Affiliation: Centre for Addiction and Mental Health
- Needs-based planning: evaluation of a level-of-care planning modelJ Durbin
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Health Systems Research and Consulting Unit, 250 College Street, 4th Floor, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5T 1R8
J Behav Health Serv Res 28:67-80. 2001..Evidence supports concurrent validity of the planning model, but further work is needed to assess whether recommended levels of care effectively meet consumer needs in the least restrictive setting...
- Quality of communication between primary health care and mental health care: an examination of referral and discharge lettersJanet Durbin
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
J Behav Health Serv Res 39:445-61. 2012..Then, methodologies for measuring data quality, including electronically generated performance metrics, can be developed...
- Is readmission a valid indicator of the quality of inpatient psychiatric care?Janet Durbin
Health Systems Research and Consulting Unit, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, University of Toronto, 33 Russell Street, T310, Toronto, ON, M5S 2S1, Canada
J Behav Health Serv Res 34:137-50. 2007....
- Needs-based planning for persons with schizophrenia residing in board-and-care homesJanet Durbin
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Ontario
Schizophr Bull 30:123-32. 2004..Despite a common diagnosis, many can function in more independent settings, while others need more treatment and rehabilitation than they are currently provided...
- Continuity of care: validation of a new self-report measure for individuals using mental health servicesJanet Durbin
Health Systems Research and Consulting Unit, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Behav Health Serv Res 31:279-96. 2004..The tool holds promise for system monitoring, but would need refinements to create a shorter, conceptually clearer version. Also, performance among individuals with mild and very severe levels of mental illness needs to be evaluated...
- Program structure and continuity of mental health careJanet Durbin
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Can J Nurs Res 36:12-37. 2004..The association between each of the other 7 program features and continuity was not significant. Possible explanations for this finding are explored...
- Does systems integration affect continuity of mental health care?Janet Durbin
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Adm Policy Ment Health 33:705-17. 2006..Future research should evaluate a wider range of systems integrating mechanisms, using client-based measures that more directly represent continuity of care experiences...
- Who uses consumer-run self-help organizations?Paula Goering
University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Am J Orthopsychiatry 76:367-73. 2006..There is little overlap in the use of these modes of service delivery, which suggests that maintaining options within systems of care is critical to ensuring coverage and access for the broader population...
- Gender differences in psychiatric diagnoses among inpatients with and without intellectual disabilitiesYona Lunsky
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Intellect Dev Disabil 114:52-60. 2009..Gender issues should receive greater attention in intellectual disabilities inpatient care...
- The association between income source and met need among community mental health service users in Ontario, CanadaAnna Durbin
Health Policy, Management, and Evaluation, University of Toronto, Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences, 4th Floor, 155 College St, Toronto, ON, Canada
Community Ment Health J 48:662-72. 2012..The finding that among users of community mental health services, individuals with public assistance income support are most vulnerable to being severely underserved should be considered by service planners and providers...
- The clinical profile and service needs of hospitalized adults with mental retardation and a psychiatric diagnosisYona Lunsky
Dual Disorders Program, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, 1001 Queen Street West, Unit 4 4, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M6J 1H4
Psychiatr Serv 57:77-83. 2006....
- Support for the construct validity of the Supports Intensity Scale based on clinician rankings of needJonathan A Weiss
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Res Dev Disabil 30:933-41. 2009..These results suggest that the SIS provides valid information regarding the needs of individuals with intellectual disability receiving services...
- Participant perspectives on satisfaction with assertive community treatmentCristina Redko
Health Systems Research and Consulting Unit, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Psychiatr Rehabil J 27:283-6. 2004..Participants particularly used the opportunity of answering open-ended questions to express feelings about their relationships with the team workers...
- System-wide implementation of ACT in Ontario: an ongoing improvement effortLindsey George
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioural Neurosciences, Mental Health Rehabilitation Services, Brant Assertive Community Treatment Team, Brantford, ON, Canada
J Behav Health Serv Res 36:309-19. 2009..While these corrective responses are promising, implementation of infrastructure and mechanisms for providing systematic practice feedback is still underdeveloped...
- Assessing the mental health service needs of the homeless: a level-of-care approachVicky Stergiopoulos
Inner City Health Associates, Centre for Research on Inner City Health, Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada
J Health Care Poor Underserved 21:1031-45. 2010..A level-of-care needs assessment was undertaken at Ontario's largest shelter to establish homeless clients' mental health service needs and identify service gaps...
- Examining patient race and area predictors of inpatient admission for schizophrenia among hospital users in CaliforniaAnna Durbin
Faculty of Medicine, Institute of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
J Immigr Minor Health 16:1025-34. 2014..Future studies may want to include a broader range of health services to better understand patterns of care use among individuals with schizophrenia. ..
- Mental health program monitoring: towards simplifying a complex taskJanet Durbin
Health Systems Research and Consulting Unit, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, and Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Ontario
Psychiatr Rehabil J 26:249-61. 2003..These can provide a core of information, to which measurement of more in-depth issues can be added to address specific concerns...
- Medical clearance in the psychiatric emergency setting: a call for more standardizationTanya Pinto
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
Healthc Q 13:77-82. 2010..To improve standardization, a physical examination form is proposed that is user friendly and based on a review of current literature...
- Patient and contextual factors related to the decision to hospitalize patients from emergency psychiatric servicesLindsey George
Hamilton Assertive Community Treatment Team, St George s Healthcare, 401 370 Main Street East, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8N 1J6
Psychiatr Serv 53:1586-91. 2002....