Leonardo O Reis
Affiliation: Universidade Estadual de Campinas
- Bariatric surgery does not interfere with sperm quality--a preliminary long-term studyLeonardo Oliveira Reis
Division of Urology, Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Campinas, UNICAMP, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Reprod Sci 19:1057-62. 2012..Positive impact of weight loss on sexual function and hormones has been demonstrated, and male fertility in this scenario is to be better defined. We evaluated the impact of lifestyle modifications and gastric bypass on sperm quality...
- Male fertility, obesity, and bariatric surgeryLeonardo Oliveira Reis
Division of Urology, School of Medical Sciences, University of Campinas, UNICAMP, Brazil
Reprod Sci 19:778-85. 2012..Well-structured trials controlled for confounders including female factors and based on solid outcomes (ie, birth rates) must urgently come up to clarify this emerging scenario...
- The interpretation of the figure of the prophet Jonah by Michelangelo on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel: anatomical urological visionLeonardo Oliveira Reis
School of Medical Sciences, University of Campinas, Campinas, Brazil
Int Braz J Urol 38:317-22; discussion 323. 2012..A detailed analysis in the iconography and pictorial appearance of the scene of the "Prophet Jonah" painted by the artist Michelangelo Buonarroti (1475-1564) on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel between the years 1508 and 1512...
- Old issues and new perspectives on prostate cancer hormonal therapy: the molecular substratumLeonardo Oliveira Reis
Urologic Oncology Division, School of Medical Sciences, University of Campinas, R Votorantim 51, Ap 43, UNICAMP, Campinas, SP 13073 090, Brazil
Med Oncol 29:1948-55. 2012....
- Variations of serum testosterone levels in prostate cancer patients under LH-releasing hormone therapy: an open questionLeonardo Oliveira Reis
Department of Surgery Urology, Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Campinas UNICAMP, Rua Tessália Vieira de Camargo, 126 Cidade Universitaria Zeferino Vaz, Campinas, São Paulo CEP 13083 887, Brazil
Endocr Relat Cancer 19:R93-8. 2012....
- Intravesical protrusion of the prostate as a predictive method of bladder outlet obstructionLeonardo O Reis
Division of Urology, School of Medicine, University of Campinas, Campinas, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Int Braz J Urol 34:627-33; discussion 634-7. 2008..Pressure-flow study is the gold standard for diagnosis of bladder outlet obstruction (BOO). A prospective study was carried out to compare urodynamic evaluation and measurement of intravesical protrusion of the prostate for diagnosing BOO...
- The triple clinicopathologic features to seminal vesicle-sparing radical prostatectomyLeonardo Oliveira Reis
Department of Surgery Urology, School of Medicine, University of Campinas UNICAMP, Campinas, Sao Paolo, Brazil
J Endourol 24:1535-9. 2010..We evaluated clinicopathologic findings that are associated with SVI to select patients for potential seminal vesicle-sparing surgery...
- Assessment of serum chromogranin-A as prognostic factor in high-risk prostate cancerLeonardo O Reis
Urologic Oncology, Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Campinas, Campinas, Brazil
J Investig Med 58:957-60. 2010..The prognostic significance of plasma chromogranin-A (CgA) was assessed in a series of consecutive patients with high-risk prostate cancer (PCa)...
- [Does the criterion for prostate biopsy indication impact its accuracy? A prospective population-based outpatient clinical setting study]L O Reis
Departamento de Urología y Oncología, Universidad Estatal de Campinas, Brasil
Actas Urol Esp 35:10-4. 2011..We aim to check the accuracy of different criteria in this context including PSA derivatives to detect prostate cancer...
- Anatomical features of the urethra and urinary bladder catheterization in female mice and rats. An essential translational toolLeonardo Oliveira Reis
Department of Urology, University of Campinas, Campinas, SP, Brazil
Acta Cir Bras 26:106-10. 2011..To present fundamental anatomical aspects and technical skills necessary to urethra and urinary bladder catheterization in female mice and rats...
