Julio C Fernandes
- The role of cytokines in osteoarthritis pathophysiologyJulio C Fernandes
Osteoarthritis Research Unit, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, Hopital Notre Dame, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Biorheology 39:237-46. 2002..Future directions in the research and treatment of osteoarthritis (OA) will be based on the emerging picture of pathophysiological events that modulate the initiation and progression of OA...
- Production of lipid peroxidation products in osteoarthritic tissues: new evidence linking 4-hydroxynonenal to cartilage degradationBarbara Morquette
Orthopedic Research Labotatory, Sacre Coeur Hospital, Porte K 3045, University of Montreal, 5400 Boulevard Gouin West, Montreal, Quebec H4J 1C5, Canada
Arthritis Rheum 54:271-81. 2006..This study was designed to test whether HNE signaling and binding are involved in OA cartilage degradation through type II collagen (CII) and matrix metalloproteinase 13 (MMP-13) modulation...
- Alterations of metabolic activity in human osteoarthritic osteoblasts by lipid peroxidation end product 4-hydroxynonenalQin Shi
Orthopaedic Research Laboratory, Sacre Coeur Hospital, University of Montreal, 5400 Gouin West, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4J 1C5
Arthritis Res Ther 8:R159. 2006..These findings suggest that HNE may exert multiple effects on human OA osteoblasts by selective activation of signal transduction pathways and alteration of osteoblastic phenotype expression and pro-inflammatory mediator production...
- Bone-protective effects of nonviral gene therapy with folate-chitosan DNA nanoparticle containing interleukin-1 receptor antagonist gene in rats with adjuvant-induced arthritisJulio C Fernandes
Orthopaedics Research Laboratory, Research Center, Sacre Coeur Hospital, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Mol Ther 16:1243-51. 2008..Nonviral gene therapy with folate-chitosan-DNA nanoparticles containing the IL-1 Ra gene seemed to protect against bone damage and inflammation in rat adjuvant-induced arthritis model...
- Inhibition of inducible nitric oxide synthase prevents lipid peroxidation in osteoarthritic chondrocytesMireille Bentz
Orthopaedic Research Laboratory, Hôpital du Sacré Cœur de Montréal and Department of Surgery, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Cell Biochem 113:2256-67. 2012....
- 4-Hydroxynonenal induces apoptosis in human osteoarthritic chondrocytes: the protective role of glutathione-S-transferaseFrance Vaillancourt
Orthopaedic Research Laboratory, Hôpital du Sacré Caeur de Montréal, Department of Surgery, University of Montreal, 5400 Gouin Blvd, West, Montreal, QC, H4J 1C5, Canada
Arthritis Res Ther 10:R107. 2008..In the present study, we focused on characterizing the signalling cascade induced by high HNE concentration involved in cell death in human OA chondrocytes...
- Hydrodynamic delivery of chitosan-folate-DNA nanoparticles in rats with adjuvant-induced arthritisQin Shi
Orthopaedics Research Laboratory, Research Centre, Sacre Coeur Hospital, University of Montreal, 5400 West Gouin Boulevard, Montreal, QC, Canada
J Biomed Biotechnol 2011:148763. 2011..This study demonstrated that a nonviral gene therapeutic approach using hydrodynamic delivery could help transfect more efficiently folate-chitosan-DNA nanoparticles in vitro/in vivo and could decrease inflammation in arthritic rats...
- Nuclear receptor retinoid-related orphan receptor α1 modulates the metabolic activity of human osteoblastsMohamed Benderdour
Orthopaedics Research Laboratory, Research Centre, Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, University of Montreal, 5400 Gouin Blvd West, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4J 1C5
J Cell Biochem 112:2160-9. 2011..The results may encourage further exploration of RORα1 as a potential target for the treatment of bone disorders related to inflammation...
- Characterization of folate-chitosan-DNA nanoparticles for gene therapySania Mansouri
Laboratoire de Recherche en Orthopédie, Centre de Recherche, Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, 5400 Boul Gouin Ouest, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Biomaterials 27:2060-5. 2006..FA-nanoparticles have lower cytoxicity, good DNA condensation, positive zeta potential and particle size around 118 nm, which makes them a promising candidate as a non-viral gene vector...
