- Occupational asthma: new low-molecular-weight causal agents, 2000-2010J A Pralong
Department of Chest Medicine, Sacré Cœur Hospital, University of Montreal, QC, Canada H4J 1C5
J Allergy (Cairo) 2012:597306. 2012..This paper highlights the importance of being alert to the occurrence of new LMW sensitizers, which can elicit OA. The immunological mechanism is explained by a type I hypersensitivity reaction in 20% of all newly described LMW agents...
- Irritant-induced asthmaManon Labrecque
Departement de Medecine, Centre de Recherche de l hôpital Sacré Cœur de Montréal, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 12:140-4. 2012..To describe the recent insights into the definition, causes, natural outcome, and key elements of irritant-induced asthma (IIA) management...
- Medical surveillance programme for diisocyanate exposureManon Labrecque
Department of Chest Medicine, Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, 5400 Gouin Blvd West, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Occup Environ Med 68:302-7. 2011....
- Impairment in workers with isocyanate-induced occupational asthma and removed from exposure in the province of Québec between 1985 and 2002Manon Labrecque
Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Occup Environ Med 48:1093-8. 2006....
- Occupational asthma due to pork antigensM Labrecque
Department of Chest Medicine, Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, 5400 Gouin West Blvd, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4J 1C5
Allergy 59:893-4. 2004
- Can access to spirometry in asthma education centres influence the referral rate by primary physicians for education?M Labrecque
Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, Chest Department, Université of Montréal, Montreal, Canada
Can Respir J 13:427-31. 2006..The objective of the present study was to assess the influence of increased access to spirometry in asthma education centres (AECs) on the rate of patient referrals to these centres by general practitioners...
- Effect of age on the conformity rate to short-acting beta-agonist use criteria in asthmaM Labrecque
Chest Department, Sacre Coeur Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Asthma 40:829-35. 2003..Assess compliance to asthma guidelines and influence of age concerning inhaled short-acting beta2-agonist (SABA) utilization in 5 to 45-year-old asthmatic subjects in the province of Quebec...
- Cost-effectiveness of various diagnostic approaches for occupational asthmaWendy A Kennedy
Faculty of Pharmacy, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Can Respir J 14:276-80. 2007..Diagnosis of occupational asthma (OA) by specific inhalation challenge (SIC) can be costly and is not always available. The use of sputum testing to avoid this in some patients may be a more cost-effective alternative...
- Prevalence of psychiatric disorders among patients investigated for occupational asthma: an overlooked differential diagnosis?Kim L Lavoie
Montreal Behavioural Medicine Centre, Hôpital du Sacré Coeur de Montréal a University of Montreal affiliated hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 187:926-32. 2013..Although several differential diagnoses are considered (e.g., rhinitis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), psychiatric disorders (many with somatic complaints that mimic asthma) are rarely considered or assessed...
- What is worse for asthma control and quality of life: depressive disorders, anxiety disorders, or both?Kim L Lavoie
Research Center, Division of Chest Medicine, J 3190, 5400 Gouin West, Montreal, QC, H4J 1C5, Canada
Chest 130:1039-47. 2006..This study evaluated the relative impact of having a DD and/or AD on asthma control and quality of life...
- Higher BMI is associated with worse asthma control and quality of life but not asthma severityKim L Lavoie
Research Center, Department of Chest Medicine, J 3190, Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, 5400 Gouin West, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4J 1C5
Respir Med 100:648-57. 2006..Results identify higher BMI and obesity as potential behavioral factors related to worse asthma control and quality of life, but not asthma severity, and suggest important avenues for asthma management and control initiatives...
- Sex differences in the prevalence of psychiatric disorders and psychological distress in patients with COPDCatherine Laurin
Research Center, Division of Chest Medicine, J 3190, 5400 Gouin Ouest, Montreal, QC, H4J 1C5, Canada
Chest 132:148-55. 2007..The present cross-sectional study evaluated the prevalence of mood and anxiety disorders, levels of psychological distress, and quality of life in 62 women and 54 men with documented, stable COPD...
- Long-term socioprofessional and psychological status in workers investigated for occupational asthma in quebecGregory Moullec
Research Centre, Division of Chest Medicine, Hôpital du Sacré Cœur de Montréal a University of Montreal affiliated hospital, Quebec, Canada
J Occup Environ Med 55:1052-64. 2013..To compare the long-term status of workers with occupational asthma (OA) with those of subjects with work-exacerbated asthma (WEA) and nonasthmatic (NA) workers...
