Kenneth B Storey
Affiliation: Carleton University
- Wu C, Biggar K, Zhang J, Tessier S, Pifferi F, Perret M, et al. Induction of Antioxidant and Heat Shock Protein Responses During Torpor in the Gray Mouse Lemur, Microcebus murinus. Genomics Proteomics Bioinformatics. 2015;13:119-26 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, our data also show that cytoprotective strategies employed during primate torpor are distinct from the strategies in rodent hibernation as reported in previous studies. ..
- Tessier S, Katzenback B, Pifferi F, Perret M, Storey K. Cytokine and Antioxidant Regulation in the Intestine of the Gray Mouse Lemur (Microcebus murinus) During Torpor. Genomics Proteomics Bioinformatics. 2015;13:127-35 pubmed publisher..These data suggest a suppression of the immune response, likely as an energy conservation measure, and a limited role of antioxidant defenses in supporting torpor in lemur intestine. ..
- Biggar K, Storey K. Low-temperature microRNA expression in the painted turtle, Chrysemys picta during freezing stress. FEBS Lett. 2015;589:3665-70 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, two freeze-responsive 'cryo-miRs' (cpm-miR-16 and cpm-miR-21) were found to have unique low-temperature mRNA targets enriched in biological processes that are known to be part of the stress response. ..
- Rouble A, Storey K. Characterization of the SIRT family of NAD+-dependent protein deacetylases in the context of a mammalian model of hibernation, the thirteen-lined ground squirrel. Cryobiology. 2015;71:334-43 pubmed publisher..These results provide evidence to suggest a possible role for the SIRT family of protein deacetylases in the regulation of the metabolic and cellular protective pathways that mediate the process of mammalian hibernation. ..
- Wu C, Bell R, Storey K. Post-translational regulation of PTEN catalytic function and protein stability in the hibernating 13-lined ground squirrel. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2015;1850:2196-202 pubmed publisher..Phosphorylation plays an important role in the regulation of PTEN enzymatic activity and protein stability. Activation of PTEN during torpor can regulate insulin signaling during periods of low energy state. ..
- Biggar K, Wu C, Tessier S, Zhang J, Pifferi F, Perret M, et al. Primate Torpor: Regulation of Stress-activated Protein Kinases During Daily Torpor in the Gray Mouse Lemur, Microcebus murinus. Genomics Proteomics Bioinformatics. 2015;13:81-90 pubmed publisher..Overall, these data indicate crucial roles of MAPKs in the regulation of primate organs during torpor. ..
- Wu C, Biggar K, Storey K. Expression profiling and structural characterization of microRNAs in adipose tissues of hibernating ground squirrels. Genomics Proteomics Bioinformatics. 2014;12:284-91 pubmed publisher..Overall, our findings suggest that changes of miRNA expression in adipose tissues may be linked to distinct biological roles in WAT and BAT during hibernation and may involve the regulation of signaling cascades. ..
- Biggar K, Storey K. Insight into post-transcriptional gene regulation: stress-responsive microRNAs and their role in the environmental stress survival of tolerant animals. J Exp Biol. 2015;218:1281-9 pubmed publisher..As we are on the verge of dissecting the roles of non-coding RNA in environmental stress adaptation, this Commentary summarizes the hallmark alterations in microRNA expression that facilitate stress survival. ..
- Storey K. Regulation of hypometabolism: insights into epigenetic controls. J Exp Biol. 2015;218:150-9 pubmed publisher..g. protein acetylation) are now proving to apply to many central metabolic enzymes (e.g. lactate dehydrogenase), suggesting a new layer of regulatory control that can contribute to coordinating the depression of metabolic rate. ..
- Luu B, Storey K. Dehydration triggers differential microRNA expression in Xenopus laevis brain. Gene. 2015;573:64-9 pubmed publisher..This suggests that similar actions may be triggered in X. laevis brains as a protective response to dehydration. ..
- Bansal S, Luu B, Storey K. MicroRNA regulation in heart and skeletal muscle over the freeze-thaw cycle in the freeze tolerant wood frog. J Comp Physiol B. 2016;186:229-41 pubmed publisher..2.0) predicted that the differentially expressed microRNAs may collectively regulate tissue-specific cellular pathways to promote survival of wood frogs undergoing freezing and thawing. ..
