- Glitazones in lipodystrophy syndrome induced by highly active antiretroviral therapy
Division of aInfectious Diseases, , Geneva, Switzerland
AIDS 17:770-2. 2003
- Tolerability and effectiveness of first-line regimens combining nevirapine and lamivudine plus zidovudine or stavudine in Cameroon
Institut de Recherche pour le Developpement, UMR 145 IRD University of Montpellier 1, Montpellier, France
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 24:393-9. 2008
..In view of stavudine toxicity, these results support recommendations calling for a gradual switch from stavudine- to zidovudine-based regimens...
- Mean CD4 cell count changes in patients failing a first-line antiretroviral therapy in resource-limited settings
HIV Unit, Geneva University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
BMC Infect Dis 12:147. 2012
..We assessed the impact of on-going HIV-RNA replication on CD4 cell count slopes in patients treated with a first-line combination ART...
- [News in HIV/AIDS therapy]
Service des Maladies Infectieuses, HUG, 1211 Geneve
Rev Med Suisse 8:130-4. 2012
..Finally, the first phase I clinical trials of gene therapy are being presented later this year, allowing the hope of HIV cure...
- No significant effect of uridine or pravastatin treatment for HIV lipoatrophy in men who have ceased thymidine analogue nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor therapy: a randomized trial
HIV, Immunology and Infectious Diseases Unit, Centre for Applied Medical Research, St Vincent s Hospital, Sydney, Australia
HIV Med 11:493-501. 2010
..Today, most patients with lipoatrophy receive non-tNRTI-based ART; the effect of uridine in such patients is unknown...
- Clinical update: adverse effects of antiretroviral therapy
St Vincent's Hospital, Sydney 2010, NSW, Australia
Lancet 370:12-4. 2007
- Safety and efficacy of once-daily nevirapine dosing: a multicohort study
Division of Infectious Disease HIV unit, University Hospital Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Antivir Ther 14:931-8. 2009
..Nevirapine (NVP) is often prescribed once daily in clinical practice in combination with a once daily nucleoside backbone. We investigated the relationship of NVP dosing with safety and efficacy...
- HIV viral load monitoring in resource-limited regions: optional or necessary?
Medecins Sans Frontieres, Access to Medicines Campaign, Geneva, 1211, Switzerland
Clin Infect Dis 44:128-34. 2007
..Rather than considering viral load data to be an unaffordable luxury, efforts should be made to ensure that viral load testing becomes affordable, simple, and easy to use in resource-limited settings...
- Low bone mineral density, renal dysfunction, and fracture risk in HIV infection: a cross-sectional study
HIV, Immunology and Infectious Diseases Unit, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
J Infect Dis 200:1746-54. 2009
..The role of proximal renal tubular dysfunction (PRTD) and alterations in bone metabolism in HIV-related low BMD are incompletely understood...
- Early changes in adipokine levels and baseline limb fat may predict HIV lipoatrophy over 2 years following initiation of antiretroviral therapy
St Vincent s Hospital, Sydney, Australia
HIV Med 9:101-10. 2008
..We investigated whether metabolic and body composition parameters could predict the development of LD over 2 years in adults initiating antiretroviral therapy (ART)...
- HIV increases markers of cardiovascular risk: results from a randomized, treatment interruption trial
HIV Unit, Geneva University Hospital, 15 rue Micheli Du Crest, Geneva 1205, Switzerland
AIDS 23:929-39. 2009
..We investigated whether HIV replication modified the levels of these proteins in a combination antiretroviral therapy (cART) interruption trial...
- Metabolic syndrome, cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes mellitus after initiation of antiretroviral therapy in HIV infection
National Centre in HIV Epidemiology and Clinical Research, University of New South Wales, Australia
AIDS 21:2445-53. 2007
..Metabolic syndrome (MS) identifies individuals at risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD) and type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM). Little is known about MS and its consequences following initiation of antiretroviral therapy (ART)...
- A new era of antiretroviral drug toxicity
Geneva University Hospital, HIV Unit, Geneva, Switzerland
Antivir Ther 14:165-79. 2009
..We review life-threatening adverse events, adverse events of new investigational or recently marketed drugs, adverse events with a genetic component and tissue-specific adverse events of fat, heart, bone, kidney and liver...
