Affiliation: Division of Dermatology
- Gupta A, Bluhm R, Cooper E, Summerbell R, Batra R. Seborrheic dermatitis. Dermatol Clin. 2003;21:401-12 pubmed..The wide range of antifungal formulations available (creams, shampoos, or oral) provides safe, effective, and flexible treatment options for seborrheic dermatitis. ..
- Gupta A, Ryder J, Summerbell R. The diagnosis of nondermatophyte mold onychomycosis. Int J Dermatol. 2003;42:272-3 pubmed
- Gupta A, Cooper E, Ryder J, Nicol K, Chow M, Chaudhry M. Optimal management of fungal infections of the skin, hair, and nails. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2004;5:225-37 pubmed..Terbinafine, itraconazole, and fluconazole are oral antifungals that are effective in the treatment of superficial mycoses. ..
- Gupta A, Drummond Main C, Cooper E, Brintnell W, Piraccini B, Tosti A. Systematic review of nondermatophyte mold onychomycosis: diagnosis, clinical types, epidemiology, and treatment. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2012;66:494-502 pubmed publisher..When evaluating different treatments, we suggest that authors clearly define their efficacy outcomes. ..
- Gupta A, Ryder J, Johnson A. Cumulative meta-analysis of systemic antifungal agents for the treatment of onychomycosis. Br J Dermatol. 2004;150:537-44 pubmed..The efficacy rates of open studies are substantially higher compared with RCTs and may therefore overestimate cure rates. ..
- Gupta A, Batra R, Bluhm R, Faergemann J. Pityriasis versicolor. Dermatol Clin. 2003;21:413-29, v-vi pubmed..Antifungal preparations have been used to treat the initial presentation effectively, although in a proportion of patients the disease tends to reoccur. They are available in a wide range of formulations and have been shown to be safe. ..
- Gupta A, Ahmad I, Summerbell R. Comparative efficacies of commonly used disinfectants and antifungal pharmaceutical spray preparations against dermatophytic fungi. Med Mycol. 2001;39:321-8 pubmed..mentagrophytes strains. Bifonazole (1%) was also fungistatic in its action against T. mentagrophytes. Sodium dodecyl sulphate (0.5%) was largely ineffective against Trichophyton arthroconidia. ..
- Gupta A, Gupta M, Summerbell R, Cooper E, Konnikov N, Albreski D, et al. The epidemiology of onychomycosis: possible role of smoking and peripheral arterial disease. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2000;14:466-9 pubmed..Awareness of these factors may help in the prevention of onychomycosis and the optimal management of this disease. ..
- Gupta A, Taborda P, Taborda V, Gilmour J, Rachlis A, Salit I, et al. Epidemiology and prevalence of onychomycosis in HIV-positive individuals. Int J Dermatol. 2000;39:746-53 pubmed..Onychomycosis can be symptomatic, a source of embarrassment, and a potential cause of morbidity. ..
- Gupta A, Shear N. A risk-benefit assessment of the newer oral antifungal agents used to treat onychomycosis. Drug Saf. 2000;22:33-52 pubmed..The newer antifungal agents are generally well tolerated with drug interactions that are usually predictable. ..
- Gupta A, Kohli Y, Summerbell R, Faergemann J. Quantitative culture of Malassezia species from different body sites of individuals with or without dermatoses. Med Mycol. 2001;39:243-51 pubmed..Among normal individuals and for patients with AD and PV, M. sympodialis was significantly more likely to affect the forehead than the legs. ..
- Gupta A. Ciclopirox topical solution, 8% combined with oral terbinafine to treat onychomycosis: a randomized, evaluator-blinded study. J Drugs Dermatol. 2005;4:481-5 pubmed..The data suggest that combination therapy (PL8) may be an alternative regimen to continuous terbinafine (L12) in the treatment of moderate to severe dermatophyte toenail onychomycosis. ..
- Gupta A, Cooper E. Psoriatic nail disease: quality of life and treatment. J Cutan Med Surg. 2009;13 Suppl 2:S102-6 pubmed..Large-scale, long-term trials using standardized outcome measures are needed to further evaluate biologic therapies for the treatment of nail psoriasis. ..
- Gupta A, Uro M, Cooper E. Onychomycosis therapy: past, present, future. J Drugs Dermatol. 2010;9:1109-13 pubmed..Research in these fields is preliminary, and the impact these methods may have on the future of onychomycosis remains to be seen. ..
- Gupta A, Hofstader S, Adam P, Summerbell R. Tinea capitis: an overview with emphasis on management. Pediatr Dermatol. 1999;16:171-89 pubmed..Adjunctive therapies may help decrease the risk of infection to other individuals. Appropriate measures should be taken to reduce the possibility of reinfection. ..