- Urethral carcinoma: critical view on contemporary consecutive seriesLeonardo Oliveira Reis
Division of Urologic Oncology, University of Campinas UNICAMP, R Votorantim, 51, Ap 43, Campinas SP, 13073 090, Brazil
Med Oncol 28:1405-10. 2011..The key to better understanding urethral cancer is the pooling of data from a wide range of sources including international consortia...
- MicroRNAs: a new paradigm on molecular urological oncologyLeonardo Oliveira Reis
Urologic Oncology Division, School of Medical Sciences, University of Campinas, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Urology 76:521-7. 2010..Bioinformatics progress and efficient delivery are essential to overcome barriers to miRNA use in clinical practice...
- Evolution on experimental animal model for upper urothelium carcinogenesisLeonardo O Reis
Department of Urology, Division of Urologic Oncology, School of Medicine, University of Campinas, R Votorantim, 51, Ap 43, Campinas, SP, 13073 090, Brazil
World J Urol 28:499-505. 2010..This study characterized the histopathological features on top of immunolocalization of alpha-dystroglycans (alpha-DG) and matrix metalloproteinase (MMP-9) and cell turn-over in the upper urinary tract using a novel experimental model...
- Experimental animal model and RNA interference: a promising association for bladder cancer researchLeonardo Oliveira Reis
Department of Urology, University of Campinas, UNICAMP, R Votorantim, 51, Ap 43, Campinas, Sao Paulo 13073 090, Brazil
World J Urol 27:353-61. 2009..While the procedure of transurethral siRNA administration is promising for BC research allowing detection of new targets in BC therapy, the optimal intravesical carrier and the best target(s) to siRNA are to be determined...
- Female urethral carcinoma: evidences to origin from Skene's glandsLeonardo Oliveira Reis
Department of Urology, School of Medicine, University of Campinas UNICAMP, Sao Paolo, Brazil
Urol Oncol 29:218-23. 2011..Prostate-specific antigen (PSA) is considered an evidence of origin from Skene's glands. We considered the origin from these glands in PSA negative cases...
- [Prostate cancer: evidence based clinical practice]Leonardo Oliveira Reis
Sección de Urología Oncológica, Discipline of Urology, Universidad de Campinas Unicamp, Campinas, SP, Brazil
Actas Urol Esp 33:344-50. 2009..This guideline aims to assist physicians and health professionals in clinical decisions related to prostate cancer treatment, particularly in urology, clinical oncology and radiotherapy...
- [Surgical management of retroperitoneal metastatic testicular tumor with inferior vena caval thrombus using cardiopulmonary bypass, arrested circulation, and profound hypothermia: a case report]Ricardo Miyaoka
División de Urología, Universidad Estatal de Campinas, Campinas, Sao Paulo, Brasil
Actas Urol Esp 33:1032-5. 2009....
- Erectile dysfunction and hormonal imbalance in morbidly obese male is reversed after gastric bypass surgery: a prospective randomized controlled trialL O Reis
Department of Urology, University of Campinas, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Int J Androl 33:736-44. 2010..The hormonal impact verified could justify the improvement in erectile function. Lifestyle modifications impacted BMI without hormonal or sexual impact in morbidly obese. New studies are warranted in the field to support our data...
- The impact of core biopsy fragmentation in prostate cancerLeonardo Oliveira Reis
Urologic Oncology Division, State University of Campinas, Votorantim, 51, Ap 43, Vila Nova, Campinas, Sao Paulo, 13073 090, Brazil
Int Urol Nephrol 42:965-9. 2010....
- [Extracorporeal lithotripsy in children - the efficacy and long-term evaluation of renal parenchyma damage by DMSA-99mTc scintigraphy]L O Reis
Servicio de Urologia, Universidad Estatal de Campinas, UNICAMP, Brasil
Actas Urol Esp 34:78-81. 2010....
- Adenocarcinoma on needle prostatic biopsies: does reactive stroma predicts biochemical recurrence in patients following radical prostatectomy?Athanase Billis
Department of Anatomic Pathology, School of Medical Sciences, State University of Campinas UNICAMP, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Int Braz J Urol 39:320-7. 2013..There is evidence that reactive stroma in different cancers may regulate tumor progression. The aim of this study is to establish any possible relation of reactive stroma grading on needle prostatic biopsies to biochemical recurrence...
