Ilka M Vasconcelos
Affiliation: Universidade Federal do Cear
- Soybean toxin (SBTX) impairs fungal growth by interfering with molecular transport, carbohydrate/amino acid metabolism and drug/stress responsesJanne K S Morais
Departament of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Federal University of Ceara, Fortaleza, Ceara, Brazil
PLoS ONE 8:e70425. 2013....
- Chemical composition, nutritive value, and toxicological evaluation of Bauhinia cheilantha seeds: a legume from semiarid regions widely used in folk medicineDaniel Camara Teixeira
Departamento de Bioquimica e Biologia Molecular, Universidade Federal do Ceara, 60455 970 Fortaleza, CE, Brazil
Biomed Res Int 2013:578781. 2013..These wild legume seeds can be promising alternative source of food to overcome the malnutrition problem faced by low income people adding socioeconomic value to the species...
- Antinutritional properties of plant lectinsIlka M Vasconcelos
Departamento de Bioquimica e Biologia Molecular, Universidade Federal do Ceara, Caixa Postal 6020, Campus do Pici, CEP 60451 970, Fortaleza, CE, Brazil
Toxicon 44:385-403. 2004..This current review surveys the recent knowledge on the antinutritional/toxic effects of plant lectins on higher animals and insects...
- SBTX, a new toxic protein distinct from soyatoxin and other toxic soybean [Glycine max] proteins, and its inhibitory effect on Cercospora sojina growthI M Vasconcelos
Laboratório de Toxinas Vegetais, Departamento de Bioquimica e Biologia Molecular, Universidade Federal do Ceara, CEP 60451 970, Fortaleza, CE, Brazil
Toxicon 51:952-63. 2008..This effect on phytopathogenic fungus is a potential attribute for the development of transgenic plants with enhanced resistance to pathogens...
- Soybean toxin (SBTX), a protein from soybeans that inhibits the life cycle of plant and human pathogenic fungiJanne Keila S Morais
Departamento de Bioquímica e Biologia Molecular, Universidade Federal do Ceará, Campus do Pici, CEP 60451 970 Fortaleza, Ceará, Brazil
J Agric Food Chem 58:10356-63. 2010..parapsilosis cell death. SBTX is toxic to fungi at concentrations far below the dose lethal to mice and has potential in the design of new antifungal drugs or in the development of transgenic crops resistant to pathogens...
- A novel chitin-binding protein from Moringa oleifera seed with potential for plant disease controlJuliana M Gifoni
Departamento de Bioquimica e Biologia Molecular, Universidade Federal do Ceara, Ceara 60451 970, Brazil
Biopolymers 98:406-15. 2012..Altogether, these results suggest that Mo-CBP3 might be involved in plant defense mechanisms and could be used as potential antifungal agent for controlling fungal pathogens in plants...
- Purification and physicochemical characterization of a cotyledonary lectin from Luetzelburgia auriculataJose T A Oliveira
Departamento de Bioquimica e Biologia Molecular, Universidade Federal do Ceara, Caixa Postal 6020, CEP 60451 970, CE, Fortaleza, Brazil
Phytochemistry 61:301-10. 2002..In the fluorescence spectroscopy, excitation of the lectin solution at 280 nm gave an emission spectrum in the 285-445 nm range. The wavelength maximum emission was in 334.5 nm, typical for tryptophan residues buried inside the protein...
- Water extracts of Brazilian leguminous seeds as rich sources of larvicidal compounds against Aedes aegypti LDavi F Farias
Departamento de Bioquimica e Biologia Molecular, Campus do Pici Universidade Federal do Ceará, Fortaleza, CE, Brazil
An Acad Bras Cienc 82:585-94. 2010..15 = 0.01 g/kg body weight), but despite these promising results, further studies are necessary to understand the toxicity of these extracts and their constituents from primary and secondary metabolism upon Ae. aegypti...
- Purification of a novel antibacterial and haemagglutinating protein from the purple gland of the sea hare, Aplysia dactylomela rang, 1828V M Melo
Laboratório de Microbiologia e Imunologia, Departamento de Biologia, Universidade Federal do Ceara, Fortaleza, Brazil
Toxicon 38:1415-27. 2000..This is the first time that a chimeroprotein is described in the purple fluid of sea hares, which may be involved in the chemical defence mechanism of these organisms...
- Cratylia argentea seed lectin, a possible defensive protein against plant-eating organisms: effects on rat metabolism and gut histologyJ T A Oliveira
Departamento de Bioquimica e Biologia Molecular, Universidade Federal do Ceara, P O Box 6020, Campus do Pici, 60451 970 Fortaleza, Ceara, Brazil
Food Chem Toxicol 42:1737-47. 2004..argentea lectin has insecticidal activity upon Callosobruchus maculatus larvae which attacks cowpea (Vigna unguiculata) seeds reinforce the hypothesis that lectins take part in the mechanisms against herbivory...
- Combination of chemical analyses and animal feeding trials as reliable procedures to assess the safety of heat processed soybean seedsIlka M Vasconcelos
Departamento de Bioquimica e Biologia Molecular, Universidade Federal do Ceara, Fortaleza, Ceara, Brazil
J Agric Food Chem 57:4668-73. 2009..In conclusion, in order to evaluate the reliability of any processing method intended to improve nutritional value, the combination of chemical and animal studies is necessary...
- Proteomics changes during the incompatible interaction between cowpea and Colletotrichum gloeosporioides (Penz.) Penz and SaccHudson Fernando N Moura
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Federal University of Ceara, Brazil
Plant Sci 217:158-75. 2014..gloeosporioides. ..
- A ConA-like lectin from Dioclea guianensis Benth. has antifungal activity against Colletotrichum gloeosporioides, unlike its homologues, ConM and ConAJosé H Araújo-Filho
Departamento de Bioquimica e Biologia Molecular, Universidade Federal do Ceara, Fortaleza, CE, CEP, Brazil
J Agric Food Chem 58:4090-6. 2010..Therefore, Dgui is a candidate for biotechnological approaches for improving the resistance of various nutritionally and commercially important crops that are affected by C. gloeosporioides...
- Biochemical, physicochemical and molecular characterization of a genuine 2-Cys-peroxiredoxin purified from cowpea [Vigna unguiculata (L.) Walpers] leavesFredy D A Silva
Departamento de Bioquimica e Biologia Molecular, Universidade Federal do Ceara, CE, Brazil
Biochim Biophys Acta 1820:1128-40. 2012..2-Cys-peroxiredoxins (2-Cys-Prx) reduce H2O2 and alkyl-hydroperoxide. This study describes the purification and characterization of a genuine 2-Cys-Prx from Vigna unguiculata (Vu-2-Cys-Prx)...
- Isolation and characterization of novel peptides from chilli pepper seeds: antimicrobial activities against pathogenic yeastsSuzanna F F Ribeiro
Universidade Estadual do Norte Fluminense, Centro de Biociencias e Biotecnologia, Campos dos Goytacazes, 28015 602 RJ, Brazil
Toxicon 50:600-11. 2007..cerevisiae and to cause several morphological changes in different yeasts, such as cell wall disorganization, bud formation as well as the formation of pseudohyphae...
- Induction of an anionic peroxidase in cowpea leaves by exogenous salicylic acidCléberson F Fernandes
Embrapa Rondônia, Porto Velho, Rondonia, Brazil
J Plant Physiol 163:1040-8. 2006..Apparent K(m)(s) were 0.8 and 4.8 microM for the cationic and anionic isoperoxidases, respectively...