- Preferred antiretroviral drugs for the next decade of scale up
Medecins Sans Frontieres, Geneva, Switzerland
J Int AIDS Soc 15:17986. 2012
..This commentary reviews recommendations made in an expert consultation on treatment scale up in resource-limited settings...
- Impact of highly active antiretroviral therapy on the molecular epidemiology of newly diagnosed HIV infections
Laboratory of Virology, Department of Genetics and Laboratory Medicine, University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
AIDS 26:2079-86. 2012
..To evaluate HIV-1 transmission trends and the impact of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) on newly diagnosed HIV infections in Geneva, Switzerland...
- Safety of efavirenz in the first trimester of pregnancy: an updated systematic review and meta-analysis
Centre for Infectious Disease Epidemiology and Research, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
AIDS 25:2301-4. 2011
..85 (95% CI 0.61-1.20). One neural tube defect was observed (myelomeningocele), giving an incidence of 0.07% (95% CI 0.002-0.39)...
- How developing world concerns need to be part of drug development plans: a case study of four emerging antiretrovirals
Jens Van Roey
Medecins Sans Frontieres, Campaign for Access to Essential Medecins, Rue de Lausanne 78, 1211 Geneva, Switzerland
Drug Discov Today 13:601-5. 2008
..Key research questions relevant for developing countries need to be answered early in the drug development process to ensure maximum benefit for the majority...
- Health perceptions of African HIV-infected patients and their physicians
Melissa I Dominicé Dao
Geneva University Hospitals, Community Medicine and Primary Care Department, Geneva, Switzerland
Patient Educ Couns 80:185-90. 2010
- Infrequent replication of parvovirus B19 and erythrovirus genotypes 2 and 3 among HIV-infected patients with chronic anemia
Geneva University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
Clin Infect Dis 50:115-8. 2010
..Sixteen patients had circulating DNA, with no apparent clinical impact. Erythrovirus-associated anemia is an extremely rare event in HIV-infected patients...
- Driving a decade of change: HIV/AIDS, patents and access to medicines for all
Ellen t Hoen
Medicines Patent Pool Initiative, UNITAID Secretariat, Geneva, Switzerland
J Int AIDS Soc 14:15. 2011
..Governments must live up to their obligations to protect access to medicines as a fundamental component of the human right to health...
- Review of the safety, efficacy, and pharmacokinetics of elvitegravir with an emphasis on resource-limited settings
Janice Soo Fern Lee
Medecins Sans Frontieres, Geneva University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
HIV AIDS (Auckl) 4:5-15. 2012
..Clinical trials addressing specific challenges encountered in resources-limited settings should be encouraged...
- HIV treatment for prevention
HIV Unit, Department of Infectious Diseases, University of Geneva Hospitals, Geneva, Switzerland
J Int AIDS Soc 14:28. 2011
..This will lead to a decrease in HIV transmission while "test-and-treat" is fully explored in prospective clinical trials...
- Higher memory responses in HIV-infected and kidney transplanted patients than in healthy subjects following priming with the pandemic vaccine
Claire Anne Siegrist
Department of Pathology Immunology and Paediatrics, Centre for Vaccinology, University Hospitals of Geneva and Faculty of Medicine, University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
PLoS ONE 7:e40428. 2012
..Memory responses require immune competence. We assessed the influence of priming with AS03-adjuvanted pandemic vaccine (Pandemrix®) on memory responses of HIV patients, kidney recipients (SOT) and healthy controls (HC)...
- Squamous cell carcinoma of the anus-an opportunistic cancer in HIV-positive male homosexuals
Department of Surgery, Geneva University Hospital and Medical School, 1211 Geneve, Switzerland
World J Gastroenterol 17:2987-91. 2011
..In addition, definitive eradication of oncogenic HPVs within the anogenital mucosa of high-risk individuals might require a proactive approach with repeated vaccination...
- The first decade of antiretroviral therapy in Africa
Medecins Sans Frontieres, Geneva, Switzerland
Global Health 7:33. 2011
- Safety, efficacy, and pharmacokinetics of rilpivirine: systematic review with an emphasis on resource-limited settings
Medecins Sans Frontieres, Geneva, Switzerland
HIV AIDS (Auckl) 3:35-44. 2011
..These characteristics make rilpivirine an attractive drug for resource-limited settings. Future research should assess the potential to improve robustness and assess the clinical significance of interaction with antituberculosis drugs...
