- Analytic global OSCE ratings are sensitive to level of trainingBrian Hodges
Wilson Centre for Research in Education, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Med Educ 37:1012-6. 2003..This study assessed the construct validity of an analytic global rating with 4 component subscales: empathy, coherence, verbal and non-verbal expression...
- The research innovation and scholarship in education program: an innovative way to nurture educationMaria Tina Martimianakis
Department of Psychiatry and the Wilson Centre for Research in Education at the University of Toronto in Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Acad Psychiatry 33:364-9. 2009..The authors document the creation and 5-year progress of the Research Innovation and Scholarship in Education (RISE) program at the largest psychiatry department in Canada...
- Evaluating psychiatry residents as physician-managers: development of an assessment toolSanjeev Sockalingam
Dept of Psychiatry, University of Toronto the Dept of Psychiatry, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Acad Psychiatry 37:11-7. 2013..The aim of this study was to determine psychiatry residents', program directors', and PM educators' perceptions about PM role-assessment...
- Factors predicting practice location and outreach consultation among University of Toronto psychiatry graduatesBrian Hodges
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Ontario
Can J Psychiatry 51:218-25. 2006..To identify the determinants of practice location and of outreach consultation of recently graduated psychiatrists...
- The challenge of creating new OSCE measures to capture the characteristics of expertiseBrian Hodges
Department of Psychiatry and the centre for Research in Education, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Med Educ 36:742-8. 2002..Creating better OSCE measures requires an understanding of how the interviewing style of experts differs objectively from novices...
- Validity and the OSCEBrian Hodges
Wilson Centre for Research in Education, University of Toronto, Canada
Med Teach 25:250-4. 2003..And finally, the concept of validity flounders because the OSCE itself is an important agent in constructing the variables of performance that it is designed to measure. I shall consider each issue in turn...
- Psychiatric training in rural and remote areas: increasing skills and building partnershipsAndrea Berntson
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
Can J Psychiatry 50:1-8. 2005
- Assessment in the post-psychometric era: learning to love the subjective and collectiveBrian Hodges
Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Med Teach 35:564-8. 2013..Second, expensive, high-stakes final examinations are not well suited for longitudinal assessment in workplaces. The result is a need to consider assessment methods that are subjective and collective. ..
- Medical education and the maintenance of incompetenceBrian Hodges
Wilson Centre for Research in Education, University of Toronto, Canada
Med Teach 28:690-6. 2006..In this paper I argue that, as with medical treatments, medical educators must pay more attention to the side-effects of the discourses that shape medical education...
- Research in medical education: balancing service and scienceMathieu Albert
Wilson Centre for Research in Education, Toronto General Hospital, University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine, 200 Elizabeth Street, Eaton South 1 581, Toronto, ON, M5G 2C4, Canada
Adv Health Sci Educ Theory Pract 12:103-15. 2007..Two principal means for improving research are presented: intensifying collaboration between PhD's and clinicians, and encouraging the diversification of perspectives brought to bear on research in medical education...
- Psychiatry, war, and the learning needs of residentsAlpna Munshi
The Wilson Centre, 200 Elizabeth Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Acad Psychiatry 34:208-10. 2010....
- Changes in dental student empathy during trainingCarilynne Yarascavitch
Wilson Centre for Education Research, University of Toronto, University Health Network, 1E565 200 Elizabeth Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5G 2C4
J Dent Educ 73:509-17. 2009..This isolated decrease in Pro-Emo empathy with an increase in Pro-Cog empathy is consistent with the development of "professional empathy," described elsewhere as detached concern...
- OSCE! Variations on a theme by HardenBrian Hodges
Department of Psychiatry, Wilson Centre for Research in Education, University of Toronto, Toronto General Hospital, Ontario, Canada
Med Educ 37:1134-40. 2003..Harden's OSCE dramatically changed the assessment of professional competence because it used actors and choreographed scenarios to evaluate the performance of professional behaviours...
- Structuring communication relationships for interprofessional teamwork (SCRIPT): a Canadian initiative aimed at improving patient-centred careScott Reeves
University of Toronto, Ontarion, Canada
J Interprof Care 21:111-4. 2007
- Integration and timing of basic and clinical sciences educationGlen Bandiera
University of Toronto, ON, Canada
Med Teach 35:381-7. 2013..Over time, the relevance of basic sciences has become defined by their role in supporting clinical problem solving rather than being, of themselves, a defining knowledge base of physicians...
