John K G Kramer
Affiliation: Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
- Evaluation of two GC columns (60-m SUPELCOWAX 10 and 100-m CP Sil 88) for analysis of milkfat with emphasis on CLA, 18:1, 18:2 and 18:3 isomers, and short- and long-chain FAJohn K G Kramer
Food Research Program, Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, Guelph, Ontario
Lipids 37:823-35. 2002....
- Combining results of two GC separations partly achieves determination of all cis and trans 16:1, 18:1, 18:2 and 18:3 except CLA isomers of milk fat as demonstrated using Ag-ion SPE fractionationJohn K G Kramer
Guelph Food Research Center, Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, Guelph, ON, Canada
Lipids 43:259-73. 2008..The two GC temperature programs have been successfully used to routinely analyze most FA isomers in total milk and beef fats in about 200 min without the use of prior silver-ion separations...
- Analysis of conjugated linoleic acid and trans 18:1 isomers in synthetic and animal productsJohn K G Kramer
Food Research Program, Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Am J Clin Nutr 79:1137S-1145S. 2004..These improved techniques are used to evaluate the CLA profile in pork products from pigs fed different commercial CLA mixtures...
- Methods for analysis of conjugated linoleic acids and trans-18:1 isomers in dairy fats by using a combination of gas chromatography, silver-ion thin-layer chromatography/gas chromatography, and silver-ion liquid chromatographyCristina Cruz-Hernandez
Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, Food Research Program, 93 Stone Rd West, Guelph, Ontario, Canada
J AOAC Int 87:545-62. 2004..This is particularly important because absorption and metabolism will alter the ingested-CLA profile in the animal fed...
- Comparing subcutaneous adipose tissue in beef and muskox with emphasis on trans 18:1 and conjugated linoleic acidsMichael E R Dugan
Lacombe Research Centre, Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, 6000 C and E Trail, Lacombe, AB, Canada, T4L 1W1
Lipids 42:509-18. 2007..Overall, the high forage diet of muskox seemed to produce a healthier fatty acid profile and highlighted the need to develop feeding strategies for intensively raising beef that will not negatively impacting fatty acid composition...
- Ergosterol profiles, fatty acid composition, and antioxidant activities of button mushrooms as affected by tissue part and developmental stageSuqin Shao
Guelph Food Research Centre, Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, 93 Stone Road West, Guelph, Ontario, Canada N1G 5C9
J Agric Food Chem 58:11616-25. 2010..7 mg/g DM in the white and 5.1 mg/g DM in the brown button mushroom and contained mainly linoleic, palmitic, and stearic acids. Our data provide guidance for optimized harvesting time of mushrooms and maximized health benefits...
- Conjugated linoleic acid pork researchMichael E R Dugan
Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, Lacombe Research Centre, Lacombe, Canada
Am J Clin Nutr 79:1212S-1216S. 2004..Given the ability of swine to accumulate relatively high amounts of CLA in their tissues, pork and pork products could become an important vehicle for delivery of physiologically significant amounts of CLA to consumers...
- Fatty acid profiles, tocopherol contents, and antioxidant activities of heartnut (Juglans ailanthifolia Var. cordiformis) and Persian walnut (Juglans regia L.)Li Li
Food Research Program, Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, 93 Stone Road West, Guelph, Ontario N1G 5C9, Canada
J Agric Food Chem 55:1164-9. 2007....
- A rapid method for the quantification of fatty acids in fats and oils with emphasis on trans fatty acids using Fourier Transform near infrared spectroscopy (FT-NIR)Hormoz Azizian
NIR Technologies Inc, Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Lipids 40:855-67. 2005..The quantitative FT-NIR results for various edible oils and fats and their mixtures are presented based on the FT-NIR models developed...
- First direct body fat content measurement during pregnancy using Fourier transform near-infrared spectroscopyHormoz Azizian
NIR Technologies Inc, Oakville, Ontario, Canada, L6M 2M2
Appl Spectrosc 68:379-82. 2014....
- Algal meal supplementation of the cows' diet alters the physical properties of milk fatAnand Pal Singh
Food Science Department, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada, N1G 2W1
J Dairy Res 71:66-73. 2004..These changes in mechanical properties, crystallization behaviour and microstructure were driven by an increase in the 18:1 trans and a decrease in the 18:1 cis fatty acid content of the enriched milk fat...
- Body fat content determination in premenopausal, overweight, and obese young women using DXA and FT-NIRAndrea R Josse
Department of Kinesiology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Obesity (Silver Spring) 19:1497-502. 2011..We propose that FT-NIR is an ideal method for safe repeat measurements in large trials or in screening and monitoring individuals during interventions in which changes in body fat will occur...
- Effects of lipid-esterified conjugated linoleic acid isomers on platelet function: evidence for stimulation of platelet phospholipase activityMay M Al-Madaney
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, The George Washington University, Washington, DC 20037, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1635:75-82. 2003..Our results suggest that the presence of a conjugated cis, cis double bond appears to change the lipid environment sufficiently to stimulate the basal platelet phospholipase activity, which in turn increases the formation of TXB(2)...
- Extensive analysis of long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids, CLA, trans-18:1 isomers, and plasmalogenic lipids in different retail beef typesJana Kraft
Department of Animal Science, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont, USA
J Agric Food Chem 56:4775-82. 2008..In conclusion, from the human health perspective, beef raised on NGS is clearly superior with regard to a more favorable fatty acid profile in comparison to IPS beef...
- The use of total trans-11 containing FA, rather than total "n-7" FA, is recommended to assess the content of FA with a positive health image in rumiant fatsJohn K G Kramer
Lipids 39:693-5; author reply 695-6. 2004
- Total lipids of Sarda sheep meat that include the fatty acid and alkenyl composition and the CLA and trans-18:1 isomersViviana Santercole
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Sassari, 07100, Sassari, Italy
Lipids 42:361-82. 2007..Inclusion of small amounts of supplements for the grazing Sarda sheep resulted in improved quality of sheep meat lipids...
- The conversion efficiency of trans-11 and trans-12 18:1 by Delta9-desaturation differs in ratsJana Kraft
University of Jena, Institute of Nutrition, Germany
J Nutr 136:1209-14. 2006....
- Overview of infrared methodologies for trans fat determinationMagdi M Mossoba
U S Food and Drug Administration, Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, Office of Scientific Analysis and Support, HFS 717, BE 012, 5100 Paint Branch Pkwy, College Park, MD 20740, USA
J AOAC Int 87:540-4. 2004..The modified procedure required more time, but eliminated any adverse impact on accuracy arising from interfering minor food components having absorption bands near 966 cm(-1)...
- Improved identification of conjugated linoleic acid isomers using silver-ion HPLC separationsPierluigi Delmonte
U S Food and Drug Administration, Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, 5100 Paint Branch Pkwy, College Park, MD 20740, USA
J AOAC Int 87:563-8. 2004..The availability of CLA reference materials and the application of RRV and RRT to Ag+-HPLC and GC separations, respectively, will greatly improve in the identifications of CLA isomers...
- Effects of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) isomers on oxygen diffusion-concentration products in liposomes and phospholipid solutionsJun Jie Yin
Instrumentation and Biophysics Branch, CFSAN, US Food and Drug Administration, College Park, Maryland 20740, USA
J Agric Food Chem 54:7287-93. 2006..The results of this study provide evidence that the behavior of CLA isomers differs in the microenvironment of membranes possibly due to structural differences that affect the permeability of membranes to oxygen and lipid peroxidation...