- High recombination rates and hotspots in a Plasmodium falciparum genetic crossHongying Jiang
Laboratory of Malaria and Vector Research, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, 9000 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Genome Biol 12:R33. 2011..A better understanding of these mechanisms may provide important information for studying parasite evolution, immune evasion and drug resistance...
- Selection shapes malaria genomes and drives divergence between pathogens infecting hominids versus rodentsFranck Prugnolle
Laboratoire GEMI, UMR 2724 CNRS IRD, 911 Avenue Agropolis, BP 64501, 34394 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
BMC Evol Biol 8:223. 2008..reichenowi) versus parasites infecting rodent hosts (P. yoelii yoelii, P. berghei, and P. chabaudi). Adaptation by the parasite to its host is likely highly critical to the evolution of these species...
- Direct measure of the de novo mutation rate in autism and schizophrenia cohortsPhilip Awadalla
Department of Pediatrics, Universite de Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am J Hum Genet 87:316-24. 2010..Our results emphasize the importance of DNMs as genetic mechanisms in ASD and SCZ and the limitations of using DNA from archived cell lines to identify functional variants...
- A population genetic approach to mapping neurological disorder genes using deep resequencingRachel A Myers
Department of Pediatrics, University of Montreal, Montreal, Canada
PLoS Genet 7:e1001318. 2011..Additionally, our findings support the hypothesis that rare mutations account for a proportion of the phenotypic variance of these complex disorders...
- De novo mutations in the gene encoding the synaptic scaffolding protein SHANK3 in patients ascertained for schizophreniaJulie Gauthier
Department of Medicine, Centre of Excellence in Neuromics of Université de Montréal, Centre Hospitalier de L Universite de Montreal Research Center, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, QC H2L 2W5, Canada
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:7863-8. 2010..As mutations in SHANK3 were previously reported in autism, the occurrence of SHANK3 mutations in subjects with a schizophrenia phenotype suggests a molecular genetic link between these two neurodevelopmental disorders...
- Next-generation sequencing approaches for genetic mapping of complex diseasesFerran Casals
Centre de Recherche du Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Sainte Justine, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Neuroimmunol 248:10-22. 2012..In this review we present the main next-generation sequencing technologies, with their major contributions and possible applications to the study of the genetic etiology of complex diseases...