- Medical profiling: improving standards and risk adjustments using hierarchical models
J F Burgess
Management Science Group, Department of Veterans Affairs, Bedford, MA 01730, USA
J Health Econ 19:291-309. 2000
..These methods determine probabilities needed to make meaningful profiles of medical units based on standards set by all appropriate parties...
- The effect of network arrangements on hospital pricing behavior
James F Burgess
Department of Health Services, Boston University School of Public Health, 715 Albany Street, Talbot 3 West, Boston, MA 02118, USA
J Health Econ 24:391-405. 2005
..However, this result appears to be generated primarily by system-owned hospitals that form networks to provide particular services jointly...
- Importance of health system context for evaluating utilization patterns across systems
James F Burgess
Center for Organization, Leadership and Management Research, Department of Veterans Affairs, Boston, MA, USA
Health Econ 20:239-51. 2011
..Understanding the context of a particular health system and its effect on the DGP is important in conducting effective valid evaluations...
- On measuring the hospital cost/quality trade-off
US Department of Veterans Affairs Management Science Group, Bedford, MA 01730, USA
Health Econ 8:509-20. 1999
..The results of this paper underscore a number of practical difficulties and challenges facing government or other systems in evaluating the relative performance of their hospitals...
- The financial experience of hospitals with HMO contracts: evidence from Florida
Gary J Young
Management Decision and Research Center, Department of Veterans Affairs, Boston University School of Public Health, MA, USA
Inquiry 39:67-75. 2002
..The continued growth of HMOs and other managed care entities may have important implications for the future financial viability of U.S. hospitals...
- Specialty and full-service hospitals: a comparative cost analysis
VA Center for Health Quality, Outcomes and Economic Research and Boston University School of Public Health, 200 Springs Road, Bedford, MA 01730, USA
Health Serv Res 43:1869-87. 2008
..To compare the costs of physician-owned cardiac, orthopedic, and surgical single specialty hospitals with those of full-service hospital competitors...
- Performance-based budgeting in the public sector: an illustration from the VA health care system
Department of Economics, Union College, NY 12308, USA
Health Econ 15:295-310. 2006
..The paper also provides recommendations to improve the efficiency of delivering health care services applicable to public sector organizations...