- A review of interferon use in patients with relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis in the Canterbury region, New Zealand: 2000-2006
Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland
N Z Med J 125:37-44. 2012
..Demographic analysis showed that the age at entry, duration of disease and EDSS at entry were each greater than in the landmark clinical trials. Relapse rates and usage of IVMP decreased when compared to the 2 years prior to treatment...
- Absence of consensus in diagnostic criteria for familial neurodegenerative diseases
Trinity College Institute of Neurosciences, Beaumont Hospital, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 83:365-7. 2012
..These familial cases are usually clinically indistinguishable from sporadic cases. Identifying familial cases is important both in terms of clinical guidance for family members and for gene discovery...
- Rate of familial amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis
Deparment of Neurology, Beaumont Hospital, Beaumont Rd, Dublin 9, Ireland
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 82:623-7. 2011
..The population rate of familial amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (FALS) is frequently reported as 10%. However, a systematic review and meta-analysis of the true population based frequency of FALS has never been performed...
- Basal ganglia involvement in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
From the Biomedical Sciences Institute P B, M E, S B, A V, O H, and Smurfit Institute of Genetics R L M, K K, D G B, Trinity College Dublin and Department of Neuropsychology N P, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Neurology 81:2107-15. 2013
..To characterize the nature and extent of basal ganglia involvement in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) genotypes in vivo...
- Aggregation of neurologic and neuropsychiatric disease in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis kindreds: a population-based case-control cohort study of familial and sporadic amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
Department of Neurology, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Ireland Trinity Biomedical Sciences Institute, School of Medicine, Dublin, Ireland
Ann Neurol 74:699-708. 2013
- Multiparametric MRI study of ALS stratified for the C9orf72 genotype
Trinity College Institute of Neuroscience TCIN, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Neurology 81:361-9. 2013
..To describe the patterns of cortical and subcortical changes in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) stratified for the C9orf72 genotype...
- Cognitive changes predict functional decline in ALS: a population-based longitudinal study
Trinity College Institute of Neuroscience, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland
Neurology 80:1590-7. 2013
..To determine whether cognitive status in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is a useful predictor of attrition and motor and cognitive decline...
- Grey matter correlates of clinical variables in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS): a neuroimaging study of ALS motor phenotype heterogeneity and cortical focality
Trinity College Institute of Neuroscience TCIN, Lloyd Building, Trinity College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 84:766-73. 2013
..Body region of onset and functional disability are key components of disease heterogeneity in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)...
- Cognitive and clinical characteristics of patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis carrying a C9orf72 repeat expansion: a population-based cohort study
Department of Neurology, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Lancet Neurol 11:232-40. 2012
..We assessed the frequency of the recently identified C9orf72 repeat expansion in familial and apparently sporadic cases of ALS and characterised the cognitive and clinical phenotype of patients with this expansion...
- Analysis of the hexanucleotide repeat expansion and founder haplotype at C9ORF72 in an Irish psychosis case-control sample
Neuropsychiatric Genetics Research Group, Department of Psychiatry and Institute of Molecular Medicine, Trinity College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Neurobiol Aging 35:1510.e1-5. 2014
..714, p < 0.001). Our study provides further evidence to bolster the claim that carriers of the repeat expansion at C9ORF72 arose from a single common founder...
- Survival analysis of irish amyotrophic lateral sclerosis patients diagnosed from 1995-2010
Academic Unit of Neurology, Trinity Biomedical Sciences Institute, Dublin, Ireland
PLoS ONE 8:e74733. 2013
..Cox regression has become the default tool for survival analysis, but recently new classes of flexible parametric survival analysis tools known as Royston-Parmar models have become available...
- An Exploratory Spatial Analysis of ALS Incidence in Ireland over 17.5 Years (1995 - July 2013)
Academic Unit of Neurology, Trinity Biomedical Sciences Institute, Trinity College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
PLoS ONE 9:e96556. 2014
..Results to date have been inconclusive. The Irish ALS register has been recently geocoded, presenting opportunity to perform a spatial analysis on national prospectively gathered data of incident cases over an 18-year period...
- Delineating the genetic heterogeneity of ALS using targeted high-throughput sequencing
Kevin P Kenna
Smurfit Institute of Genetics, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland
J Med Genet 50:776-83. 2013
..Over 100 genes have been implicated in the aetiology of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). A detailed understanding of their independent and cumulative contributions to disease burden may help guide various clinical and research efforts...
- Spinal cord markers in ALS: diagnostic and biomarker considerations
Trinity College Institute of Neuroscience, Centre for Advanced Medical Imaging, St James s Hosiptal, Dublin, Ireland
Amyotroph Lateral Scler 13:407-15. 2012
..Novel quantitative spinal modalities have already been successfully used in ALS animal models and have the potential for development into sensitive ALS biomarkers in humans...
- The syndrome of cognitive impairment in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: a population-based study
Trinity College Institute of Neuroscience, Dublin, Ireland
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 83:102-8. 2012
..Despite considerable interest, the population-based frequency, clinical characteristics and natural history of cognitive impairment in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) are not known...
- Sexual dimorphism in ALS: exploring gender-specific neuroimaging signatures
Biomedical Sciences Institute, Trinity College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Amyotroph Lateral Scler Frontotemporal Degener 15:235-43. 2014
..Given the significant pre- and post-morbid gender differences, we feel that ALS imaging studies should be controlled for gender or, alternatively, single gender studies should be considered...