- HIV drug resistance
N Engl J Med 350:2720-1. 2004
- Pulmonary arterial hypertension related to HIV infection: improved hemodynamics and survival associated with antiretroviral therapy
University and Cantonal Hospitals of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Clin Infect Dis 38:1178-85. 2004
..7 years. HAART significantly decreased mortality due to PAHRH as well as other causes. This study suggests a beneficial effect of combination ART in patients with PAHRH...
- Effectiveness and safety of a generic fixed-dose combination of nevirapine, stavudine, and lamivudine in HIV-1-infected adults in Cameroon: open-label multicentre trial
Institut de Recherche pour le Développement and Department of International Health, University of Montpellier UMR 145, Montpellier, France
Lancet 364:29-34. 2004
..We aimed to assess these issues for one of the most frequently prescribed treatments in Africa, a generic fixed-dose combination of nevirapine, stavudine, and lamivudine...
- Highly active antiretroviral therapy in resource-poor settings: the experience of MÃ©decins Sans FrontiÃ¨res
Epicentre, Paris, France
AIDS 17:1995-7. 2003
..At 6 months, outcomes were similar to those observed in western countries, and the probability of remaining on treatment was 94%. The challenge now is to extend access to HAART to the millions in urgent need...
- Long-term efficacy after switch from protease inhibitor-containing highly active antiretroviral therapy to abacavir, lamivudine, and zidovudine
AIDS 18:2213-5. 2004
- Simplifying and adapting antiretroviral treatment in resource-poor settings: a necessary step to scaling-up
AIDS 18:2353-60. 2004
- Field assessment of generic antiretroviral drugs: a prospective cohort study in Cameroon
, University of Montpellier (UMR 145, Montpellier, France
Antivir Ther 10:335-41. 2005
..8 per 100 person-years). CONCLUSION: Together with previous pharmacological and clinical studies, this prospective study suggests that these generic antiretroviral drugs can be used in developing countries...
- Monitoring of antiretroviral therapy in low-resource settings
Stephen D Lawn
Lancet 372:287-8; author reply 289. 2008
- Adherence to antiretroviral therapy assessed by drug level monitoring and self-report in cameroon
Central Hospital, Yaounde, Cameroon
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 48:216-9. 2008
..To compare adherence to antiretroviral therapy using drug level monitoring and self-report and to explore the relation between these 2 methods and viral load measurements...
- Second-line antiretroviral therapy in resource-limited settings: the experience of Médecins Sans Frontières
Epicentre, Paris, France
AIDS 22:1305-12. 2008
..To describe the use of second-line protease-inhibitor regimens in Médecins Sans Frontières HIV programmes, and determine switch rates, clinical outcomes, and factors associated with survival...
- Treating HIV in the developing world: getting ahead of the drug development curve
Drug Discov Today 12:1-3. 2007
- Generic fixed-dose combination antiretroviral treatment in resource-poor settings: multicentric observational cohort
MSF, Campaign for Access to Essential Medicines, 78 rue de Lausanne, 1205 Geneva, Switzerland
AIDS 20:1163-9. 2006
..The use fixed-dose combination (FDC) is a critical tool in improving HAART. Studies on the effectiveness of combined lamivudine, stavudine and nevirapine (3TC/d4T/NVP) are scarce...
- Long-term safety, effectiveness and quality of a generic fixed-dose combination of nevirapine, stavudine and lamivudine
IRD, UMR 145 IRD University of Montpellier 1, Montpellier, France
AIDS 21:768-71. 2007
..Virological effectiveness appeared to wane somewhat during the second year of treatment, however, and plasma nevirapine concentrations were relatively high...
- (The Lancet)red: a missed opportunity
Lancet 368:1063. 2006
- Quality control assessment of human immunodeficiency virus type 2 (HIV-2) viral load quantification assays: results from an international collaboration on HIV-2 infection in 2006
APHP, Hopital Bichat Claude Bernard, Laboratoire de Virologie, Paris, 75018 France
J Clin Microbiol 46:2088-91. 2008
..Quantification varied between laboratories, and international standardization of quantification assays is strongly needed...
- Initial treatment for HIV infection--an embarrassment of riches
N Engl J Med 358:2170-2. 2008
- First-line and second-line antiretroviral therapy
Lancet 364:329; author reply 330. 2004