- Metabolic activity of osteoblasts retrieved from osteoarthritic patients after stimulation with mediators involved in periprosthetic looseningPatrick Lavigne
Osteoarthritis Research Unit, Department of Orthopaedics, Centre Hospitalier de l Université de Montréal Hôpital Notre Dame, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H2L 4M1
Bone 34:478-86. 2004..To compare the effects of polymethylmetacrylate (PMMA), interleukin-1beta (IL-1beta), interleukin-6 (IL-6) and tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-alpha) on osteoarthritic (OA) human osteoblasts (Ob)...
- Low molecular weight chitosan conjugated with folate for siRNA delivery in vitro: optimization studiesJulio C Fernandes
Orthopaedics Research Laboratory, Research Centre, Sacre Coeur Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Int J Nanomedicine 7:5833-45. 2012..Compared with chitosan-siRNA, folate-chitosan-siRNA nanoparticles improved gene silencing transfection efficiency. Therefore, folate-chitosan shows potential as a viable candidate vector for safe and efficient siRNA delivery...
- Expression of ICAM-1 by osteoblasts in healthy individuals and in patients suffering from osteoarthritis and osteoporosisPatrick Lavigne
Orthopaedics Research Laboratory, Department of Orthopaedics, Centre hospitalier Sacré Coeur, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Bone 35:463-70. 2004..To relate ICAM-1 expression in OA Ob with interleukin-6 (IL-6) and prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) production...
- Endothelin-1 in osteoarthritic chondrocytes triggers nitric oxide production and upregulates collagenase productionChristina Alexandra Manacu
Research Center, Sainte Justine Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Arthritis Res Ther 7:R324-32. 2005..ET-1 also induces NO release via iNOS induction. ET-1 and NO should thus become important target molecules for future therapies aimed at stopping cartilage destruction...
- Differential regulation of cyclooxygenase-2 and inducible nitric oxide synthase by 4-hydroxynonenal in human osteoarthritic chondrocytes through ATF-2/CREB-1 transactivation and concomitant inhibition of NF-kappaB signaling cascadeFrance Vaillancourt
Orthopaedic Research Laboratory, Sacre Coeur Hospital, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Cell Biochem 100:1217-31. 2007..Taken together, these findings illustrate the central role played by HNE in the regulation of COX-2 and iNOS in OA. The aldehyde induced selectively COX-2 expression via ATF/CRE activation and inhibited iNOS via IKKalpha inactivation...
- Polycation-based gene therapy: current knowledge and new perspectivesMarcio J Tiera
Orthopedic Research Laboratory, Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, Montreal, QC, Canada
Curr Gene Ther 11:288-306. 2011..The objective of this review is to address the state of the art in gene therapy with synthetic and natural polycations and the latest advances to improve gene transfer efficiency in cells...
- Perturbation of adhesion molecule-mediated chondrocyte-matrix interactions by 4-hydroxynonenal binding: implication in osteoarthritis pathogenesisRana El-Bikai
Orthopaedic Research Laboratory, Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, Department of Surgery, University of Montreal, 5400 Gouin Blvd, West, Montreal, QC H4J 1C5, Canada
Arthritis Res Ther 12:R201. 2010....
- Linear polyethylenimine produced by partial acid hydrolysis of poly(2-ethyl-2-oxazoline) for DNA and siRNA delivery in vitroJulio C Fernandes
Orthopaedics Research Laboratory, Research Centre, Sacre Coeur Hospital, Quebec, Canada
Int J Nanomedicine 8:4091-102. 2013..4. Our results also show that PEI70 was highly efficient in DNA delivery and small interfering RNA-mediated knockdown of target genes. Thus, polymers such as PEI70 appear to be very promising vectors for gene delivery. ..
- An active role for soluble and membrane intercellular adhesion molecule-1 in osteoclast activity in vitroJulio C Fernandes
Orthopaedic Research Laboratory, Department of Orthopaedics, Centre hospitalier Sacré Coeur, 5400 Boul, Gouin Ouest, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H4J 1C5
J Bone Miner Metab 26:543-50. 2008..These results indicate that ICAM-1 and sICAM have a dual effect on bone homeostasis, increasing osteoclast activity while lowering osteoblast anabolic activity...
