W James King
Affiliation: Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario
- The effect of Kawasaki disease on cognition and behaviorW J King
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, Univeristy of Ottawa, Canada
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 154:463-8. 2000..To determine whether there are associated long-term deficits in the cognitive, academic, or behavioral outcomes of children with a previous episode of Kawasaki disease...
- Effect of point of care information on inpatient management of bronchiolitisW James King
Department of Pediatrics, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
BMC Pediatr 7:4. 2007..We studied the effects of access to point-of-care medical evidence in a computerised physician order entry system (CPOE) on management and clinical outcome of children with bronchiolitis...
- Should bodychecking be allowed in minor hockey?W James King
Division of Pediatric Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, Ottawa, Ont
CMAJ 175:163. 2006
- Long term effects of a home visit to prevent childhood injury: three year follow up of a randomized trialW J King
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario Research Institute, University of Ottawa, Ontario K1H 8L1, Canada
Inj Prev 11:106-9. 2005..To assess the long term effect of a home safety visit on the rate of home injury...
- The effect of computerized physician order entry on medication errors and adverse drug events in pediatric inpatientsW James King
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Pediatrics 112:506-9. 2003..Computerized physician order entry (CPOE) has the potential to reduce patient injury resulting from medication errors. We assessed the impact of a CPOE system on medication errors and adverse drug events (ADEs) in pediatric inpatients...
- The effectiveness of a home visit to prevent childhood injuryW J King
Department of Pediatrics and Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario Research Institute, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Pediatrics 108:382-8. 2001..We examined the effects of the program on 1) parental injury awareness and knowledge; 2) the extent that families used home safety measures; 3) the rate of injury; and 4) the cost effectiveness of the intervention...
- Neuronal apoptosis inhibitory protein expression after traumatic brain injury in the mouseJ S Hutchison
Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Neurotrauma 18:1333-47. 2001..These findings have implications in our understanding of traumatically induced programmed cell death and may be useful in the configuration of therapies for this common injury state...
- The helpful or hindering effects of in-hospital patient monitor alarms on nurses: a qualitative analysisLara Varpio
Academy for Innovation in Medical Education, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Comput Inform Nurs 30:210-7. 2012..Paradoxically, alarms prompted nurses to regularly consider and interpret patient information. We suggest the interpretive work associated with workarounds may hold benefits mitigating the potential harms of ignoring alarms...
- Child protection: a neglected area of pediatric residency trainingMichelle G K Ward
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, University of Ottawa, 401 Smyth Road, Ottawa, Ont, Canada
Child Abuse Negl 28:1113-22. 2004..Physician knowledge and training in child protection have been questioned. This study examined the experience, perceived adequacy of training, and perceived competency of Canadian pediatric residents in child protection...
- Administration of the adjuvanted pH1N1 vaccine in egg-allergic children at high risk for influenza A/H1N1 diseaseJane E Schuler
Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON
Can J Public Health 102:196-9. 2011..The pH1N1 vaccine, which contains residual allergenic egg white proteins, may pose a risk for vaccination of egg-allergic children...
- Shaken baby syndrome in Canada: clinical characteristics and outcomes of hospital casesW James King
Department of Pediatrics and the Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario Research Institute, University of Ottawa, ON
CMAJ 168:155-9. 2003..Our objective was to describe, from a national perspective, the clinical characteristics and outcome of children admitted to hospital with shaken baby syndrome...
- Home safety measures and the risk of unintentional injury among young children: a multicentre case-control studyJohn C LeBlanc
IWK Health Centre and the Department of Pediatrics, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS
CMAJ 175:883-7. 2006....