- Gestational diabetes hinders language development in offspringGinette Dionne
Research Unit on Psychosocial Maladjustment in Children, bSchool of Psychology, Laval University, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
Pediatrics 122:e1073-9. 2008..Previous studies have suggested that language is affected in infants of diabetic mothers, yet there have been no systematic investigations to address this question...
- Associations between sleep-wake consolidation and language development in early childhood: a longitudinal twin studyGinette Dionne
Research Unit on Children s Psychosocial Maladjustment, Montreal, Canada
Sleep 34:987-95. 2011..The objectives were (1) to assess associations between sleep consolidation at 6, 18 and 30 months and language skills at 18, 30, and 60 months; and (2) to investigate the genetic/environmental etiology of these associations...
- Gene-environment interplay between peer rejection and depressive behavior in childrenMara Brendgen
Department of Psychology, University of Quebec at Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 50:1009-17. 2009....
- Gene-environment interaction between peer victimization and child aggressionMara Brendgen
Department of Psychology, University of Quebec at Montreal, CP 8888, Succ Centreville, Montreal, Quebec H3C 3P8, Canada
Dev Psychopathol 20:455-71. 2008..Different socialization experiences in girls' compared to boys' peer groups may explain the different pattern of results for girls and boys...
- Linkages between children's and their friends' social and physical aggression: evidence for a gene-environment interaction?Mara Brendgen
Department of Psychology, University of Quebec at Montreal, CP 8888, Succ Centre Ville, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3C 3P8
Child Dev 79:13-29. 2008..Instead, friends' social aggression was directly related to children's social aggression, in addition to genetic effects on this behavior. Theoretical and practical implications of these results are discussed...
- Do other people's plights matter? A genetically informed twin study of the role of social context in the link between peer victimization and children's aggression and depression symptomsMara Brendgen
Department of Psychology, University of Quebec at Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Dev Psychol 49:327-40. 2013..All of these results were independent of children's genetic risk for aggression or depression. Theoretical and practical implications are discussed...
- Evidence of gene-environment correlation for peer difficulties: disruptive behaviors predict early peer relation difficulties in school through genetic effectsMichel Boivin
Ecole de Psychologie, Pavillon Félix Antoine Savard, 2325 rue des Bibliothèques, Universite Laval, Quebec, QC G1V 0A6, Canada
Dev Psychopathol 25:79-92. 2013..These results emphasize the need to adopt an early and persistent prevention framework targeting both the child and the peer context to alleviate the establishment of a negative coercive process and its consequences...
- Gene-environment processes linking aggression, peer victimization, and the teacher-child relationshipMara Brendgen
Department of Psychology, University of Quebec at Montreal, Montreal, QC, Canada
Child Dev 82:2021-36. 2011....
- Daytime cortisol secretion in 6-month-old twins: genetic and environmental contributions as a function of early familial adversityIsabelle Ouellet-Morin
School of Psychology, Universite Laval, Quebec City, Canada
Biol Psychiatry 65:409-16. 2009..The goals of the study were to estimate the genetic and environmental contributions to daytime cortisol secretion in infant twins and to investigate whether these contributions varied as a function of familial adversity (FA)...
- A monozygotic twin difference study of friends' aggression and children's adjustment problemsFrank Vitaro
University of Montreal, Montreal, QC, Canada
Child Dev 82:617-32. 2011..Differences in perceived victimization by the friend also predicted an increase in MZ twins' differences in depressive symptoms. These results support the importance of friendship experiences during early childhood...
- A longitudinal twin study of the genetic and environmental etiology of maternal hostile-reactive behavior during infancy and toddlerhoodNadine Forget-Dubois
Groupe de recherche sur l inadaptation psychosociale chez l enfant, Universite Laval, Quebec, Canada
Infant Behav Dev 30:453-65. 2007..We concluded that children's heritable characteristics evoked maternal negative response at specific times, but were not responsible for the stability of maternal hostility from infancy to toddlerhood...
- Associations of mother's and father's parenting practices with children's observed social reticence in a competitive situation: a monozygotic twin difference studyFanny Alexandra Guimond
Department of Psychology, University of Quebec at Montreal, C P 8888 succursale Centre ville, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H3C 3P8
J Abnorm Child Psychol 40:391-402. 2012..The results from the present study suggest that targeting maladaptive maternal as well as paternal child-rearing practices and psychopathology early on may be useful for reducing later internalizing behavior in the offspring...
- Interactive links between theory of mind, peer victimization, and reactive and proactive aggressionAnnie Renouf
Department of Psychology, University of Quebec at Montreal, CP 8888, Succ Centre Ville, Montreal, QC, Canada
J Abnorm Child Psychol 38:1109-23. 2010..These findings challenge the social skills deficit view of aggression and provide support for a multidimensional perspective of aggressive behavior...
- Variations in heritability of cortisol reactivity to stress as a function of early familial adversity among 19-month-old twinsIsabelle Ouellet-Morin
School of Psychology, Universite Laval, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
Arch Gen Psychiatry 65:211-8. 2008..However, little is known about gene-environment interplay in early cortisol reactivity...
- Maternal self-efficacy and hostile-reactive parenting from infancy to toddlerhoodTamarha Pierce
Laval University, Quebec, Canada G1V 0A6
Infant Behav Dev 33:149-58. 2010..23, p<.0001). Failure to support the expected reciprocal influences between SE and HRP over time, as well as maternal and child contributions to early manifestations of maternal HRP and their evolution are discussed...