- Involvement of ICAM-1 in bone metabolism: a potential target in the treatment of bone diseases?Patrick Lavigne
Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, Orthopedics Research Laboratory, Department of Orthopedics, 5400 Boul Gouin Ouest, Montreal, Quebec, H4J 1C5, Canada
Expert Opin Biol Ther 5:313-20. 2005..As new discoveries on the role of this adhesion molecule are being reported, ICAM-1 could become a potential target for other bone diseases as well...
- Elucidation of molecular mechanisms underlying the protective effects of thymoquinone against rheumatoid arthritisFrance Vaillancourt
Department of Surgery, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Cell Biochem 112:107-17. 2011..In conclusion, the fact that TQ abolishes a number of factors known to be involved in RA pathogenesis renders it a clinically valuable agent in the prevention of articular diseases, including RA...
- siRNA therapy for cancer and non-lethal diseases such as arthritis and osteoporosisQin Shi
University of Montreal, Sacre Coeur Hospital, Research Center, Orthopaedics Research Laboratory, Montreal, Quebec H4J 1C5, Canada
Expert Opin Biol Ther 11:5-16. 2011..The success of these therapies depends on effective systems capable of selectively and efficiently conveying siRNA to targeted cells/organs with minimal toxicity...
- In vivo selective inhibition of mitogen-activated protein kinase kinase 1/2 in rabbit experimental osteoarthritis is associated with a reduction in the development of structural changesJean Pierre Pelletier
Hopital Notre Dame, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Arthritis Rheum 48:1582-93. 2003..Additional aims were to assess the effects of the inhibitor on levels of phosphorylated extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2 (phospho-ERK-1/2) and matrix metalloproteinase 1 (MMP-1; collagenase 1) in OA chondrocytes...
- Pluronic F-127 as a cell carrier for bone tissue engineeringJean Marc Brunet-Maheu
Orthopaedic Research Laboratory, Department of Orthopaedics, Centre hospitalier Sacré Coeur, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Biomater Appl 24:275-87. 2009..The addition of platelet-rich plasma to the polymer/cell construct leads to increased cell survival. When supplemented with bioactive factors, Pluronic F-127 could potentially be used as a cell carrier in bone tissue engineering...
- Metabolic activity of osteoblasts from periprosthetic trabecular bone in failed total hip arthroplasties and osteoarthritis as markers of osteolysis and looseningQin Shi
Orthopedics Department, Hĵpital Notre Dame, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Rheumatol 29:1437-45. 2002..This study explored whether osteoblast metabolism in trabecular bone of failed total hip replacement (fTHR) in primary osteoarthritis (OA) plays a role in differential failure...
- Chitosan-DNA nanoparticles as non-viral vectors in gene therapy: strategies to improve transfection efficacySania Mansouri
Laboratoire de Recherche en Orthopédie, Hôpital du Sacré Coeur, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 57:1-8. 2004..The objective of this paper was to summarize the state of the art in gene therapy and particularly the use of chitosan to improve the transfection efficiency in vivo and in vitro...
- Synthetic and natural polycations for gene therapy: state of the art and new perspectivesMarcio J Tiera
Orthopedic Research Laboratory, Hôpital du Sacré Caeur de Montréal, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, QC Canada H4J 1C5
Curr Gene Ther 6:59-71. 2006..The objective of this review was to address the state of the art in gene therapy using synthetic and natural polycations and the latest strategies to improve the efficiency of gene transfer into the cell...
- Gene therapy of arthritis and orthopaedic disorders: current experimental approaches in China and in CanadaKe Rong Dai
Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Insititue of Health Sciences, School of Medicine, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 225 South Chongqing Road, Shanghai 200025, China
Expert Opin Biol Ther 8:1337-46. 2008..Gene therapy offers new possibilities for the clinical management of orthopaedic conditions that are difficult to treat by traditional surgical or medical means...