- Does a self-management education program have the same impact on emotional and functional dimensions of HRQoL?Gregory Moullec
Montreal Behavioural Medicine Centre, Hôpital du Sacré Coeur de Montréal a University of Montreal affiliated hospital, Quebec, Canada
COPD 9:36-45. 2012..This distinction should be taken into account in program development and evaluation, to choose intervention components likely to impact on both types of self-evaluations related to HRQoL...
- The association between anxiety sensitivity and atopy in adult asthmaticsSilvana Barone
Research Center, Division of Chest Medicine, Hôpital du Sacré Coeur de Montréal a University of Montreal affiliated hospital, Montreal, QC, Canada
J Behav Med 31:331-9. 2008..11, p = .014). There was no evidence for a significant association between any of the other questionnaire scores and atopic status...
- An effective strategy for diagnosing occupational asthma: use of induced sputumFrederic Girard
Department of Chest Medicine, Sacre Coeur Hospital, 5400 West Gouin, Montreal, Quebec, H4J 1C5 Canada
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 170:845-50. 2004..3% (r 3.1-24.1) depending on the cutoff value in sputum eosinophils chosen (greater than 1 or 2%, respectively). The addition of sputum cell counts to PEF monitoring is useful to improve the diagnosis of occupational asthma...
- Association between asthma medications and suicidal ideation in adult asthmaticsHelene Favreau
Montreal Behavioural Medicine Centre, Montreal, Canada
Respir Med 106:933-41. 2012..g., theophylline and beta-2 adrenergic agonists) have been shown to provoke feelings of anxiety, fear, and irritability, but their link to SI among asthmatics has not been examined, which was the purpose of the present study...
- Can a self-management education program for patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease improve quality of life?Manon Labrecque
Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec
Can Respir J 18:e77-81. 2011..To assess the effects of a self-management program on health-related quality of life (HRQoL) and morbidity commonly associated with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)...
- Effect of an integrated care programme on re-hospitalization of patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseGregory Moullec
Research Centre, Division of Chest Medicine, Hôpital du Sacré Cœur de Montréal a University of Montreal affiliated hospital, Montreal, Canada
Respirology 17:707-14. 2012..We hypothesized that a 1-year integrated care (IC) programme comprising two components (patient-centred education+case management) would be effective in preventing COPD-related hospitalizations...
- Are psychiatric disorders associated with worse asthma control and quality of life in asthma patients?Kim L Lavoie
Research Center, Division of Chest Medicine, Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, J 3190, 5400 Gouin West, Montreal, Que, Canada H4J 1C5
Respir Med 99:1249-57. 2005..This study evaluated the prevalence of psychiatric disorders in 406 adult asthma patients, and associations between psychiatric status, levels of asthma control, and asthma-related quality of life...
- Occupational asthma: new deleterious agents at the workplaceCatherine Lemiere
Chest Department, Sacre Coeur Hospital, Montreal, 5400 Gouin Ouest, Montreal, Quebec H4J 1C5, Canada
Clin Chest Med 33:519-30. 2012..It also reports examples of occupational agents for which the fabrication processing or use have influenced the outcome of occupational asthma...
- Impact of a continuing education activity on the quality of telephone interventions by nurses in an adult asthma client baseHélène Boutin
Institut Universitaire de Cardiologie et de Pneumologie de l Hopital Laval, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
J Nurs Care Qual 21:335-43. 2006..The results suggest a positive impact on the quality of the telephone intervention in the short term, but this was not sustained over time. Few patients were referred to an AEC...
- Exaggerated bronchoconstriction due to inhalation challenges with occupational agentsJ L Malo
Dept of Chest Medicine, Sacre Coeur Hospital, Montreal, Canada
Eur Respir J 23:300-3. 2004....
- Workplace-specific challenges as a contribution to the diagnosis of occupational asthmaJ P Rioux
Dept of Chest Medicine, Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, Montreal, QC, Canada
Eur Respir J 32:997-1003. 2008..4 min) in the laboratory. The present study illustrates the usefulness of workplace monitoring of airway function in the investigation of occupational asthma and identifies factors that are more often associated with a positive reaction...