- Study protocol for a pilot study to explore the determinants of knowledge use in a medical education contextScott Reeves
Director, Center for Innovation in Interprofessional Healthcare Education, University of California, San Francisco and Editor in Chief, Journal of Interprofessional Care, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA Director, Centre for Faculty Development and Associate Professor, Department of Paediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada Education Research Associate, Centre for Faculty Development, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada Education Research Associate, Centre for Faculty Development, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada Canada Research Chair, Implementation of Shared Decision Making in Primary Care Professor, Department of Family Medicine and Emergency Medicine and Director, Knowledge Transfer and Health Technology Assessment Research Group, Research Center of Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Québec, Universite Laval, Quebec, QC, Canada Vice President Education, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, ON, Canada and Professor, Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada Vice Dean, Undergraduate Medical Education and Professor of Paediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Canada
J Eval Clin Pract 19:829-32. 2013....
- Duty hours reforms in the United States, France, and Canada: is it time to refocus our attention on education?Sarah I Woodrow
Department of Surgery, University of Toronto, Wilson Centre for Research in Education, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Acad Med 81:1045-51. 2006..The resulting diversity in the origin and nature of such regulations serves to highlight the lack of evidence that has guided their development and the need to refocus on the educational elements of postgraduate training...
- Intersections of creativity in the evaluation of the Wilson Centre Fellowship ProgrammeKathryn Parker
Department of Paediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Med Educ 44:1095-104. 2010..This process incorporates the principles of programme theory and a framework drawn from the field of organisational development...
- The many and conflicting histories of medical education in Canada and the USA: an introduction to the paradigm warsBrian Hodges
Donald R Wilson Centre for Research in Education, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Med Educ 39:613-21. 2005....
- The effect of candidates' perceptions of the evaluation method on reliability of checklist and global rating scores in an objective structured clinical examinationJodi Herold McIlroy
Department of Physical Therapy, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Acad Med 77:725-8. 2002..This study examines the impact of the students' orientation to the rating system on OSCE scores and the interstation reliability of the checklist and global scores...
- Expert and trainee determinations of rhetorical relevance in referral and consultation lettersLorelei Lingard
Centre for Research in Education, University Health Network, University of Toronto, 200 Elizabeth Street, Eaton South I 605, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 2C4
Med Educ 38:168-76. 2004..Our study examined how "relevance" is signalled and decoded in these letters, from the perspective of both experts and trainees in three clinical specialties...
- [Medical education in France and Canada: is there a best system?]Christophe Segouin
Service de santé publique et économie de la santé, Groupe Hospitalier Lariboisière Fernand Widal, 75745 Paris 10
Rev Prat 58:121-7. 2008..In conclusion, we highlight the important of taking into consideration these factors before undertaking reform of educational systems or transferring methods from one country to another...
- Scylla or Charybdis: navigating between excessive examination and naïve reliance on self-assessmentBrian Hodges
Nurs Inq 14:177. 2007
- World conference on medical education: a window on the globalizing world of medical education?Christophe Segouin
Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, France
Med Teach 29:e63-6. 2007....
- Educating doctors in France and Canada: are the differences based on evidence or history?Christophe Segouin
Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Faculte de Medecine, Universite Denis Diderot, Paris 7, France
Med Educ 39:1205-12. 2005..Despite many economic and political similarities between France and Canada, particularly in their health care systems, there are very significant differences in their systems of medical education...
- Ensuring global standards for medical graduates: a pilot study of international standard-settingDavid T Stern
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, USA
Med Teach 27:207-13. 2005..In addition, they were able to set consistent performance standards with multiple examination types. This provides an initial basis against which to compare physician performance internationally...
- Country report: medical education in FranceChristophe Segouin
Faculty of Medicine, University Paris 7 Denis Diderot, Paris, France
Med Educ 41:295-301. 2007..The last 10 years have represented a period of significant reform within both the health care and education systems in France. In terms of its workforce, France faces a shortage of doctors, particularly in primary care...