D N Mbanya
Affiliation: Faculty of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
- Diabetes in Africa. Diabetes microvascular and macrovascular disease in AfricaJean Claude Mbanya
Endocrine and Diabetes Unit, Department of Internal Medicine and Specialities, Faculty of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University of Yaounde 1, Cameroon
J Cardiovasc Risk 10:97-102. 2003..Late diagnosis of diabetes, poor metabolic control and nonstandardized diagnostic procedures rather than genetic predisposition may account for this difference from other populations around the world...
- Blood safety begins with safe donations: update among blood donors in Yaounde, CameroonD N Mbanya
Department of Haematology, Faculty of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University of Yaounde I, Yaounde, Cameroon
Transfus Med 15:395-9. 2005..Raising the alarm through the dissemination of alarming statistics and continuous sensitization of the community remain strategies for attempting to provide a solution to a long-standing but dangerous problem...
- Standardized comparison of glucose intolerance in west African-origin populations of rural and urban Cameroon, Jamaica, and Caribbean migrants to BritainJ C Mbanya
Diabetes and Endocrine Unit, Faculty of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University of Yaounde I, Yaounde, Cameroon
Diabetes Care 22:434-40. 1999..To compare the prevalence of glucose intolerance in genetically similar African-origin populations within Cameroon and from Jamaica and Britain...
- Metabolic and hormonal effects of five common African diets eaten as mixed meals: the Cameroon StudyJ C N Mbanya
Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University of Yaounde 1, Cameroon
Eur J Clin Nutr 57:580-5. 2003....
- [Aetiologic factors and clinical features associated with thrombocytopenia in Cameroonese adults: the importance of Plasmodium falciparum malaria]Dora Mbanya
Departement d Hematologie, Faculté de médecine et des sciences biomédicales, Universite de Yaounde I, BP 8046, Cameroun
Sante 12:331-5. 2002..No other haemostatic abnormalities were observed. It may be cost-effective for patients with low platelet counts in malarial regions to be systematically screened for malaria parasites...
- Model for assessment of endothelial cell function and viability using the MTT dye test and [3H]D N Mbanya
Department of Haematology, Faculty of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University of Yaounde I, Cameroon
Cent Afr J Med 47:177-81. 2001..To establish a reproducible in vitro model for evaluating endothelial cell function in clinical disease states...
- Knowledge, attitudes and practices of nursing staff in a rural hospital of Cameroon: how much does the health care provider know about the human immunodeficiency virus/acquired immune deficiency syndrome?D N Mbanya
Department of Haematology, Faculty of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University of Yaounde, Cameroon
Int Nurs Rev 48:241-9. 2001..Information, education and communication, and compliance with international working norms, remain essential tools in the control of HIV/AIDS spread in our hospital settings...
- Serological findings amongst first-time blood donors in Yaoundé, Cameroon: is safe donation a reality or a myth?D N Mbanya
Department of Haematology, University of Yaounde I, Yaounde, Cameroon
Transfus Med 13:267-73. 2003..Furthermore, donors with a history of sexually transmitted infections should be totally excluded from all donations...
- Transfusion outcome in a resource-limited setting of Cameroon: a five-year evaluationD Mbanya
Hopital Central, and Faculty of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University of Yaounde I, Yaounde, Cameroon
Int J Infect Dis 5:70-3. 2001..With a goal to establish strategies for improving blood safety in resource-limited conditions, the outcome of blood transfusion in a hospital setting of Cameroon was examined...
- Left ventricular mass and systolic function in African diabetic patients: association with microalbuminuriaJ C Mbanya
Endocrine and Diabetes Unit, Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University of Yaounde 1, Cameroon
Diabetes Metab 27:378-82. 2001..To assess echocardiographic evidence of cardiomyopathy and its association with microalbuminuria in type 2 normotensive non-proteinuric diabetic patients...
