Affiliation: Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario
- Standardized Procedural Practices of the Ontario Prenatal Screening Program for aneuploidies and open neural tube defectsNathalie Lepage
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Ottawa and Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Clin Biochem 45:1152-7. 2012..Other screening modalities include first trimester screening, second trimester quad screening, serum integrated screening, and NT-Quad...
- Incomplete pediatric reference intervals for the management of patients with inborn errors of metabolismNathalie Lepage
Division of Biochemistry, Department of Laboratory Medicine, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, 401 Smyth Road, Ottawa ON, Canada, K1H 8LI
Clin Biochem 39:595-9. 2006..To evaluate the status of pediatric reference intervals for several biomarkers of inborn errors of metabolism (IEM)...
- Chronic kidney disease stage in renal transplantation classification using cystatin C and creatinine-based equationsChristine White
Division of Nephrology, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Nephrol Dial Transplant 22:3013-20. 2007..However, creatinine-based equations are inaccurate in RTRs leading to frequent CKD stage misclassification. It is not known whether the classification of CKD stage would be improved using a cystatin C-based estimate of GFR...
- Cystatin-C and beta trace protein as markers of renal function in pregnancyAyub Akbari
Kidney Research Centre, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
BJOG 112:575-8. 2005..To assess the validity of Cystatin-C (Cys-C) and beta trace protein (BTP) as clinical markers of glomerular filtration rate (GFR) in pregnant women...
- Estimating GFR using serum beta trace protein: accuracy and validation in kidney transplant and pediatric populationsChristine A White
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Kidney Int 76:784-91. 2009..These results were an improvement compared to the MDRD and Schwartz equations, both of which had high median bias and reduced accuracy. The updated Schwartz equation also performed well...
- Estimating glomerular filtration rate in kidney transplantation: a comparison between serum creatinine and cystatin C-based methodsChristine White
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Am Soc Nephrol 16:3763-70. 2005..Further prospective studies with repetitive measurement of cystatin C are needed to determine whether cystatin C-based estimates of GFR will be sufficiently accurate to monitor long-term allograft function...
- Measuring glomerular filtration rate with cystatin C and beta-trace protein in children with spina bifidaAnne Pham-Huy
Department of Surgery, Division of Urology, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Urol 169:2312-5. 2003..We compared the diagnostic performance of cystatin C and beta-trace protein with serum creatinine and the Schwartz formula for the estimation of glomerular filtration rate in children with spina bifida...
- Pediatric reference intervals for soluble transferrin receptor and transferrin receptor-ferritin indexCara Lianne Ooi
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital, London Health Science Centre, Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Western Ontario, 800 Commissioners Road East, London, Ontario, N6A 7W9, Canada
World J Pediatr 5:122-6. 2009..Moreover, there is a paucity of data on pediatric reference intervals for sTfR and sTfR-ferritin index...
- Intra-individual variation of cystatin C and creatinine in pediatric solid organ transplant recipientsLudmila Podracka
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Pediatr Transplant 9:28-32. 2005..We therefore conclude that measurement of CysC can be used for longitudinal intra-individual follow-up of renal function post-Tx...
- Should the Schwartz formula for estimation of GFR be replaced by cystatin C formula?Guido Filler
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Nephrology, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, University of Ottawa, K1H 8L1 Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Pediatr Nephrol 18:981-5. 2003..In conclusion, the data suggest that this novel cystatin C-based GFR estimate shows significantly less bias and serves as a better estimate for GFR in children...
- Intraindividual variability of the modified Schwartz and novel CKiD GFR equations in pediatric renal transplant patientsAnne Tsampalieros
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Pediatr Transplant 15:760-5. 2011..34, p = 0.0026). In conclusion, CKiD GFR has a significantly lower intraindividual variation than mSchwartz GFR and may be better suited for longitudinal follow-up of patients post-Tx...
- The impact of interlaboratory differences in cystatin C assay measurement on glomerular filtration rate estimationChristine A White
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 6:2150-6. 2011..This study was designed to examine the differences in CysC and GFR estimation (eGFR) using Siemens' nephelometric immunoassay and the Mayo Clinic equation. The ability of the eGFRs to predict measured GFR was also examined...
- Influence of commonly used drugs on the accuracy of cystatin C-derived glomerular filtration rateJennifer Foster
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario K1H 8L1, Canada
Pediatr Nephrol 21:235-8. 2006..CysC provides accurate data for calculating GFR independent of the drug doses studied and avoids the use of methods of direct GFR measurement...