- Tessier S, Zhang J, Biggar K, Wu C, Pifferi F, Perret M, et al. Regulation of the PI3K/AKT Pathway and Fuel Utilization During Primate Torpor in the Gray Mouse Lemur, Microcebus murinus. Genomics Proteomics Bioinformatics. 2015;13:91-102 pubmed publisher..Information gained from these studies highlight the molecular controls that help to regulate metabolic rate depression and balance energetics during primate torpor. ..
- Zhang J, Tessier S, Biggar K, Wu C, Pifferi F, Perret M, et al. Regulation of Torpor in the Gray Mouse Lemur: Transcriptional and Translational Controls and Role of AMPK Signaling. Genomics Proteomics Bioinformatics. 2015;13:103-10 pubmed publisher..Overall, our study demonstrates that AMPK signaling and posttranslational regulation of selected proteins may play crucial roles in the control of transcription/translation during daily torpor in mouse lemurs. ..
- Luu B, Biggar K, Wu C, Storey K. Torpor-responsive expression of novel microRNA regulating metabolism and other cellular pathways in the thirteen-lined ground squirrel, Ictidomys tridecemlineatus. FEBS Lett. 2016;590:3574-3582 pubmed publisher..This study provides an analysis of several novel microRNA that may be crucial to adaptation during hibernation. ..
- Green S, Storey K. Regulation of crayfish, Orconectes virilis, tail muscle lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) in response to anoxic conditions is associated with alterations in phosphorylation patterns. Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol. 2016;202:67-74 pubmed publisher..This study provides evidence for anoxia-induced modifications of crayfish muscle LDH that may contribute significantly to modulating enzyme function under anoxic conditions. ..
- Logan S, Storey K. Tissue-specific response of carbohydrate-responsive element binding protein (ChREBP) to mammalian hibernation in 13-lined ground squirrels. Cryobiology. 2016;73:103-11 pubmed publisher..In summary, ChREBP has a tissue-specific role in regulating energy metabolism during hibernation. ..
- Logan S, Luu B, Storey K. Turn down genes for WAT? Activation of anti-apoptosis pathways protects white adipose tissue in metabolically depressed thirteen-lined ground squirrels. Mol Cell Biochem. 2016;416:47-62 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that an increase in WAT cytoprotective mechanisms supports survival efforts during hibernation. ..
- Tessier S, Luu B, Smith J, Storey K. The role of global histone post-translational modifications during mammalian hibernation. Cryobiology. 2017;75:28-36 pubmed publisher..The present study provides a new glimpse into the epigenetic mechanisms which may play a role in transcriptional regulation during mammalian hibernation. ..
- Hawkins L, Storey K. Histone methylation in the freeze-tolerant wood frog (Rana sylvatica). J Comp Physiol B. 2018;188:113-125 pubmed publisher..Overall, these results provide an evidence for the potential role methylation of histones and non-histone proteins play in freezing survival and entrance into a hypometabolic state. ..
- Wu C, Biggar K, Luu B, Szereszewski K, Storey K. Analysis of microRNA expression during the torpor-arousal cycle of a mammalian hibernator, the 13-lined ground squirrel. Physiol Genomics. 2016;48:388-96 pubmed publisher..These findings implicate microRNAs in the regulation of both tissue-specific processes and general suppression of cell growth during hibernation. ..
- Ruberto A, Childers C, Storey K. Purification and properties of glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase from the liver of the hibernating ground squirrel, Urocitellus richardsonii. Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol. 2016;202:48-55 pubmed publisher..The structural and functional changes in G3PDH support the enzyme's function at a low core body temperature experienced during the species hibernating season. ..
- Storey K, Storey J. Molecular biology of freezing tolerance. Compr Physiol. 2013;3:1283-308 pubmed publisher..These help to remodel metabolism to preserve core functions while suppressing energy expensive metabolic activities such as the cell cycle. All of these advances are providing a much more complete picture of life in the frozen state. ..
- Aguilar O, Hadj Moussa H, Storey K. Regulation of SMAD transcription factors during freezing in the freeze tolerant wood frog, Rana sylvatica. Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol. 2016;201:64-71 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a novel freeze-responsive activation of Smad proteins that may play an important role in coordinating pro-survival gene networks necessary for freeze tolerance. ..
