Alice K Hawkins
- Developing a comprehensive, effective patient-friendly website to enhance decision making in predictive testing for Huntington diseaseAlice K Hawkins Virani
Centre for Molecular Medicine and Therapeutics, University of British Columbia, Child and Family Research Institute, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Genet Med 15:466-72. 2013..The main objective of this project was to develop a patient-friendly, comprehensive, accessible Web-based tool to provide accurate information about testing for Huntington disease...
- When access is an issue: exploring barriers to predictive testing for Huntington disease in British Columbia, CanadaAlice K Hawkins
Department of Medical Genetics, Centre for Molecular Medicine and Therapeutics, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Eur J Hum Genet 21:148-53. 2013..The study findings underscore the need for us to rethink and personalize the way we deliver such services to improve access issues to prevent inequities in the health care system...
- Genetic counseling and the ethical issues around direct to consumer genetic testingAlice K Hawkins
Centre for Applied Ethics, University of British Columbia, 227 6356 Agricultural Road, Vancouver, BC V6T1Z2, Canada
J Genet Couns 21:367-73. 2012..Ultimately this will help ensure that the public enjoys the benefits of an increasingly genetic based healthcare system...
- "Who owns your poop?": insights regarding the intersection of human microbiome research and the ELSI aspects of biobanking and related studiesAlice K Hawkins
Department of Psychology, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON, N1G 2W1, Canada
BMC Med Genomics 4:72. 2011..While the social, ethical, and legal implications of biobanking and large scale data sharing are already complicated enough, they may be further compounded by research on the human microbiome...
- A grand challenge: providing benefits of clinical genetics to those in needAlice K Hawkins
Department of Medical Genetics, Centre for Molecular Medicine and Therapeutics, Child and Family Research Institute, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Genet Med 13:197-200. 2011..A proactive approach is essential to ensure the potential benefits, and availability of clinical genetics is realized by those in need rather than just those in reach...
- Biobanks: importance, implications and opportunities for genetic counselorsAlice K Hawkins
Department of Medical Genetics, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
J Genet Couns 19:423-9. 2010....