R W Macdonald
Affiliation: Fisheries and Oceans Canada
- The overlooked role of the ocean in mercury cycling in the ArcticRobie W Macdonald
Department of Environment, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3T 2N2
Mar Pollut Bull 56:1963-5. 2008..Only through focussed studies on Hg dynamics in the Arctic Ocean under a changing climate are we going to understand what the risk of mercury is to those marine ecosystems and the people who rely on them...
- Sediment redox tracers in Strait of Georgia sediments--can they inform us of the loadings of organic carbon from municipal wastewater?R W Macdonald
Department of Fisheries and Oceans, Institute of Ocean Sciences, P O Box 6000, Sidney, BC, Canada V8L 4B2
Mar Environ Res 66:S87-100. 2008....
- Biogeochemical cycling in the Strait of GeorgiaS C Johannessen
Institute of Ocean Sciences, Fisheries and Oceans Canada, 9860 W Saanich Rd, P O Box 6000, Sidney, BC, Canada V8L 4B2
Mar Environ Res 66:S1-2. 2008..The latter set of papers addresses the role of municipal effluent as a pathway of organic carbon and other contaminants into the Strait of Georgia and the effect of the effluent on benthic geochemistry and biology...
- Joined by geochemistry, divided by history: PCBs and PBDEs in Strait of Georgia sedimentsS C Johannessen
Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Institute of Ocean Sciences, 9860 W Saanich Road, P O Box 6000, Sidney, BC, Canada V8L 4B2
Mar Environ Res 66:S112-20. 2008..The experience with PCBs suggests that if PBDEs were banned today, it would take decades for inorganic sediment to bury them...
- Increasing contaminant burdens in an arctic fish, Burbot ( Lota lota ), in a warming climateJ Carrie
Centre for Earth Observation Science, Department of Environment and Geography, University of Manitoba, 125 Dysart Road, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3T 2N2, Canada
Environ Sci Technol 44:316-22. 2010....
- Biogeographic provinces of total and methyl mercury in zooplankton and fish from the Beaufort and Chukchi seas: results from the SHEBA driftG A Stern
Department of Fisheries and Oceans, Freshwater Institute, 501 University Crescent, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Environ Sci Technol 39:4707-13. 2005....
- Natural and anthropogenic inputs of hydrocarbons to the Strait of GeorgiaM B Yunker
Contaminants Science Section, Institute of Ocean Sciences, Sidney, British Columbia, Canada
Sci Total Environ 225:181-209. 1999....
- Water column organic carbon in a Pacific marginal sea (Strait of Georgia, Canada)S C Johannessen
Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Institute of Ocean Sciences, 9860 West Saanich Raod, P O Box 6000, Sidney, BC, Canada V8L 4B2
Mar Environ Res 66:S49-61. 2008..6x10(8) kg yr(-1)) presumably supports microbial food webs or participates in chemical or photochemical reactions, while that which is exported (7.2x10(8) kg yr(-1)) represents a local source of organic carbon to the open ocean...
- There is no 1954 in that core! Interpreting sedimentation rates and contaminant trends in marine sediment coresS C Johannessen
Institute of Ocean Sciences, Fisheries and Oceans Canada, 9860 W Saanich Rd, P O Box 6000, Sidney, B C, Canada
Mar Pollut Bull 64:675-8. 2012..Numerical models that incorporate sedimentation and mixing rates (determined using (210)Pb and other transient signals with known deposition histories) can provide the basis to propose plausible histories for contaminant fluxes...
- Responses of subtidal benthos of the Strait of Georgia, British Columbia, Canada to ambient sediment conditions and natural and anthropogenic depositionsB J Burd
Ecostat Research Ltd, 1040 Clayton Road, North Saanich, BC, Canada V8L 5P6
Mar Environ Res 66:S62-79. 2008....
- Natural rates of sediment containment of PAH, PCB and metal inventories in Sydney Harbour, Nova ScotiaJ N Smith
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2
Sci Total Environ 407:4858-69. 2009....
- Mechanisms and implications of α-HCH enrichment in melt pond water on Arctic sea iceM Pućko
Centre for Earth Observation Science, University of Manitoba, 460 Wallace Building, 125 Dysart Road, Winnipeg, R3T 2N2, Canada
Environ Sci Technol 46:11862-9. 2012....
- α- and γ-Hexachlorocyclohexane measurements in the brine fraction of sea ice in the Canadian High Arctic using a sump-hole techniqueM Pućko
Freshwater Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans, 501 University Crescent, Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3T 2N6, Canada
Environ Sci Technol 44:9258-64. 2010..Levels of HCHs in the brine exceed under-ice water concentrations by approximately a factor of 3, a circumstance suggesting that the brine ecosystem has been, and continues to be, the most exposed to HCHs...
- Recent climate change in the Arctic and its impact on contaminant pathways and interpretation of temporal trend dataR W Macdonald
Institute of Ocean Sciences, Department of Fisheries and Oceans, P O Box 6000, Sydney, BC, Canada V8L 4B2
Sci Total Environ 342:5-86. 2005..Presently, a major reservoir for contaminants and the one most directly connected to biological uptake in species at greatest risk-the ocean-practically lacks such time series...
- Quantitative determination of nonylphenol polyethoxylate surfactants in marine sediment using normal-phase liquid chromatography-electrospray mass spectrometryD Y Shang
Department of Fisheries and Oceans, Institute of Ocean Sciences, Sidney, British Columbia, Canada
J Chromatogr A 849:467-82. 1999..This work also demonstrates that by proper selection of normal-phase LC-ESI-MS interface conditions this technique is capable of solving separation problems which are not amenable with reversed-phase LC-ESI-MS...