- Diabetes cost in sub-Saharan AfricaJean-Claude Mbanya
Diabetes and Endocrine Unit, Department of Internal Medicine and Specialities, University of Yaound, Cameroon
J Cardiovasc Risk 10:191-3. 2003
- Reduced insulin secretion in offspring of African type 2 diabetic parentsJ C Mbanya
Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University of Yaounde I Cameroon
Diabetes Care 23:1761-5. 2000..To determine the early biochemical predictors of increased susceptibility to develop diabetes in offspring of African type 2 diabetic parents...
- Impact of HIV-1infection on survival in patients with haematological malignancies in Yaoundeé, CameroonD N Mbanya
Department of Haematology, Faculty of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University of Yaoundeé I, Yaoundeé, B P 8046, Cameroon
Trop Doct 37:151-2. 2007..05 deaths per year and a median of survival of 15 (6-27) months. However, the hazard ratio for HIV-infected patients to die was not statistically different from that of uninfected patients (1.3, 95% confidence interval: 0.9-2.0)...
- HIV-1 infection in adults with haematological malignancies in YaoundÃ©, CameroonD N Mbanya
Department of Haematology, University Teaching Hospital (CHU, Yaound, Cameroun
West Afr J Med 21:183-4. 2002..Although B-lineage-derived malignancies are more often associated with the HIV infection, other malignant proliferations of the haematopoietic system may not be coincidental...
- HLA-DRB1, -DQA1, -DQB1 and DPB1 susceptibility alleles in Cameroonian type 1 diabetes patients and controlsJ C Mbanya
Centre Hospitalier et Universitaire Yaoundé and Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University of Yaounde, Cameroon
Eur J Immunogenet 28:459-62. 2001....
- Evaluation of a simple management protocol for hyperglycaemic crises using intramuscular insulin in a resource-limited settingE Sobngwi
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, National Obesity Centre, Yaounde Central Hospital, Yaounde, Cameroon
Diabetes Metab 35:404-9. 2009..We report here on an audit of clinical outcomes of a simple management protocol that involves IM insulin therapy, careful rehydration and inexpensive monitoring in a resource-limited setting...
- The spectrum of coma among people with diabetes in Cameroon: an appraisal of the implications and challenges at the Yaounde Central HospitalY M Dehayem
Endocrinology Service, Internal Medicine Unit, Yaounde Central Hospital, Yaounde, Cameroon
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 102:73-8. 2008..Associated deaths are regularly the result of infection. The management of the comas, using techniques that are not particularly aggressive, generates outcomes similar to those reported elsewhere...
- Anthropometry measures and prevalence of obesity in the urban adult population of Cameroon: an update from the Cameroon Burden of Diabetes Baseline SurveyRaoul M Kamadjeu
Health of Population in Transition Research Group, Faculty of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Yaounde University I, Cameroon
BMC Public Health 6:228. 2006..The objective of the study was to provide baseline and reference data on the prevalence and distribution of overweight and obesity, using different anthropometric measurements in adult urban populations in Cameroon...
- Exposure over the life course to an urban environment and its relation with obesity, diabetes, and hypertension in rural and urban CameroonEugene Sobngwi
Cameroon Essential Non communicable diseases Health Intervention Project, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Yaounde 1, Yaounde, Cameroon
Int J Epidemiol 33:769-76. 2004..This study aimed to assess the association between lifetime exposure to urban environment (EU) and obesity, diabetes, and hypertension in an adult population of Sub-Saharan Africa...
- Guideline for management of postmeal glucoseAntonio Ceriello
Warwick Medical School, Clinical Science Research Institute, Clinical Science Building, University Hospital Walsgrave Campus, Clifford Bridge Road, Coventry CV2 2DX, UK
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 18:S17-33. 2008..This guideline reviews the evidence on the harmful effects of elevated postmeal glucose and makes recommendations on its treatment, assessment and targets...