- Prospective impact of panic disorder and panic-anxiety on asthma control, health service use, and quality of life in adult patients with asthma over a 4-year follow-upHelene Favreau
Department of Psychology, University of Quebec at Montreal, PO Box 8888, Succursale Center Ville, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3C 3P8
Psychosom Med 76:147-55. 2014..023, 95% confidence interval = 1.001-1.044). Conclusions PD and anxiety sensitivity are prospectively associated with poorer asthma control and may be important targets for treatment. ..
- Antibiotics used in the ambulatory management of acute COPD exacerbationsMarie France Beauchesne
Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 3:319-22. 2008..This study was conducted to describe the different antibiotics that are used in the home management of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) exacerbations and to estimate the failure rates following the initiation of the antibiotic...
- Occupational asthmaJean Luc Malo
Department of Chest Medicine, Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, Canada
Curr Opin Pulm Med 10:57-61. 2004..Genetic susceptibility is explored. New diagnostic means are described. Surveillance programs are conducted and preventive measures are proposed...
- Screening for occupational asthma by using a self-administered questionnaire in a clinical settingJacques A Pralong
Research Center, Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, Canada jacques
J Occup Environ Med 55:527-31. 2013..Because of its high prevalence, early screening for occupational asthma (OA) is crucial. We aimed to evaluate the screening performance of the Occupational Asthma Screening Questionnaire-11 items (OASQ-11) in a clinical setting...
- Action plans in asthmaMarie France Beauchesne
Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec
Can Respir J 13:306-10. 2006..Action plans are recommended for most patients with persistent asthma to reduce the morbidity associated with this chronic disease. Unfortunately, despite these recommendations, this tool remains underused...
- Implementing practice guidelines: a workshop on guidelines dissemination and implementation with a focus on asthma and COPDLouis Philippe Boulet
Hopital Laval, 2725 Chemin Sainte Foy, Quebec, Canada
Can Respir J 13:5-47. 2006..It is hoped that this event will be followed by other meetings that focus on how to improve the transfer of key recommendations from evidence-based guidelines into current care, and how to stimulate research to accomplish this...
- Malt can cause both occupational asthma and allergic alveolitisD Miedinger
Department of Chest Medicine, Hôpital du Sacré Coeur, Montreal, H4J 1C5 QC, Canada
Allergy 64:1228-9. 2009..Specific inhalation challenge can help differentiate occupational asthma from allergic alveolitis caused by malt...
- Occupational asthma due to bethabara wood dustM R Yacoub
Department of Chest Medicine, Sacre Coeur Hospital, Montreal, Canada
Allergy 60:1544-5. 2005
- Integrated approach to diagnosis of associated occupational asthma and rhinitisSébastien Ba Thien Nguyen
Respiratory Research Division, Research Center, Hôpital du Sacré Coeur de Monteréal, Montreal, Quebec
Can Respir J 19:385-7. 2012..A systematic and parallel diagnostic approach enables confirmation of a diagnosis of OA and OR in patients complaining of work-related rhinitis and asthma symptoms...
- Occupational eosinophilic bronchitisM R Yacoub
Department of Chest Medicine, Sacre Coeur Hospital, Montreal, Canada
Allergy 60:1542-4. 2005
- A randomized controlled trial of nonpharmacologic approaches for relief of low back pain during laborM Labrecque
Department of Family Medicine, Laval University, Sainte Foy, Quebec, Canada
J Fam Pract 48:259-63. 1999..Low back pain is common during labor. Our randomized controlled trial compared the effectiveness of 3 nonpharmacologic approaches for relief of back pain...
- Reactions of health professionals to a research-based theatre productionRoss E Gray
Toronto Synnybrook Regional Cancer Centre, the Psychosocial and Behavioural Research Unit, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Cancer Educ 18:223-9. 2003....
- Supportive care provided by physicians and nurses to women with breast cancer. Results from a population-based surveyRoss E Gray
Psychosocial and Behavioural Research Unit, Toronto Sunnybrook Regional Cancer Centre, 790 Bay Street, Suite 950, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5G 1N8
Support Care Cancer 10:647-52. 2002..Even brief interventions may make an important difference to how patients deal with their illness over time...