- Gupta A, Chwetzoff E, Del Rosso J, Baran R. Hepatic safety of itraconazole. J Cutan Med Surg. 2002;6:210-3 pubmed
- Gupta A, Lyons D, Daigle D. Progression of surgical hair restoration techniques. J Cutan Med Surg. 2015;19:17-21 pubmed publisher..However, all SHR techniques are limited by their reliance on existing donor hair to fill balding areas. Further advancements in hair follicle cell cloning and regeneration of growth may offer a solution to this overarching limitation. ..
- Gupta A, Tu L. Dermatophytes: diagnosis and treatment. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2006;54:1050-5 pubmed
- Gupta A, Cherman A, Tyring S. Viral and nonviral uses of imiquimod: a review. J Cutan Med Surg. 2004;8:338-52 pubmed..Side effects are generally well tolerated with local skin reactions reported most frequently. Imiquimod has been shown to be a safe and effective treatment for a variety of skin conditions. ..
- Gupta A, Nicol K, Batra R. Role of antifungal agents in the treatment of seborrheic dermatitis. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2004;5:417-22 pubmed..With a wide availability of preparations, including creams, shampoos, and oral formulations, antifungal agents are safe and effective in the treatment of seborrheic dermatitis. ..
- Gupta A, Simpson F. New pharmacotherapy for the treatment of onychomycosis: an update. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2015;16:227-36 pubmed publisher..New topical agents and device-based therapies expand the therapeutic options. Combination therapy using multiple drug classes may improve the overall efficacy of antifungal treatment in onychomycosis. ..
- Gupta A, Paquet M. Network meta-analysis of the outcome 'participant complete clearance' in nonimmunosuppressed participants of eight interventions for actinic keratosis: a follow-up on a Cochrane review. Br J Dermatol. 2013;169:250-9 pubmed publisher..However, several other factors should also be considered when prescribing a treatment for AK. ..
- Gupta A, Lyons D. The Rise and Fall of Oral Ketoconazole. J Cutan Med Surg. 2015;19:352-7 pubmed publisher..Meanwhile, topical ketoconazole is effective, safe, and widely prescribed for superficial mycoses, particularly as the first-line treatment for tinea versicolor. ..
- Gupta A, Ricci M. Diagnosing onychomycosis. Dermatol Clin. 2006;24:365-9 pubmed..This article discusses the efficacy of the various methods used for the diagnosis of onychomycosis. ..
- Gupta A, Bluhm R. Seborrheic dermatitis. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2004;18:13-26; quiz 19-20 pubmed..In addition, s/he will be aware of the role of Malassezia yeasts in seborrheic dermatitis and the way in which knowledge of the importance of these yeasts has altered the treatment of this disorder. ..
- Gupta A, Daniel C. Onychomycosis: strategies to reduce failure and recurrence. Cutis. 1998;62:189-91 pubmed..We review here some instances in which this is appropriate, as well as strategies to reduce recurrence of onychomycosis. ..
- Gupta A, Kohli Y, Summerbell R. Variation in restriction fragment length polymorphisms among serial isolates from patients with Trichophyton rubrum infection. J Clin Microbiol. 2001;39:3260-6 pubmed..The recovery of multiple strains during the course of sequential sampling of uncured patients further suggests that the typing system is not able to distinguish between relapse or reinfection, ongoing infection, and de novo infection. ..
- Gupta A, Ryder J, Skinner A. Treatment of onychomycosis: pros and cons of antifungal agents. J Cutan Med Surg. 2004;8:25-30 pubmed
- Gupta A, Ahmad I, Borst I, Summerbell R. Detection of xanthomegnin in epidermal materials infected with Trichophyton rubrum. J Invest Dermatol. 2000;115:901-5 pubmed..Xanthomegnin was not detected in uninfected nails. These results show that patients with Trichophyton rubrum infections may be exposed to xanthomegnin, although the consequences of such an exposure are not currently known. ..
- Gupta A, Paquet M. Management of Onychomycosis in Canada in 2014. J Cutan Med Surg. 2015;19:260-73 pubmed publisher..These recommendations can be applied for all ages, immune function, or metabolic status, but proper monitoring and contraindications should be taken into consideration. ..
- Gupta A, Ryder J, Baran R, Summerbell R. Non-dermatophyte onychomycosis. Dermatol Clin. 2003;21:257-68 pubmed..While many patients with non-dermatophyte mold onychomycosis will respond to oral or topical antifungal therapy, poor or incomplete response might still be expected in some patients. ..