- Initiation of insulin glargine therapy in type 2 diabetes subjects suboptimally controlled on oral antidiabetic agents: results from the AT.LANTUS trialM Davies
Department of Cardiovascular Sciences, University of Leicester, Leicester, UK
Diabetes Obes Metab 10:387-99. 2008..This subgroup analysis investigated the initiation of once-daily glargine therapy in patients suboptimally controlled on multiple OADs...
- Application of the modified Framingham cardiovascular risk score to newly diagnosed type 2 black African diabetic patientsAndre Pascal Kengne
George Institute for International Health, University of Sydney, Australia
Cardiovasc J Afr 18:234-7. 2007..The aim of this cross-sectional study was to assess the baseline cardiovascular risk of newly diagnosed type 2 diabetic patients, using the modified Framingham point-score scale...
- Waist circumference does not predict circulating adiponectin levels in sub-Saharan womenEugene Sobngwi
Department of Medicine and Specialties, Faculty of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University of Yaounde 1, Yaounde, Cameroon
Cardiovasc Diabetol 6:31. 2007....
- Perceived risk factors of cardiovascular diseases and diabetes in CameroonPaschal K Awah
Health of Populations in Transition Research Group, Diabetes ndocrine Unit, Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University of Yaounde I, Cameroon
Health Educ Res 23:612-20. 2008..This issue can only be addressed in countries of sub-Sahara through capacity building for control and prevention of CVD risk factors...
- Exercise and the prevention of cardiovascular events in womenEugene Sobngwi
N Engl J Med 348:77-9; author reply 77-9. 2003
- Metabolic syndrome in a sub-Saharan African setting: central obesity may be the key determinantLeopold Fezeu
INSERM U780 IFR69, Epidemiological and Biostatistical Research, 16 Avenue Paul Vaillant Couturier, 94807 Villejuif, France
Atherosclerosis 193:70-6. 2007....
- A study of the prevalence and risk factors of foot problems in a population of diabetic patients in cameroonE A Agbor Ndip
Endocrine and Diabetes Unit, Yaounde Central Hospital, Cameroon
Int J Low Extrem Wounds 5:83-8. 2006..3% of patients, and 47% had a risky nail-trimming habit, whereas 22% wore ill-fitting shoes. The prevalence of diabetic foot lesions is high, and known risk factors are significantly present, especially poor foot care...
- Cardiovascular complications of diabetes mellitus in sub-Saharan AfricaAndre Pascal Kengne
Department of Internal Medicine and Specialities, Faculty of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University of Yaounde I, BP 8046 Yaoundé, Cameroon
Circulation 112:3592-601. 2005..Two of 3 diabetic patients will die as a result of cardiovascular complications, and approximately 30% of patients treated in cardiovascular intensive care units have diabetes...
- Association between socioeconomic status and adiposity in urban CameroonLeopold Fezeu
, Villejuif, France
Int J Epidemiol 35:105-11. 2006..CONCLUSION: SES is positively associated with adiposity in urban Cameroon after adjusting for confounding factors...
- Griffonianone D, an isoflavone with anti-inflammatory activity from the root bark of Millettia griffonianaEmmanuel Yankep
Department of Organic Chemistry, Faculty of Science, University of Yaounde 1, P.O. Box 812 Yaounde, Cameroon
J Nat Prod 66:1288-90. 2003..The chloroform extract of the root bark of M. griffoniana and compound 1 showed anti-inflammatory effects in different experimental models of inflammation...
- Standardisation of glycated haemoglobinPhilip Home
BMJ 329:1196-7. 2004
- Prevalence of wheeze and self-reported asthma and asthma care in an urban and rural area of Tanzania and CameroonFerdinand Mugusi
Muhimbili University College of Health Sciences, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Trop Doct 34:209-14. 2004..There were major gaps in clinical care, particularly in urban areas. Sustainable methods for delivering accessible and effective asthma care in sub-Saharan Africa are required...