- Association between literacy, compliance with prostate cancer screening, and cancer aggressiveness: results from a Brazilian screening studyMarcos Tobias-Machado
Department of Urology, Faculdade de Medicina do ABC, Brazil
Int Braz J Urol 39:328-34. 2013..Little is known about the effects of literacy levels on prostate cancer screening. This study evaluates the association between literacy, compliance with screening, and biopsy findings in a large Brazilian screening study...
- Should pathologists continue to use the current pT2 substaging system for reporting of radical prostatectomy specimens?Athanase Billis
Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, University of Campinas UNICAMP, Campinas, Brazil
Int Urol Nephrol 43:707-14. 2011..The aim of our study is to analyze the clinicopathologic findings and the prognostic information comparing the clinical with the pathological T2 substaging of patients submitted to radical prostatectomy...
- Anti-angiogenic effects of the superantigen staphylococcal enterotoxin B and bacillus Calmette-Guérin immunotherapy for nonmuscle invasive bladder cancerLeonardo O Reis
Department of Urology, School of Medicine, University of Campinas, Campinas, Sao Paolo, Brazil
J Urol 187:438-45. 2012..We compared and characterized the effects of intravesical bacillus Calmette-Guérin and/or staphylococcal enterotoxin B for nonmuscle invasive bladder cancer...
- Tumor extent in radical prostatectomy specimens: is it an independent prognostic factor for biochemical (PSA) progression following surgery?Athanase Billis
Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, University of Campinas UNICAMP, Campinas, SP, Brazil
Int Urol Nephrol 43:417-22. 2011..We aimed at studying the independent prognostic value of tumor extent for biochemical progression-free following RP once it is controversial...
- Controversial predictors of biochemical recurrence after radical prostatectomy: a study from a Latin American (Brazilian) InstitutionMarcelo R Noronha
Department of Pathology, School of Medical Sciences, State University of Campinas UNICAMP, Campinas, SP, Brazil
Int Braz J Urol 39:779-92. 2013..Most tumor extent evaluations on needle biopsies are predictive of time to biochemical recurrence, however, maximum percentage of cancer in all cores was the strongest predictor. ..
- Use of low free to total PSA ratio in prostate cancer screening: detection rates, clinical and pathological findings in Brazilian men with serum PSA levels <4.0 ng/mLEliney Ferreira Faria
Department of Surgery Urology, Cancer Hospital Barretos, Barretos, SP, Brazil
BJU Int 110:E653-7. 2012..5-4.0 ng/mL and normal DRE, with a marked increase in cancer detection rates in a large Brazilian PCa screening study. We believe that %fPSA maybe a useful refinement to biopsy indications in men with low PSA levels...
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy in penile cancer: a comparative study using modified inguinal dissectionUbirajara Ferreira
Division of Urology, School of Medicine, University of Campinas, Campinas, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Int Braz J Urol 34:725-30; discussion 730-3. 2008..We evaluated the effectiveness of the sentinel lymph node biopsy using lymphoscintigraphy in patients with penile cancer and at least one negative inguinal region...
- Prospective and randomized comparison of electrical stimulation of the posterior tibial nerve versus oxybutynin versus their combination for treatment of women with overactive bladder syndromeSophia C Souto
Division of Urology, School of Medical Sciences, University of Campinas UNICAMP, Rua Tessália Vieira de Camargo, 126, Cidade Universitaria Zeferino Vaz, Campinas, SP, CEP 13083 887, Brazil
World J Urol 32:179-84. 2014..To verify whether the combination of transcutaneous electrical neural stimulation (TENS) with oxybutynin in the treatment of women with overactive bladder (OAB) would be more effective than isolated treatments...
- Vesicostomy as a protector of upper urinary tract in long-term follow-upAlessandro Prudente
Department of Urology, State University of Campinas, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Urol J 6:96-100. 2009..The aim of this study was to analyze the results of vesicostomy in children as a protector of the upper urinary tract and assess the adjustments taken by the caregivers...