- Haas B, Vaillancourt K, Bonifait L, Gottschalk M, Grenier D. Hyaluronate lyase activity of Streptococcus suis serotype 2 and modulatory effects of hyaluronic acid on the bacterium's virulence properties. BMC Res Notes. 2015;8:722 pubmed publisher..However, exogenous hyaluronic acid that is likely to interact with S. suis and host cells during the course of infection appears to modulate several virulence determinants of the bacterium, in addition to promote inflammation. ..
- Auger J, Fittipaldi N, Benoit Biancamano M, Segura M, Gottschalk M. Virulence Studies of Different Sequence Types and Geographical Origins of Streptococcus suis Serotype 2 in a Mouse Model of Infection. Pathogens. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..The use of strains other than archetypal strains has increased our knowledge and understanding of the S. suis serotype 2 population dynamics. ..
- Mathieu Denoncourt A, Letendre C, Auger J, Segura M, Aragon V, Lacouture S, et al. Limited Interactions between Streptococcus Suis and Haemophilus Parasuis in In Vitro Co-Infection Studies. Pathogens. 2018;7: pubmed publisher..suis and H. parasuis have limited in vitro interactions between them and use probably different host receptors, regardless to their level of virulence. ..
- Zheng H, Du P, Qiu X, Kerdsin A, Roy D, Bai X, et al. Genomic comparisons of Streptococcus suis serotype 9 strains recovered from diseased pigs in Spain and Canada. Vet Res. 2018;49:1 pubmed publisher..The rapid population expansion of dominant lineage 1 occurred within the last 40 years probably due to the rapid development of the porcine industry. ..
- Gottschalk M, Xu J, Calzas C, Segura M. Streptococcus suis: a new emerging or an old neglected zoonotic pathogen?. Future Microbiol. 2010;5:371-91 pubmed publisher..In this article we critically review the present knowledge on S. suis infection in humans, we discuss the hypotheses that may explain the 2005 outbreak and the repercussion of such an episode on the scientific community...
- Zheng H, Qiu X, Roy D, Segura M, Du P, Xu J, et al. Genotyping and investigating capsular polysaccharide synthesis gene loci of non-serotypeable Streptococcus suis isolated from diseased pigs in Canada. Vet Res. 2017;48:10 pubmed publisher..When using a combination of the previously described 35 serotypes and the complete NCL system, the number of untypeable strains recovered from diseased animals in Canada would be significantly reduced. ..
- Segura M, Fittipaldi N, Calzas C, Gottschalk M. Critical Streptococcus suis Virulence Factors: Are They All Really Critical?. Trends Microbiol. 2017;25:585-599 pubmed publisher..In this review we discuss the current contradictions and controversies raised by this explosion of virulence factors and the future directions that may be conceived to advance and enlighten research on S. suis pathogenesis. ..
- Martelet L, Lacouture S, Goyette Desjardins G, Beauchamp G, Surprenant C, Gottschalk M, et al. Porcine Dendritic Cells as an In Vitro Model to Assess the Immunological Behaviour of Streptococcus suis Subunit Vaccine Formulations and the Polarizing Effect of Adjuvants. Pathogens. 2017;6: pubmed publisher
- Calzas C, Taillardet M, Fourati I, Roy D, Gottschalk M, Soudeyns H, et al. Evaluation of the Immunomodulatory Properties of Streptococcus suis and Group B Streptococcus Capsular Polysaccharides on the Humoral Response. Pathogens. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..Thus, other biochemical criteria unrelated to the presence of sialic acid may be responsible for the inaptitude of the host immune system to mount an effective response against certain S. suis and GBS CPS types. ..
- Chuzeville S, Auger J, Dumesnil A, Roy D, Lacouture S, Fittipaldi N, et al. Serotype-specific role of antigen I/II in the initial steps of the pathogenesis of the infection caused by Streptococcus suis. Vet Res. 2017;48:39 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings suggest that surface exposed AgI/II likely play a key role in the first steps of the pathogenesis of the S. suis serotype 9 infection. ..
- Gottschalk M, Lacouture S, Bonifait L, Roy D, Fittipaldi N, Grenier D. Characterization of Streptococcus suis isolates recovered between 2008 and 2011 from diseased pigs in Québec, Canada. Vet Microbiol. 2013;162:819-25 pubmed publisher..Electron microscopy studies confirmed the lack of capsular polysaccharide in selected non-typable high hydrophobic strains. The role and pathogenesis of the infection caused by these strains remain to be elucidated...