Affiliation: Centre for Addiction and Mental Health
- Physicians as managers: psychiatry residents' perceived gaps in knowledge and skills in administrative psychiatrySanjeev Sockalingam
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Acad Psychiatry 31:304-7. 2007..The authors determine psychiatry residents' perceived needs and educational preferences for a physician-manager curriculum...
- Clozapine-induced hypersalivation: a review of treatment strategiesSanjeev Sockalingam
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Ontario
Can J Psychiatry 52:377-84. 2007..The purpose of this review is to provide an understanding of CIH, specifically, its pathophysiology, measurement, and the evidence for CIH treatment alternatives...
- Teaching the physician-manager role to psychiatric residents: development and implementation of a pilot curriculumVicky Stergiopoulos
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Ontario M5B 1W8, Canada
Acad Psychiatry 33:125-30. 2009..The authors describe a pilot physician-manager curriculum designed to address the learning needs of psychiatric residents in administrative psychiatry and health systems...
- Teaching and learning the physician manager role: psychiatry residents' perspectivesVicky Stergiopoulos
University of Toronto, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Med Teach 32:e308-14. 2010....
- The role of attachment style and depression in patients with hepatitis CSanjeev Sockalingam
Department of Psychiatry, Program in Medical Psychiatry, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
J Clin Psychol Med Settings 20:227-33. 2013..Screening of relationship styles may identify at-risk HCV-infected individuals for depression who may have difficulty engaging in care and managing physical symptoms...
- (Dis)orientation of international medical graduates: an approach to foster teaching, learning, and collaboration (TLC)Adrienne Tan
Dept of Psychiatry, University Health Network and Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Acad Psychiatry 37:104-7. 2013..This program was adopted to address the professional and personal challenges faced by International Medical Graduates (IMGs) completing a fellowship in psychosomatic medicine...
- Evaluating psychiatry residents as physician-managers: development of an assessment toolSanjeev Sockalingam
Dept of Psychiatry, University of Toronto the Dept of Psychiatry, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Acad Psychiatry 37:11-7. 2013..The aim of this study was to determine psychiatry residents', program directors', and PM educators' perceptions about PM role-assessment...
- A novel program for treating patients with trimorbidity: hepatitis C, serious mental illness, and active substance useSanjeev Sockalingam
aMedical Psychiatry Program, University Health Network, Toronto General Hospital Departments of bPsychiatry cPsychology dMedicine, University of Toronto eSouth Riverdale Community Health Centre fToronto East General Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 25:1377-84. 2013..This is especially problematic given the disproportionately high rates of both mental health issues and substance use among individuals living with HCV...
- Residents' perceived physician-manager educational needs: a national survey of psychiatry residentsSanjeev Sockalingam
Medical and Surgical Psychiatry Program, University Health Network, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, Ontario
Can J Psychiatry 53:745-52. 2008..To determine Canadian psychiatry residents' perceived gaps in physician-manager competencies during their residency training...
- Determining rates of hepatitis C in a clozapine treated cohortSanjeev Sockalingam
Psychiatry, Health and Disease Division, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Schizophr Res 124:86-90. 2010..To determine the prevalence rates of hepatitis C in patients with schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder being treated with clozapine...
- Managing depression during hepatitis C treatmentSanjeev Sockalingam
Program in Medical Psychiatry, Toronto General Hospital, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario
Can J Psychiatry 54:614-25. 2009..We summarize the risk factors for interferon-alpha-induced major depressive disorder (IFN-alpha-MDD) in HCV patients and the evidence for antidepressant prophylaxis and symptomatic antidepressant treatment of depression...
- Implementing a new physician manager curriculum into a psychiatry residency training program: the change process, barriers and facilitatorsJulie D Maggi
University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Psychiatr Q 79:21-31. 2008..Additionally, the article focuses on the role of the psychiatrist in the process...
- Treatment of clozapine-induced hypersalivation with ipratropium bromide: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled crossover studySanjeev Sockalingam
University Health Network, Toronto General Hospital 8EN 225, 200 Elizabeth St, Toronto, Ontario M5G 2C4, Canada
J Clin Psychiatry 70:1114-9. 2009..Previous open-label studies suggest that sublingual ipratropium bromide may be effective in treating CIH...
- Predictors of post-bariatric surgery appointment attendance: the role of relationship styleSanjeev Sockalingam
Bariatric Surgery Program, Toronto Western Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada
Obes Surg 23:2026-32. 2013..Attendance at bariatric surgery follow-up appointments has been associated with bariatric surgery outcomes. In this prospective study, we sought to examine psychosocial predictors of attendance at post-operative follow-up appointments...
- Preparing international medical graduates for psychiatry residency: a multi-site needs assessmentSanjeev Sockalingam
Dept of Psychiatry, University Health Network and University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Acad Psychiatry 36:277-81. 2012..Therefore, the authors conducted a needs-assessment survey to determine the needs of IMGs transitioning into psychiatry residency...