- Pediatric reference intervals for immunoglobulin G and its subclasses with Siemens immunonephelometric assaysNathalie Lepage
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, Ottawa, Canada
Clin Biochem 43:694-6. 2010..To determine the pediatric reference intervals for the Dade Behring IgG subclass reagents...
- Association between second-trimester isolated high maternal serum maternal serum human chorionic gonadotropin levels and obstetric complications in singleton and twin pregnanciesNathalie Lepage
Division of Biochemistry, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, 401 Smyth Road, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1H 8L1
Am J Obstet Gynecol 188:1354-9. 2003..The purpose of this study was to examine the clinical significance of high maternal serum human chorionic gonadotropin levels in the second trimester in singleton and twin pregnancies within the Ontario maternal serum screening program...
- The Cockcroft-Gault formula should not be used in childrenGuido Filler
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada
Kidney Int 67:2321-4. 2005..Although designed for adults, the Cockcroft-Gault formula was recently proposed for use in children > or =13 years of age...
- Adding sirolimus to tacrolimus-based immunosuppression in pediatric renal transplant recipients reduces tacrolimus exposureGuido Filler
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Pediatric Nephrology, Children s Hospital of Easter Ontario, University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Am J Transplant 5:2005-10. 2005..93). Adding SIR to TAC-based immunosuppression in young pediatric renal transplant recipients results in a significant decrease of TAC exposure. TAC trough levels should be monitored frequently...
- Reference intervals for anion gap and strong ion difference in pregnancy: a pilot studyAyub Akbari
Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Hypertens Pregnancy 26:111-9. 2007..Acid-base status and electrolyte levels change in normal pregnancy. We hypothesized that these physiological changes affect both anion gap and strong ion difference (SID)...
- To what extent does the understanding of pharmacokinetics of mycophenolate mofetil influence its prescriptionGuido Filler
Division of Pediatric Nephrology, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, Ottawa University, 401 Smyth Road, K1H 8L1, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Pediatr Nephrol 19:962-5. 2004..More work is required to establish specific target ranges with the various drug combinations--especially for the pediatric population...
- Measurement of plasma/serum acylcarnitines using tandem mass spectrometryNathalie Lepage
Biochemical Genetics Laboratory, Department of Genetics, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Methods Mol Biol 603:9-25. 2010..We describe a method for the analysis of acylcarnitines in plasma or serum samples using electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometry...
- Beta-trace protein, cystatin C, beta(2)-microglobulin, and creatinine compared for detecting impaired glomerular filtration rates in childrenGuido Filler
Departments of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, Ottawa, Ontario, K1H 8L1 Canada
Clin Chem 48:729-36. 2002....
- Pharmacokinetics of mycophenolate mofetil for autoimmune disease in childrenGuido Filler
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Nephrology, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, University of Ottawa, 401 Smyth Road, K1H 8L1, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Pediatr Nephrol 18:445-9. 2003..There were few side effects: one episode each of diarrhea and leukocytopenia and two viral infections. We conclude that MMF at 900 mg/m(2) per day appears to be effective in these patients...
- A novel equation to estimate glomerular filtration rate using beta-trace proteinChristine A White
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Queen s University, Kingston, Canada
Clin Chem 53:1965-8. 2007..The utility of BTP has been limited by the lack of an equation to translate BTP into an estimate of GFR. The objectives of this study were to develop a BTP-based GFR estimation equation...
- Outcome validation of the Beckman Coulter access analyzer in a second-trimester Down syndrome serum screening applicationAndrew R MacRae
The Research Institute at Lakeridge Health Inc, 850 Champlain Ave, Oshawa, Ontario, L1J 8R2 Canada
Clin Chem 49:69-76. 2003..New immunoassays must generate similar distribution parameters if the accuracy of assigned risks and overall performance of prenatal screening are to be maintained...
- Cystatin C intrapatient variability in children with chronic kidney disease is less than serum creatinineAarathi S Sambasivan
Clin Chem 51:2215-6. 2005
- Pediatric reference intervals for lipids and apolipoproteins on the VITROS 5,1 FS Chemistry SystemPaul M Yip
Division of Clinical Biochemistry, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON, Canada M5G 1X8
Clin Biochem 39:978-83. 2006..A comprehensive set of pediatric reference intervals for traditional or recently established lipid analytes is not currently available...