depression in coronary heart disease patientsNancy Frasure-Smith
Department of Psychiatry and School of Nursing, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Brain Behav Immun 23:1140-7. 2009..Interventions targeting regulation of both autonomic control and inflammation may be of particular importance...
- Quality of life and functional capacity in patients with atrial fibrillation and congestive heart failureIrina Suman-Horduna
Montreal Heart Institute and Montreal Heart Institute Coordinating Center, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Am Coll Cardiol 61:455-60. 2013..This study sought to assess the impact of rhythm- versus rate-control treatment strategies and of underlying rhythm on quality of life and functional capacity in patients with atrial fibrillation (AF) and congestive heart failure (CHF)...
- Treatment preferences in patients with first episode depressionJanie Houle
Department of Psychology, Universite du Quebec a Montreal, PO Box 8888, Centre ville Branch, Montreal, QC, Canada
J Affect Disord 147:94-100. 2013..This study examines associations between patients' treatment preferences, their characteristics and illness representations of depression...
- Myocardial perfusion study of panic attacks in patients with coronary artery diseaseRichard Fleet
Research Center, Montreal Heart Institute, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am J Cardiol 96:1064-8. 2005..Thus, despite being on their cardiac medications, panic attacks preferentially induced significant perfusion defects in patients who had CAD and PD. In conclusion, panic attacks in patients who have CAD appear to be bad for the heart...
- Depression, C-reactive protein and two-year major adverse cardiac events in men after acute coronary syndromesNancy Frasure-Smith
Department of Psychiatry and School of Nursing, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Biol Psychiatry 62:302-8. 2007....
- Depression and anxiety as predictors of 2-year cardiac events in patients with stable coronary artery diseaseNancy Frasure-Smith
Department of Psychiatry and School of Nursing, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Arch Gen Psychiatry 65:62-71. 2008..Anxiety and depression are associated with mechanisms that promote atherosclerosis. Most recent studies of emotional disturbances in coronary artery disease (CAD) have focused on depression only...
- Additive effects of obesity and TCF7L2 variants on risk for type 2 diabetes among cardiac patientsQing Ling Duan
Department of Medicine, Université de Montréal and Centre Hospitalier de l Université de Montréal, Montreal, Canada
Diabetes Care 30:1621-3. 2007
- Depression and coronary artery diseaseNancy Frasure-Smith
Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, Hopital Notre Dame, Recherche Psychiatrie, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Herz 31:64-8. 2006..Additional clinical trials to assess the impact of omega-3 supplements on depression are clearly warranted both in CAD patients and in individuals free of heart disease...
- Elevated depression symptoms predict long-term cardiovascular mortality in patients with atrial fibrillation and heart failureNancy Frasure-Smith
Montreal Heart Institute Research Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Circulation 120:134-40, 3p following 140. 2009....
- Major depression is associated with lower omega-3 fatty acid levels in patients with recent acute coronary syndromesNancy Frasure-Smith
Department of Psychiatry, Sainte Foy, Quebec, Canada
Biol Psychiatry 55:891-6. 2004..We sought to examine relationships between depression and serum levels of omega-3 and omega-6 PUFAs in patients recovering from acute coronary syndromes (ACS)...
- Are exercise stress tests appropriate for assessing myocardial ischemia in patients with major depressive disorder?Kim L Lavoie
Research Center, Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am Heart J 148:621-7. 2004....
- Long-term survival differences among low-anxious, high-anxious and repressive copers enrolled in the Montreal heart attack readjustment trialNancy Frasure-Smith
Department of Psychiatry, McGill University, Research Center, Montreal Heart Institute, QC, Canada
Psychosom Med 64:571-9. 2002..The potential mediating roles of medications, medical care utilization, and changes in negative emotions over the program are also explored...
- Depression and other psychological risks following myocardial infarctionNancy Frasure-Smith
Department of Psychiatry and the School of Nursing, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Arch Gen Psychiatry 60:627-36. 2003..There is consistent evidence that depression symptoms predict long-term mortality following a myocardial infarction, and recent results show a dose-related gradient. The importance of other psychological variables remains unclear...
- Assessment and treatment of depression in patients with cardiovascular disease: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute working group reportKarina W Davidson
Department of Medicine, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY 10032, USA, and Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal Research Center, Quebec, Canada
Ann Behav Med 32:121-6. 2006
- Recent evidence linking coronary heart disease and depressionNancy Frasure-Smith
Department of Psychiatry and School of Nursing, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec
Can J Psychiatry 51:730-7. 2006....
- Reflections on depression as a cardiac risk factorNancy Frasure-Smith
Department of Psychiatry, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Psychosom Med 67:S19-25. 2005..We wondered what was missing from the available data...
- Nursing approaches to reducing psychological distress in men and women recovering from myocardial infarctionSylvie Cossette
Faculty of Nursing, University of Montreal, Canada
Int J Nurs Stud 39:479-94. 2002..There were also gender differences in the way directive and collaborative intervention approaches were related to changes in distress...
- Depression and anxiety and outcomes of coronary artery bypass surgeryVirginie Pignay-Demaria
Department of Psychosomatic Medicine, Montreal Heart Institute, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Ann Thorac Surg 75:314-21. 2003....
- Inequities in medical follow-up for depression: a population-based study in MontrealJanie Houle
Department of Psychology, Universite du Quebec a Montreal, Case Postale 8888, Succursale Centre Ville, Montreal, Quebec H3C 3P8, Canada
Psychiatr Serv 61:258-63. 2010..The aim of this study was to measure the quality of medical follow-up of depression in a universal-access health care system and identify its main correlates...
- Spiritual reconfigurations of self after a myocardial infarction: Influence of culture and placeDanielle Groleau
Division of Social and Transcultural Psychiatry, McGill University, Montreal, Que, Canada
Health Place 16:853-60. 2010..Results illustrate how place and culture interact to shape illness experience and recovery trajectories after a life-threatening health event...