- Psychometric properties of the Patient Health Questionnaire (PHQ-9) as a depression screening tool for bariatric surgery candidatesStephanie Cassin
Department of Psychology, Ryerson University, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Psychosomatics 54:352-8. 2013..Given the potential implications of depression on surgery outcomes, presurgery psychiatric assessment is recommended to assess suitability for bariatric surgery...
- Interprofessional education for delirium care: a systematic reviewSanjeev Sockalingam
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Interprof Care 28:345-51. 2014..Our review of the limited evidence suggests that IPE programs may influence team and patient outcomes in delirium care. More systematic studies of the effectiveness of interprofessional delirium education interventions are needed. ..
- Body contouring surgery after bariatric surgery: a study of cost as a barrier and impact on psychological well-beingArash Azin
Toronto, Ontario, Canada From the Faculty of Medicine, Division of General Surgery, University Health Network, the Departments of Surgery and Psychiatry, University of Toronto the Department of Psychology, Ryerson University and the Toronto Western Hospital Bariatric Surgery Psychosocial Program
Plast Reconstr Surg 133:776e-782e. 2014..This study aims to examine barriers to access and to compare socioeconomic variables and psychological variables between bariatric surgery patients who have undergone body contouring and those who have not...
- Psychiatric treatment considerations with direct acting antivirals in hepatitis CSanjeev Sockalingam
University Health Network, Program in Medical Psychiatry, Toronto General Hospital, 200 Elizabeth Street 8EN 228, Toronto, ON M5G 2C4, Canada
BMC Gastroenterol 13:86. 2013..This paper provides a review of the neuropsychiatric adverse effects of DAAs and drug-drug interactions (DDIs) between DAAs and psychiatric medications...
- Evaluation of professional role competency during psychiatry residencyNikola N Grujich
Dept of Psychiatry, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Acad Psychiatry 36:126-8. 2012..The authors sought to determine psychiatry residents' perceptions on the current method of evaluating professional role competency and the use of multi-source feedback (MSF) as an assessment tool...
- A comparison of depression screening instruments in hepatitis C and the impact of depression on somatic symptomsSanjeev Sockalingam
University Health Network, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, ON M5G2C4, Canada
Psychosomatics 52:433-40. 2011....
- Psychosomatic medicine and psychiatry residents: a pan-Canadian surveyTuong Vi Nguyen
Department of Psychiatry, McGill University, 1033 Pine Avenue West, Montreal, QC, Canada
Psychosomatics 52:354-61. 2011..Due to the unclear status of PM in Canada, a national survey was designed to assess the perception of and training experiences in PM among psychiatry residents...
- A pilot study in suicide intervention training using a group intervention for patients with recurrent suicide attemptsSanjeev Sockalingam
Department of Psychiatry, University Health Network and University of Toronto, Psychiatry, Toronto, Ontario, M5G 2C4, Canada
Acad Psychiatry 34:132-5. 2010..This article describes psychiatric trainees' reflections regarding their participation in a psychosocial/psychoeducational group intervention for individuals with recurrent suicide attempts...
- Identifying opportunities to improve management of autoimmune hepatitis: evaluation of drug adherence and psychosocial factorsSanjeev Sockalingam
University Health Network, Program in Medical Psychiatry, Canada
J Hepatol 57:1299-304. 2012..We sought to determine the association between anxiety, depressive symptoms, and avoidant relationship style on self-reported immunosuppressant medication adherence and treatment response in patients with AIH...
- Use of animal-assisted therapy in the rehabilitation of an assault victim with a concurrent mood disorderSanjeev Sockalingam
Medical Psychiatry Service, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Issues Ment Health Nurs 29:73-84. 2008..A review of the relevant literature highlights the therapeutic potential of animal-assisted therapy to restore and maintain patient independence and level of functioning, both of which are key treatment goals...
- A review of sleep disturbance in hepatitis CSanjeev Sockalingam
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
J Clin Gastroenterol 44:38-45. 2010..Further research is needed to elucidate the efficacy of pharmacological and nonpharmacological treatments of sleep disorders in CHC patients...
- Managing the neuropsychiatric complications of hepatitis C treatmentSanjeev Sockalingam
Department of Psychiatry, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, ON
Br J Hosp Med (Lond) 68:520-5. 2007..This article reviews the management of neuropsychiatric adverse effects and the risks of interferon-alpha treatment to psychiatric patients...
- Family types in the neurotrauma intensive care unitIsaac I Bogoch
Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Crit Care 14:283-4. 2005
- Persistent psychosis after treatment with interferon alpha: a case reportDavid Telio
J Clin Psychopharmacol 26:446-7. 2006