- Veillette M, Coutu M, Richard J, Batraville L, DÃ©sormeaux A, Roger M, et al. Conformational evaluation of HIV-1 trimeric envelope glycoproteins using a cell-based ELISA assay. J Vis Exp. 2014;:51995 pubmed publisher..It requires minimal amount of material and no highly-specialized equipment or know-how. Thus, this technique can be established for medium to high throughput screening of antigens and antibodies, such as newly-isolated antibodies. ..
- Lewis G, Finzi A, DeVico A, Pazgier M. Conformational Masking and Receptor-Dependent Unmasking of Highly Conserved Env Epitopes Recognized by Non-Neutralizing Antibodies That Mediate Potent ADCC against HIV-1. Viruses. 2015;7:5115-32 pubmed publisher..Here, we discuss a less studied problem, the structural basis of protection (and its evasion) by antibodies that protect only by potent Fc-mediated effector function. ..
- Alsahafi N, Ding S, Richard J, Markle T, Brassard N, Walker B, et al. Nef Proteins from HIV-1 Elite Controllers Are Inefficient at Preventing Antibody-Dependent Cellular Cytotoxicity. J Virol. 2015;90:2993-3002 pubmed publisher..Therefore, targeting Nef's ability to downregulate CD4 could render HIV-1-infected cells susceptible to ADCC and thus have therapeutic utility. ..
- Ding S, Medjahed H, Prévost J, Coutu M, Xiang S, Finzi A. Lineage-Specific Differences between the gp120 Inner Domain Layer 3 of Human Immunodeficiency Virus and That of Simian Immunodeficiency Virus. J Virol. 2016;90:10065-10073 pubmed publisher..Here we report that SIV layer 3 has a greater impact on CD4 binding than does layer 3 in HIV-1 gp120. This work defines lineage-specific differences in layer 3 from HIV-1 and SIV. ..
- Alsahafi N, Richard J, Prévost J, Coutu M, Brassard N, Parsons M, et al. Impaired Downregulation of NKG2D Ligands by Nef Proteins from Elite Controllers Sensitizes HIV-1-Infected Cells to Antibody-Dependent Cellular Cytotoxicity. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..We now show that downregulation of NKG2D ligands by HIV-1 Nef from EC is inefficient and leaves infected cells susceptible to ADCC. These data suggest a critical role for NKG2D ligands in anti-HIV-1 ADCC responses. ..
- Veillette M, Coutu M, Richard J, Batraville L, Dagher O, Bernard N, et al. The HIV-1 gp120 CD4-bound conformation is preferentially targeted by antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity-mediating antibodies in sera from HIV-1-infected individuals. J Virol. 2015;89:545-51 pubmed publisher..This observation suggests that HIV-1 developed sophisticated mechanisms to minimize the exposure of these epitopes at the surface of infected cells. ..
- Prévost J, Zoubchenok D, Richard J, Veillette M, Pacheco B, Coutu M, et al. Influence of the Envelope gp120 Phe 43 Cavity on HIV-1 Sensitivity to Antibody-Dependent Cell-Mediated Cytotoxicity Responses. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..CRF01_AE HIV-1 strains have an unusual Phe 43 cavity-filling His 375 residue, which increases the propensity of Env to sample the CD4-bound conformation, thereby increasing susceptibility to ADCC. ..
- Ding S, Veillette M, Coutu M, PrÃ©vost J, Scharf L, Bjorkman P, et al. A Highly Conserved Residue of the HIV-1 gp120 Inner Domain Is Important for Antibody-Dependent Cellular Cytotoxicity Responses Mediated by Anti-cluster A Antibodies. J Virol. 2016;90:2127-34 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that a highly conserved tryptophan at position 69 of the gp120 inner domain is important for ADCC mediated by anti-cluster A antibodies and sera from HIV-1-infected individuals. ..
- Veillette M, Richard J, Pazgier M, Lewis G, Parsons M, Finzi A. Role of HIV-1 Envelope Glycoproteins Conformation and Accessory Proteins on ADCC Responses. Curr HIV Res. 2016;14:9-23 pubmed
- Richard J, Prévost J, Alsahafi N, Ding S, Finzi A. Impact of HIV-1 Envelope Conformation on ADCC Responses. Trends Microbiol. 2018;26:253-265 pubmed publisher..Cells exposing State 1 Env are susceptible to ADCC mediated by bNAbs. Here, we discuss how Env conformation affects ADCC responses and in vitro measurements. ..
- Zoubchenok D, Veillette M, Prévost J, Sanders Buell E, Wagh K, Korber B, et al. Histidine 375 Modulates CD4 Binding in HIV-1 CRF01_AE Envelope Glycoproteins. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..Moreover, this work suggests that specific residues of the gp120 inner domain layers have coevolved with H375 in order to maintain its ability to mediate viral entry. ..
- Richard J, Pacheco B, Gohain N, Veillette M, Ding S, Alsahafi N, et al. Co-receptor Binding Site Antibodies Enable CD4-Mimetics to Expose Conserved Anti-cluster A ADCC Epitopes on HIV-1 Envelope Glycoproteins. EBioMedicine. 2016;12:208-218 pubmed publisher..The understanding of the conformational changes required to expose these vulnerable Env epitopes might be important in the design of new strategies aimed at fighting HIV-1. ..
- Prévost J, Richard J, Ding S, Pacheco B, Charlebois R, Hahn B, et al. Envelope glycoproteins sampling states 2/3 are susceptible to ADCC by sera from HIV-1-infected individuals. Virology. 2018;515:38-45 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that the conformations spontaneously sampled by the Env trimer at the surface of infected cells has a significant impact on ADCC responses. ..