Affiliation: Universidade Federal Fluminense
- Characteristic pattern of skeletal muscle remodelling in different mouse strainsJussara Lagrota-Candido
Department of Immunobiology, Institute of Biology, Fluminense Federal University, Niteroi, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Int J Exp Pathol 91:522-9. 2010..These data support that skeletal muscle remodelling is greatly influenced by the genetic backgrounds, shedding light on the molecular mechanisms influencing differential muscular remodelling and tissue regeneration among individuals...
- Resection of the epileptogenic lesion abolishes seizures and reduces inflammatory cytokines of patients with temporal lobe epilepsyThereza Quirico-Santos
Department of Cellular and Molecular Biology, Institute of Biology, Fluminense Federal University, Rio de Janeiro Federal University, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Neuroimmunol 254:125-30. 2013..Maintenance of high TGF-β1 and IL-6 cytokines in both groups suggests a role in down-regulation of neuroinflammation and promotion of brain tissue remodeling for neuronal reorganization...
- Brain sweet brain: importance of sugars for the cerebral microenvironment and tumor developmentThereza Quirico-Santos
Laboratory of Cellular Pathology, Department of Cellular and Molecular Biology, Institute of Biology, Fluminense Federal University, Niteroi, RJ, Brasil
Arq Neuropsiquiatr 68:799-803. 2010..In this review, we will discuss the latest insights into the roles of brain glycoproteins as modulators of cell adhesion, migration, neurite outgrowth and glial tumor invasion...
- Study of polymorphisms in the interleukin-4 and IL-4 receptor genes in a population of Brazilian patients with multiple sclerosisThereza Quirico-Santos
Applied Genomics Research Group, School of Pharmacy, Queens University Belfast, Belfast, UK
Arq Neuropsiquiatr 65:15-9. 2007..Additionally neither IL4 nor IL4R genes are susceptibility factors for Brazilian MS but may be able to modify ethnicity-dependent disease risk and penetrance of susceptibility factors...
- Gender dimorphism influences extracellular matrix expression and regeneration of muscular tissue in mdx dystrophic miceMaria Cristina Salimena
Department of Immunobiology, Institute of Biology, Fluminense Federal University, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Histochem Cell Biol 122:435-44. 2004..These results suggest a role for female hormones in the control of myonecrosis probably by promoting regeneration of muscular tissue and mitigating inflammation especially at ages under the critical influence of sex hormones...
- Anaplastic oligodendroglioma responding favorably to intranasal delivery of perillyl alcohol: a case report and literature reviewClovis O Da Fonseca
Servico de Neurocirurgia, Hospital Universitario Antonio Pedro, Universidade Federal Fluminense, 24030 210 Niterói, RJ, Brazil
Surg Neurol 66:611-5. 2006..To explore therapeutic strategies and evaluate the clinical results, we report a case of a patient with anaplastic oligodendroglioma managed with intranasal delivery of POH...
- Preliminary results from a phase I/II study of perillyl alcohol intranasal administration in adults with recurrent malignant gliomasClovis Orlando da Fonseca
Servico de Neurocirurgia, Hospital Universitario Antonio Pedro, Universidade Federal Fluminense, Niterói 24030 210, RJ, Brazil
Surg Neurol 70:259-66; discussion 266-7. 2008..The intranasal delivery allows drugs that do not cross the BBB to enter the CNS; moreover, it eliminates the need for systemic delivery, thereby reducing unwanted systemic side effects...
- Correlation of tumor topography and peritumoral edema of recurrent malignant gliomas with therapeutic response to intranasal administration of perillyl alcoholClovis O Da Fonseca
Service of Neurosurgery, Department of General and Specialized Surgery, Antonio Pedro University Hospital, Fluminense Federal University, Rua Marquês do Paraná 303, 4 andar, Niteroi, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Invest New Drugs 27:557-64. 2009....
- Efficacy of monoterpene perillyl alcohol upon survival rate of patients with recurrent glioblastomaClovis O Da Fonseca
Departamento de Cirurgia Geral e Especializada, Unidade de Pesquisa Clínica, Hospital Universitario Antonio Pedro, Niteroi, RJ 24030 210, Brazil
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 137:287-93. 2011..The present study aimed to investigate the efficacy of intranasal administration of monoterpene POH upon survival rate of patients with recurrent glioblastoma (GBM) in comparison with historical control group of GBM patients...
