Affiliation: Centre for Addiction and Mental Health
- Determinants of depression among Ethiopian immigrants and refugees in TorontoHaile Fenta
Culture, Community, and Health Studies, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Nerv Ment Dis 192:363-72. 2004..The implication of the overall finding is that there is a need to develop mental health intervention programs, particularly for people who have experienced premigration trauma, refugee camp internment, and postmigration stresses...
- Mental health service utilization by Ethiopian immigrants and refugees in TorontoHaile Fenta
Culture, Community, and Health Studies, Center for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Nerv Ment Dis 194:925-34. 2006..It would seem that family physicians could play important role in identifying and treating Ethiopian clients with somatic symptoms, as these symptoms may reflect mental disorder...
- Health service utilization by Ethiopian immigrants and refugees in TorontoHaile Fenta
Social Equity and Health Research, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, ON, Canada
J Immigr Minor Health 9:349-57. 2007..Further research is necessary to determine the reasons for the low rates of mental health services use in this population...
- Depressive symptoms, stress and resources among adult immigrants living with HIVMarianne S Noh
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Social Equity and Health Research, Toronto, Canada
J Immigr Minor Health 14:405-12. 2012..Although more research is needed to understand mental health among HIV-positive immigrants, the study results suggest that health care providers focus on self-mastery enhancement among HIV-positive immigrants...
- Mastery and coping moderate the negative effect of acute and chronic stressors on mental health-related quality of life in HIVKatherine Gibson
The Ontario HIV Treatment Network, Toronto, Canada
AIDS Patient Care STDS 25:371-81. 2011..They also highlight that it is important for clinicians to be mindful of the impact of life stressors on the health of patients living with HIV...
- Immigrant parents' perceptions of school environment and children's mental health and behaviorHayley A Hamilton
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, University of Toronto, 455 Spadina Ave, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Sch Health 81:313-9. 2011..This study examined the relationship between parents' perceptions of school environment and children's emotional and behavioral problems...
- Impact of social support on cognitive symptom burden in HIV/AIDSJana H Atkins
Neurobehavioural Research Unit, Mental Health Service, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada
AIDS Care 22:793-802. 2010..Further research should examine the potential role of social support interventions in modifying the effects of both depression and neuropsychological status on cognitive symptom burden...