- Conference highlights of the 16th international conference on human retrovirology: HTLV and related retroviruses, 26-30 june 2013, montreal, CanadaBenoit Barbeau
Département des Sciences Biologiques and BioMed Research Center, Universite du Quebec a Montreal, Room SB 3335, 2080 St Urbain, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Retrovirology 11:19. 2014..In this review, highlights of the meeting are provided by different experts for each of these research areas. ..
- Polarized expression of the membrane ASP protein derived from HIV-1 antisense transcription in T cellsIsabelle Clerc
Universite Montpellier 1, Centre d Etudes d Agents Pathogenes et Biotechnologies pour la Sante, Montpellier, France
Retrovirology 8:74. 2011..The objective of this present study was to clearly demonstrate that ASP is effectively expressed in infected T cells and to provide a better characterization of its subcellular localization...
- HTLV-I antisense transcripts initiating in the 3'LTR are alternatively spliced and polyadenylatedMarie Hélène Cavanagh
Centre de Recherche en Infectiologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Quebec, Pavillon CHUL, Quebec, G1V 4G2, Canada
Retrovirology 3:15. 2006..Thorough characterization is required to demonstrate the existence of these transcripts and gain insight into their role in retrovirus biology...
- Human T-cell lymphotropic virus type 3 (HTLV-3)- and HTLV-4-derived antisense transcripts encode proteins with similar Tax-inhibiting functions but distinct subcellular localizationEmilie Larocque
Departement des Sciences Biologiques, Universite du Quebec a Montreal, Room SB R860, 2080 Saint Urbain Montréal, Quebec, Canada H2X 3X8
J Virol 85:12673-85. 2011..These results further demonstrate that retroviral antisense transcription is not exclusive to HTLV-1 and HTLV-2 and that APH-3 and APH-4 could impact HTLV-3 and HTLV-4 replication...
- Reduced expression of both syncytin 1 and syncytin 2 correlates with severity of preeclampsiaAmandine Vargas
Universite du Quebec a Montreal, Département des sciences biologiques and Centre de recherche BioMed, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reprod Sci 18:1085-91. 2011..These HERV proteins could thereby be used as potential markers for the early diagnosis of PE...
- Upregulation of human T-cell leukemia virus type 1 antisense transcription by the viral tax proteinSebastien Landry
Universite du Quebec a Montreal, Departement des Sciences Biologiques, Centre de recherche BioMed, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Virol 83:2048-54. 2009..The cellular DNA context could thus affect the level of HBZ mRNA expression in infected cells...
- Transcriptional and functional studies of Human Endogenous Retrovirus envelope EnvP(b) and EnvV genes in human trophoblastsAmandine Vargas
Universite du Quebec a Montreal, Département des sciences biologiques and Centre de recherche BioMed, 2080 St Urbain, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H2X 3X8
Virology 425:1-10. 2012..Our results demonstrate that both env genes are expressed in human trophoblasts but are not required for syncytialization...
- Activation of LTRs from different human endogenous retrovirus (HERV) families by the HTLV-1 tax protein and T-cell activatorsChirine Toufaily
Departement des Sciences Biologiques, Universite du Quebec a Montreal, SB R860, 2080 St Urbain, Montreal, Quebec, H2X 3X8, Canada
Viruses 3:2146-59. 2011..Our results thus demonstrated that HTLV-1 Tax activates several HERV LTRs. This raises the possibility that upregulated HERV expression could be involved in diseases associated with HTLV-1 infection...
- A new luciferase-based quantitative assay for the evaluation of human trophoblast fusionAmandine Vargas
Département des sciences biologiques and Centre de recherche BioMed, Universite du Quebec a Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reprod Sci 19:374-82. 2012..Similar results were obtained in primary trophoblasts. Our results highlight the effectiveness and accuracy of this new quantification assay for trophoblast fusion...
- Endocrinology and cell signaling in human villous trophoblastCatherine Mounier
BioMed Research Center, Department of Biological Sciences, Universite du Quebec a Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Methods Mol Biol 550:89-102. 2009..In this chapter we describe the current methods to study villous trophoblast differentiation and the cell-cell fusion of the cytotrophoblast cells...
- Induction of galectin-1 expression by HTLV-I Tax and its impact on HTLV-I infectivitySonia Gauthier
Universite du Quebec a Montreal, Departement des Sciences Biologiques, 2080 St Urbain, Montreal, Quebec, H2X 3X8, Canada
Retrovirology 5:105. 2008..Several functions have been attributed to this protein including its capacity to increase cell-to-cell adhesion. Based on previous studies, we postulated that this protein could also accentuate HTLV-I infection...
- Syncytin-2 plays an important role in the fusion of human trophoblast cellsAmandine Vargas
Departement des Sciences Biologiques, Universite du Quebec a Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Mol Biol 392:301-18. 2009..Overall, these results highlight the importance of Syncytin-2 in BeWo and primary human trophoblast cell fusion...
- Does the HBZ gene represent a new potential target for the treatment of adult T-cell leukemia?Benoit Barbeau
Departement des Sciences Biologiques, Universite du Quebec a Montreal, Montreal, Canada
Int Rev Immunol 26:283-304. 2007..How could this new discovery be translated into possible new avenues for the prevention or treatment of ATL?..
- Detection, characterization and regulation of antisense transcripts in HIV-1Sebastien Landry
Universite du Quebec a Montreal, Departement des Sciences Biologiques, Montreal Quebec, H2X 3X8, Canada
Retrovirology 4:71. 2007..The objective of the present study was to demonstrate the existence of antisense transcription in HIV-1 and to provide a better characterization of the transcript and its regulation...
- Making sense out of antisense transcription in human T-cell lymphotropic viruses (HTLVs)Benoit Barbeau
Departement des Sciences Biologiques, Centre de recherche Bio Med, Universite du Quebec a Montreal, Montréal H2X3X8, Quebec, Canada
Viruses 3:456-68. 2011..Like HBZ, the APH proteins are localized in the nucleus of transfected cells and repress Tax-mediated viral transcription...