- Gupta A, Cooper E, MacDonald P, Summerbell R. Utility of inoculum counting (Walshe and English criteria) in clinical diagnosis of onychomycosis caused by nondermatophytic filamentous fungi. J Clin Microbiol. 2001;39:2115-21 pubmed..It may, nonetheless, provide useful information both to the physician and to the laboratory, and it may be especially valuable when the patient does not present for follow-up sampling. ..
- Gupta A, Carviel J, Abramovits W. Treating Alopecia Areata: Current Practices Versus New Directions. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2017;18:67-75 pubmed publisher..Preliminary data are encouraging, and it is hoped this research will translate into new options for the treatment of AA in the near future. ..
- Shemer A, Gupta A, Amichai B, Baum S, Barzilai A, Farhi R, et al. Increased Risk of Tinea Pedis and Onychomycosis Among Swimming Pool Employees in Netanya Area, Israel. Mycopathologia. 2016;181:851-856 pubmed..More attention to hygienic guidelines and preventative measures may be needed in these settings. ..
- Gupta A, Sibbald R, Andriessen A, Belley R, Boroditsky A, Botros M, et al. Toenail Onychomycosis-A Canadian Approach With a New Transungual Treatment: Development of a Clinical Pathway. J Cutan Med Surg. 2015;19:440-9 pubmed publisher..These guidelines allow healthcare providers and patients to make informed choices about preventing and treating onychomycosis. ..
- ..Each of these tests has individual strengths in satisfying the three criteria, with a minimum of two positive diagnostic tests being the gold standard for confirming all three diagnostic criteria. ..
- Gupta A, Gregurek Novak T. Efficacy of itraconazole, terbinafine, fluconazole, griseofulvin and ketoconazole in the treatment of Scopulariopsis brevicaulis causing onychomycosis of the toes. Dermatology. 2001;202:235-8 pubmed..brevicaulis. Ketoconazole is not recommended for toe onychomycosis given its potential for adverse effects, particularly with the availability of the newer antifungal agents. ..
- Gupta A, Cernea M, Foley K. Improving Cure Rates in Onychomycosis. J Cutan Med Surg. 2016;20:517-531 pubmed
- Gupta A, Gover M, Lynde C. Pulse itraconazole vs. continuous terbinafine for the treatment of dermatophyte toenail onychomycosis in patients with diabetes mellitus. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2006;20:1188-93 pubmed..Both continuous terbinafine and itraconazole pulse therapy are effective and safe in the management of dermatophyte toenail onychomycosis in people with diabetes. ..
- Gupta A, Daigle D, Carviel J. The role of biofilms in onychomycosis. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2016;74:1241-6 pubmed publisher..The biofilm is surprisingly resistant to injury and may act as a persistent source of infection possibly accounting for antifungal resistance in onychomycosis. ..
- Gupta A, Foley K. Antifungal Treatment for Pityriasis Versicolor. J Fungi (Basel). 2015;1:13-29 pubmed publisher..Maintenance, or prophylactic, therapy may be useful in preventing recurrent infection; however, at this time, there is limited research evaluating the efficacy of prophylactic antifungal treatment. ..
- Gupta A, Gregurek Novak T, Konnikov N, Lynde C, Hofstader S, Summerbell R. Itraconazole and terbinafine treatment of some nondermatophyte molds causing onychomycosis of the toes and a review of the literature. J Cutan Med Surg. 2001;5:206-10 pubmed..For the other species, there are fewer data, making it difficult to draw conclusions. ..
- Gupta A, Taborda P, Sanzovo A. Alternate week and combination itraconazole and terbinafine therapy for chromoblastomycosis caused by Fonsecaea pedrosoi in Brazil. Med Mycol. 2002;40:529-34 pubmed..Some success with alternative week therapy was also noted in one patient. The favorable response and lack of significant adverse effects suggests that these regimens may be an option for some patients with chromoblastomycosis...
- Gupta A, Nolting S, De Prost Y, Delescluse J, Degreef H, Theissen U, et al. The use of itraconazole to treat cutaneous fungal infections in children. Dermatology. 1999;199:248-52 pubmed..There is relatively limited data regarding the use of the newer oral antifungal agents, e.g. itraconazole, in the treatment of these mycoses in children...
- Gupta A, Kohli Y, Faergemann J, Summerbell R. Epidemiology of Malassezia yeasts associated with pityriasis versicolor in Ontario, Canada. Med Mycol. 2001;39:199-206 pubmed
- Gupta A, Batra R, Bluhm R, Boekhout T, Dawson T. Skin diseases associated with Malassezia species. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2004;51:785-98 pubmed..It also highlights the importance of individual Malassezia species in the different dermatologic disorders related to these yeasts...
