Monica L Zilberman
- Relationship between craving and personality in treatment-seeking women with substance-related disordersMonica L Zilberman
Addiction Centre, Foothills Medical Centre, University of Calgary, Canada
BMC Psychiatry 3:1. 2003..Individual differences may impact susceptibility to addiction. The impact of personality features on drug craving, however, has not been studied, particularly in women...
- The impact of gender, depression, and personality on cravingMonica L Zilberman
Department of Psychiatry, University of Sao Paulo, SP, 05435 030, Brazil
J Addict Dis 26:79-84. 2007..This finding underscores the need for vigorous assessment and treatment of comorbid symptomatology in women entering addiction treatment...
- [Domestic violence, alcohol and substance abuse]Monica L Zilberman
Instituto de Psiquiatria, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 27:S51-5. 2005..This article provides an overview of the prevalence of these problems, the health-related consequences for adults, children and elderly, as well as the challenges for clinicians in screening, assessment and referral...
- Gender similarities and differences: the prevalence and course of alcohol- and other substance-related disordersMonica Zilberman
Institute of Psychiatry, University of Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil 05403 010
J Addict Dis 22:61-74. 2003..It is concluded that women's earlier age of initiation of substance use, faster progression to dependence and under-representation in addiction treatments should be addressed in future health care planning...
- The impact of an outpatient program for women with substance use-related disorders on retentionMonica L Zilberman
Addiction Centre, Foothills Medical Centre, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Subst Use Misuse 38:2109-24. 2003..This finding suggests that the heterogeneity of women with substance-use disorders has to be taken into account when developing appropriate treatment strategies...
- Comparison of craving between pathological gamblers and alcoholicsHermano Tavares
Department of Psychiatry, Gambling Outpatient Unit, Faculty of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 29:1427-31. 2005..The aim of this study was to compare craving between pathologic gamblers (PG) and alcohol-dependent subjects (ADS), correlating craving with personality...
- Discriminating drug-dependent women from alcoholic women and drug-dependent menMonica L Zilberman
Addiction Centre, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, 1403 29th Street NW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 2T9
Addict Behav 28:1343-9. 2003..This should be taken into account when devising treatment strategies for this specific population...
- Substance use disorders: sex differences and psychiatric comorbiditiesMonica L Zilberman
Addiction Centre, Foothills Medical Centre, University of Calgary, 1403 29th Street NW, Calgary, AB T2N 2T9
Can J Psychiatry 48:5-13. 2003..This article reviews sex differences in psychiatric comorbidity among individuals with substance use disorders and, in particular, the clinical significance of these differences for treatment outcome among women...
- Gender differences in treatment-seeking Brazilian drug-dependent individualsMonica L Zilberman
Institute of Psychiatry, Medical School, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil IPq HC FMUSP
Subst Abus 24:17-25. 2003..It should also be noted that higher rates of alcohol problems in women's family background pose challenges for the development of effective preventive and treatment strategies...
- Differences in drinking patterns between men and women in BrazilCynthia C Wolle
Department of Psychiatry, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Brazil
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 33:367-73. 2011..To examine sex differences in alcohol consumption according to age groups, and to assess gender and age effects on several aspects of alcohol consumption patterns...
- [Pathological love: is it a new psychiatric disorder?]Eglacy C Sophia
Ambulatório Integrado dos Transtornos do Impulso, Instituto de Psiquiatria Hospital das Clínicas, Faculdade de Medicina Universidade de São Paolo, Brasil
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 29:55-62. 2007..Although the available data is comprised of case studies, such condition (which is distinguished itself from erotomania or delusional love) seems not to be rare...
- Are there cognitive and behavioural approaches specific to the treatment of pathological gambling?Hermano Tavares
Addiction Centre, Foothills Medical Centre, University of Calgary, 1403 29th Street NW, Calgary, AB T2N 2JT9
Can J Psychiatry 48:22-7. 2003..Treatment approaches for pathological gambling have been modelled after preexisting substance addiction models. This paper reviews cognitive-behavioural models in a search for original insights that are specific to gambling treatment...
- Gender differences in obsessive-compulsive disorder: a literature reviewMaria Alice de Mathis
Department of Psychiatry, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 33:390-9. 2011..Previous studies suggested that gender plays a relevant role in OCD phenotypic expression. This study aimed to review the literature on gender differences in clinical, genetic or familial aspects of OCD...
- Validity of a frustration-induction procedureElaine Henna
Laboratory of Psychopharmacology, Institute and Department of Psychiatry, Medical School, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 30:47-9. 2008..To test a reliable and easily administered frustration-induction procedure for experimental research...
- Pathological love: impulsivity, personality, and romantic relationshipEglacy C Sophia
Impulse Control Disorder Outpatient Clinic, Department of Psychiatry, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
CNS Spectr 14:268-74. 2009..This study aims at investigating impulsivity, personality, and characteristics related to the romantic relationship in this population...
- Association of MAO A polymorphism and alcoholism in Brazilian femalesCamila Guindalini
Department of Biology, Human Genome Research Center, Institute of Biosciences, University of Sao Paulo, Rua do Matão Travessa 13, No 106, Cidade Universitária CEP, 05508 090 São Paulo, Brazil
Psychiatr Genet 15:141-4. 2005..Our results suggest that this monoamine oxidase A polymorphism could play a role in susceptibility to alcoholism, which may differ across sexes...
- Personality changes in women recovering from substance-related dependencePatricia D Borman
University of Texas South Western Medical Center, Dallas, TX, USA
J Addict Dis 25:59-66. 2006....
- Alcohol and drug use among university students: gender differencesGabriela Arantes Wagner
Group of Interdisciplinary Studies on Alcohol, Drugs and Street Drugs, Medical School, Universidade de Sao Paulo USP, Sao Paulo SP, Brazil
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 29:123-9. 2007..This study compared the pattern of alcohol, legal and illegal drugs use among students of the Universidade de São Paulo (Brazil) in 1996 and 2001...