- Aguilar O, Hadj Moussa H, Storey K. Freeze-responsive regulation of MEF2 proteins and downstream gene networks in muscles of the wood frog, Rana sylvatica. J Therm Biol. 2017;67:1-8 pubmed publisher..This novel freeze-responsive regulation suggests a role for MEF2s and downstream genes in cryoprotectant glucose distribution, calcium homeostasis, and maintenance of energy reserves vital for successful freeze tolerance. ..
- Childers C, Storey K. Post-translational Regulation of Hexokinase Function and Protein Stability in the Aestivating Frog Xenopus laevis. Protein J. 2016;35:61-71 pubmed publisher..Augmented HK function increases the ability of Xenopus to overcome compromised oxidative phosphorylation associated with ischemia during dehydration. ..
- Logan S, Tessier S, Tye J, Storey K. Response of the JAK-STAT pathway to mammalian hibernation in 13-lined ground squirrel striated muscle. Mol Cell Biochem. 2016;414:115-27 pubmed publisher..Overall, these results indicate activation of the JAK-STAT pathway in both cardiac and skeletal muscles, suggesting a response to cellular stress during hibernation. ..
- Childers C, Green S, Dawson N, Storey K. Native denaturation differential scanning fluorimetry: Determining the effect of urea using a quantitative real-time thermocycler. Anal Biochem. 2016;508:114-7 pubmed publisher..This demonstrates that DSF methods can determine the structural stability of an enzyme's active site and can compare the relative structural stability of homologous enzymes with a high degree of sequence similarity. ..
- Adamson K, Wang T, Zhao M, Bell F, Kuballa A, Storey K, et al. Molecular insights into land snail neuropeptides through transcriptome and comparative gene analysis. BMC Genomics. 2015;16:308 pubmed publisher..This information has the potential to expedite the study of molluscan metabolism and potentially stimulate advances in the biological control of land snail pest species. ..
- Dawson N, Katzenback B, Storey K. Free-radical first responders: the characterization of CuZnSOD and MnSOD regulation during freezing of the freeze-tolerant North American wood frog, Rana sylvatica. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2015;1850:97-106 pubmed publisher..The physiological consequence of freeze-induced SOD modification appears to adjust SOD function in freezing frogs. Augmented SOD activity may increase the ability of R. sylvatica to overcome oxidative stress associated with ischemia. ..
- Green S, Storey K. Regulation of glutamate dehydrogenase (GDH) in response to whole body freezing in wood frog liver linked to differential acetylation and ADP-ribosylation. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2017;636:90-99 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that GDH is regulated in the wood frog liver by means of altering post-translational modifications in response to freezing. ..
- Wijenayake S, Tessier S, Storey K. Regulation of pyruvate dehydrogenase (PDH) in the hibernating ground squirrel, (Ictidomys tridecemlineatus). J Therm Biol. 2017;69:199-205 pubmed publisher..Phosphorylation of PDH may play an important role in regulating aerobic and anaerobic metabolic responses during hibernation in the 13-lined ground squirrel. ..
- Luu B, Wijenayake S, Malik A, Storey K. The regulation of heat shock proteins in response to dehydration in Xenopus laevis. Cell Stress Chaperones. 2018;23:45-53 pubmed publisher..39-0.69 of control) in response to dehydration, but rose in the testes (1.30-fold). Overall, the results suggest a dynamic tissue-specific heat shock protein response to whole body dehydration in X. laevis. ..
- Luu B, Green S, Childers C, Holahan M, Storey K. The roles of hippocampal microRNAs in response to acute postnatal exposure to di(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate in female and male rats. Neurotoxicology. 2017;59:98-104 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that DEHP exposure has the potential to regulate microRNAs in a sex-specific manner which may interfere with proper hippocampal development in males and preserve hippocampal development in females. ..
- Bansal S, Biggar K, Krivoruchko A, Storey K. Response of the JAK-STAT signaling pathway to oxygen deprivation in the red eared slider turtle, Trachemys scripta elegans. Gene. 2016;593:34-40 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest an important role for the JAK-STAT pathway in exhibiting natural anoxia tolerance by the red-eared slider turtle. ..