- Resolution of skeletal muscle inflammation in mdx dystrophic mouse is accompanied by increased immunoglobulin and interferon-gamma productionJussara Lagrota-Candido
Department of Immunobiology, Fluminense Federal University, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Int J Exp Pathol 83:121-32. 2002..As these alterations occurred mainly during the recovery period, we suggested that local activation of the immune system could be an influence which mitigates the myonecrosis of muscular tissue in the mdx dystrophic mouse...
- Recent advances in the molecular genetics of malignant gliomas disclose targets for antitumor agent perillyl alcoholClovis Orlando da Fonseca
Servico de Neurocirurgia, Hospital Universitario Antonio Pedro, UFF, Niteroi, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Surg Neurol 65:S1:2-1:8; discussion S1:8-1:9. 2006..This article describes the effect of intranasal delivery of POH in a patient with relapsed GBM...
- The anticancer drug perillyl alcohol is a Na/K-ATPase inhibitorDiogo G Garcia
Departamento de Biologia Celular e Molecular, Instituto de Biologia, Universidade Federal Fluminense, Outeiro de São João Batista, S N, Centro, Niteroi, RJ, 24020 141, Brazil
Mol Cell Biochem 345:29-34. 2010..We suggest that POH antitumor action could be linked to its Na/K-ATPase binding properties...
- Analysis of EGF+61A>G polymorphism and EGF serum levels in Brazilian glioma patients treated with perillyl alcohol-based therapyFrancisco das Chagas Abreu da Silveira
Department of Neurobiology, Institute of Biology, Fluminense Federal University, Niteroi, RJ, Brazil
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 138:1347-54. 2012..This study aimed to establish a putative association of EGF+61A>G with risk of glioma development, production of angiogenic growth factor EGF, and the response to perillyl alcohol administered by intranasal route...
- Clinic and radiological improvement of lipoid pneumonia with multiple bronchoalveolar lavagesSelma M A Sias
Department of Pediatrics, Hospital Universitario Antonio Pedro, Fluminense Federal University, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Pediatr Pulmonol 44:309-15. 2009..To assess the potential role of multiple bronchoalveolar lavages (BALs) in the treatment of children with lipoid pneumonia (LP)...
- Evolution of exogenous lipoid pneumonia in children: clinical aspects, radiological aspects and the role of bronchoalveolar lavageSelma Maria de Azevedo Sias
Universidade Federal Fluminense, Niteroi, RJ, Brasil
J Bras Pneumol 35:839-45. 2009..To present aspects of the evolution of lipoid pneumonia in children, based on clinical, radiological and bronchoalveolar lavage fluid findings, emphasizing the importance of bronchoalveolar lavage for the diagnosis and treatment...
- Anti-inflammatory activity of Eugenia punicifolia extract on muscular lesion of mdx dystrophic micePaulo Emilio Correa Leite
Departamento de Biologia Celular e Molecular, Universidade Federal Fluminense, Niteroi, Rio de Janeiro 24020 141, Brazil
J Cell Biochem 111:1652-60. 2010..In vivo treatment of mdx dystrophic mice with Ep-CM caused significant reduction of muscular inflammation and improved skeletal muscle regeneration without inducing fibrosis...
- Persistent activation of omentum influences the pattern of muscular lesion in the mdx diaphragmDouglas Florindo Pinheiro
Department of Immunobiology, Fluminense Federal University, Niteroi, RJ 24 020 141, Brazil
Cell Tissue Res 350:77-88. 2012....
- TLR4 signaling protects from excessive muscular damage induced by Bothrops jararacussu snake venomEustaquio Luiz Paiva-Oliveira
Department of Immunobiology, Institute of Biology, Fluminense Federal University, Niteroi, Rio de Janeiro 24020 141, Brazil
Toxicon 60:1396-403. 2012..Since such effect was not observed in the mouse strain with functional receptor it is concluded that TLR4 signaling exerts a protective role preventing from excessive muscular damage induced by B. jararacussu venom...
- Pattern of metalloprotease activity and myofiber regeneration in skeletal muscles of mdx miceCristiane Bani
Department of Cellular and Molecular Biology, Institute of Biology Federal Fluminense University, Niteroi, RJ 24210 150, Brazil
Muscle Nerve 37:583-92. 2008....
- Ras pathway activation in gliomas: a strategic target for intranasal administration of perillyl alcoholClovis Orlando da Fonseca
Servico de Neurocirurgia, Hospital Universitario Antonio Pedro, Universidade Federal Fluminense, Niteroi, RJ, Brazil
Arch Immunol Ther Exp (Warsz) 56:267-76. 2008..Intranasal delivery allows drugs that do not cross the blood-brain barrier to enter the central nervous system. Moreover, it eliminates the need for systemic delivery, thereby reducing unwanted systemic side effects...