- Genetic and environmental influences on daytime and nighttime sleep duration in early childhoodEvelyne Touchette
Center for Advanced Research in Sleep Medicine, Sacre Coeur Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Pediatrics 131:e1874-80. 2013....
- Early child language mediates the relation between home environment and school readinessNadine Forget-Dubois
Universite Laval, Quebec City, QC G1V 0A6, Canada
Child Dev 80:736-49. 2009..These results suggest that home characteristics affect SR in part through their effect on early language skills, and show that this process is mainly environmental rather than genetic in nature...
- Do friends' characteristics moderate the prospective links between peer victimization and reactive and proactive aggression?Véronique Lamarche
Department of Psychology, Universite du Quebec a Montreal, CP 8888, Succ Centre Ville, Montreal, QC, Canada, H3C 3P8
J Abnorm Child Psychol 35:665-80. 2007..The findings are discussed in terms of their theoretical and practical implications for victimized children's risk of displaying reactive and proactive aggressive behaviors...
- The Quebec Newborn Twin Study into adolescence: 15 years laterMichel Boivin
School of Psychology, Universite Laval, Quebec, Canada
Twin Res Hum Genet 16:64-9. 2013..g., family income) features of the child's environment. This detailed longitudinal information makes QNTS uniquely suited for the study of the role of the early years and gene-environment transactions in development...
- A methodological comparison of the Porges algorithm, fast Fourier transform, and autoregressive spectral analysis for the estimation of heart rate variability in 5-month-old infantsNatalia Poliakova
School of Psychology, Laval University, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada CHU de Québec Research Center, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
Psychophysiology 51:579-83. 2014..Additional comparative studies are needed to explore the between-method agreement across a range of physiological conditions. ..
- Gene-environment processes linking peer victimization and physical health problems: a longitudinal twin studyMara Brendgen
Department of Psychology, University of Quebec at Montreal, CP 8888, Succ Centre Ville, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H3C 3P8
J Pediatr Psychol 39:96-108. 2014..This study examined whether (a) a genetic disposition for physical health problems increases the risk of peer victimization and (b) peer victimization interacts with genetic vulnerability in explaining physical health problems...
- Altered patterns of brain activity during transient sadness in children at familial risk for major depressionMélissa L Lévesque
CHU Sainte Justine Research Centre, Montreal, Canada
J Affect Disord 135:410-3. 2011..We used functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to investigate the neural correlates of sadness, the prevailing mood in major depression (MD), in a prospective, well-documented community sample followed since birth...
- Examining genetic and environmental effects on reactive versus proactive aggressionMara Brendgen
Department of Psychology, Universite du Quebec a Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Dev Psychol 42:1299-312. 2006..These specific effects indicate that both reactive and proactive aggression may be influenced mostly by socialization experiences that are specific to each type of aggression and only to a very small degree by specific genes...
- Genetic and environmental etiology of disregard for rulesAmélie Petitclerc
Ecole de Psychologie, Pavillon Félix Antoine Savard, 2325 rue des Bibliothèques, Universite Laval, Quebec, QC, Canada
Behav Genet 41:192-200. 2011....
- Contribution of temporal processing skills to reading comprehension in 8-year-olds: evidence for a mediation effect of phonological awarenessNathalie Malenfant
Groupe de recherche sur l inadaptationpsychosociale chez l enfant, Universite Laval, Quebec, QC, Canada
Child Dev 83:1332-46. 2012..This finding is consistent with a dual-phonological and visual-pathway model of the association between TP and reading in normative reading skills...
- Familiality of heart rate and cardiac-related autonomic activity in five-month-old twins: the Québec newborn twins studyEtienne Dubreuil
Research Unit on Children s Psychosocial Maladjustment GRIP, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Psychophysiology 40:849-62. 2003..Estimates of relative LF and HF HRV were determined by common (familial) and unique environmental factors; familial influences on these estimates did not overlap with familial influences on sleeping HR...
- The genetic-environmental etiology of parents' perceptions and self-assessed behaviours toward their 5-month-old infants in a large twin and singleton sampleMichel Boivin
Universite Laval, Quebec, Canada
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 46:612-30. 2005....
- Physical aggression and language ability from 17 to 72 months: cross-lagged effects in a population sampleLisa Christine Girard
Research Unit on Children s Psychosocial Maladjustment GRIP, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada Paris Sud Innovation Group in Adolescent Mental Health, Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale INSERM U669, Paris, France
PLoS ONE 9:e112185. 2014....
- Genetic and environmental influences on gambling and substance use in early adolescenceFrank Vitaro
University of Montreal, Montreal, QC, Canada
Behav Genet 44:347-55. 2014....
- Genetic evidence for bidirectional effects of early lexical and grammatical developmentGinette Dionne
Ecole de Psychologie, Université Leval, Quebec, QC, Canada
Child Dev 74:394-412. 2003..Crosslagged longitudinal genetic models indicate both lexical and syntactical bootstrapping operate from 2 to 3 years...
- Physical aggression and expressive vocabulary in 19-month-old twinsGinette Dionne
Ecole de Psychologie, Universite Laval, Quebec, Canada
Dev Psychol 39:261-73. 2003..The implications of these results for early prevention of chronic physical aggression are discussed...