- Gupta A, Simpson F. New therapeutic options for onychomycosis. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2012;13:1131-42 pubmed publisher..New therapeutic options are needed to broaden the spectrum of treatment options and improve the efficacy of treatment...
- Gupta A, Chaudhry M, Elewski B. Tinea corporis, tinea cruris, tinea nigra, and piedra. Dermatol Clin. 2003;21:395-400, v pubmed..Preventative measures of tinea infections include practicing good personal hygiene; keeping the skin dry and cool at all times; and avoiding sharing towels, clothing, or hair accessories with infected individuals...
- Gupta A, Chow M, Daniel C, Aly R. Treatments of tinea pedis. Dermatol Clin. 2003;21:431-62 pubmed..In such instances, systemic antifungal therapy is required to ensure that adequate concentrations of the therapeutic agent are present at the site of infection...
- Gupta A, Dlova N, Taborda P, Morar N, Taborda V, Lynde C, et al. Once weekly fluconazole is effective in children in the treatment of tinea capitis: a prospective, multicentre study. Br J Dermatol. 2000;142:965-8 pubmed..9%) of 17 patients; this was asymptomatic, and reversible. No patient discontinued therapy. The data suggest that once weekly fluconazole dosing is effective, safe and associated with high compliance when used to treat tinea capitis...
- Gupta A, Solomon R, Adam P. Itraconazole oral solution for the treatment of tinea capitis. Br J Dermatol. 1998;139:104-6 pubmed..It remains to be seen whether itraconazole oral solution will become a practical alternative to the antifungal agents available in a liquid preparation for the treatment of tinea capitis...
- Gupta A, Drummond Main C, Paquet M. Evidence-based optimal fluconazole dosing regimen for onychomycosis treatment. J Dermatolog Treat. 2013;24:75-80 pubmed publisher..By restricting the data to dermatophyte onychomycosis, we aimed to identify an optimal fluconazole dosing regimen...
- Gupta A, Summerbell R. Increased incidence of Trichophyton tonsurans tinea capitis in Ontario, Canada between 1985 and 1996. Med Mycol. 1998;36:55-60 pubmed..This should provide guidance regarding where to concentrate health resources and deliver patient/parent education to combat this epidemic of tinea capitis...
- Gupta A, Adam P, Dlova N, Lynde C, Hofstader S, Morar N, et al. Therapeutic options for the treatment of tinea capitis caused by Trichophyton species: griseofulvin versus the new oral antifungal agents, terbinafine, itraconazole, and fluconazole. Pediatr Dermatol. 2001;18:433-8 pubmed..Each of the agents has a favorable adverse-effects profile...
- Gupta A, Bluhm R, Summerbell R. Pityriasis versicolor. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2002;16:19-33 pubmed..The taxonomy of Malassezia spp. has recently been modified to include six obligatorily lipophilic species, all of which can be found on human skin, plus one non-obligatorily lipophilic species, which only rarely colonizes human hosts...
- Gupta A, Cooper E. Update in antifungal therapy of dermatophytosis. Mycopathologia. 2008;166:353-67 pubmed publisher..Relapse of infection remains a problem, particularly with tinea pedis/unguium. Appropriate follow-up duration and education of patients on proper foot hygiene are also important components in providing effective therapy...
- Gupta A, Cooper E, Bowen J. Meta-analysis: griseofulvin efficacy in the treatment of tinea capitis. J Drugs Dermatol. 2008;7:369-72 pubmed..Both genera showed good efficacy with griseofulvin therapy given from 6 to 8 weeks. Griseofulvin remains an effective therapy for tinea capitis...
- Gupta A, Ryder J, Nicol K, Cooper E. Superficial fungal infections: an update on pityriasis versicolor, seborrheic dermatitis, tinea capitis, and onychomycosis. Clin Dermatol. 2003;21:417-25 pubmed..The use of combination therapies in some circumstances to maximize cure rates is reviewed...
- Gupta A, Kohli Y. Prevalence of Malassezia species on various body sites in clinically healthy subjects representing different age groups. Med Mycol. 2004;42:35-42 pubmed..The amount and kind of Malassezia species that can be recovered from human skin varies with age and body site...
- Gupta A, Summerbell R. Tinea capitis. Med Mycol. 2000;38:255-87 pubmed..Both griseofulvin and the newer antimycotics have a favorable adverse-effect profile and are associated with high compliance...
- Gupta A, Nicol K. The use of sulfur in dermatology. J Drugs Dermatol. 2004;3:427-31 pubmed..Sulfur, used alone or in combination with agents such as sodium sulfacetamide or salicylic acid, has demonstrated efficacy in the treatment of many dermatological conditions...