- Comparison of craving between pathological gamblers and alcoholicsHermano Tavares
Department of Psychiatry, Gambling Outpatient Unit, Faculty of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 29:1427-31. 2005..The aim of this study was to compare craving between pathologic gamblers (PG) and alcohol-dependent subjects (ADS), correlating craving with personality...
- Relationship between craving and personality in treatment-seeking women with substance-related disordersMonica L Zilberman
Addiction Centre, Foothills Medical Centre, University of Calgary, Canada
BMC Psychiatry 3:1. 2003..Individual differences may impact susceptibility to addiction. The impact of personality features on drug craving, however, has not been studied, particularly in women...
- Pathological gambling and obsessive-compulsive disorder: towards a spectrum of disorders of volitionHermano Tavares
Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 29:107-17. 2007..This study aims to contrast pathological gambling and obsessive-compulsive disorder regarding course, comorbidity, and personality, hence testing the validity of the impulsive-compulsive spectrum...
- [Compulsive buying disorder: a review and a case vignette]Hermano Tavares
Instituto de Psiquiatria, Hospital das Clinicas, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brasil
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 30:S16-23. 2008..The objective of this study is to present a review of compulsive buying disorder and present a case vignette...
- Wives of pathological gamblers: personality traits, depressive symptoms and social adjustmentMaria Helena B Mazzoleni
Gambling Outpatient Unit and Other Impulse Control Disorder, Department of Psychiatry, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 31:332-7. 2009..The goal was to examine the social adjustment, personality and negative emotionality of wives of pathological gamblers...
- Gambling in Brazil: lifetime prevalences and socio-demographic correlatesHermano Tavares
Gambling Outpatient Unit, Institute and Department of Psychiatry, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Psychiatry Res 180:35-41. 2010..Individuals who are young, male, unemployed or not currently pursuing further education may be at special risk for severe pathological gambling...
- Pathological love: impulsivity, personality, and romantic relationshipEglacy C Sophia
Impulse Control Disorder Outpatient Clinic, Department of Psychiatry, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
CNS Spectr 14:268-74. 2009..This study aims at investigating impulsivity, personality, and characteristics related to the romantic relationship in this population...
- The impact of gender, depression, and personality on cravingMonica L Zilberman
Department of Psychiatry, University of Sao Paulo, SP, 05435 030, Brazil
J Addict Dis 26:79-84. 2007..This finding underscores the need for vigorous assessment and treatment of comorbid symptomatology in women entering addiction treatment...
- Dopamine genes and pathological gambling in discordant sib-pairsDaniela Sabbatini da Silva Lobo
Laboratory of Medical Investigation LIM 23 Psychopharmacology, Department and Institute of Psychiatry, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
J Gambl Stud 23:421-33. 2007..Our results suggest the association of PG with DRD1 -800 T/C allele T (P = .03)...
- A comparison of craving and emotional states between pathological gamblers and alcoholicsViviane de Castro
Department of Psychiatry, Gambling Outpatient Unit, Faculty of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brasil
Addict Behav 32:1555-64. 2007..These findings point to the key role of emotional deregulation on gambling and alcohol cravings following early abstinence...
- Family-based association analysis of serotonin genes in pathological gambling disorder: evidence of vulnerability risk in the 5HT-2A receptor geneDavid Wilson
Department and Institute of Psychiatry LIM 23, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Rua Dr Ovidio Pires de Campos 785, 05403 010, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
J Mol Neurosci 49:550-3. 2013..7 (1.1-3.4)]. This preliminary result is consistent with the hypothesis that the serotonin system is associated with addiction behavior and similar results have been reported for nicotine and alcohol dependence...
- Neither bipolar nor obsessive-compulsive disorder: compulsive buyers are impulsive acquirersTatiana Zambrano Filomensky
Impulse Control Disorders Outpatient Unit, Institute and Department of Psychiatry, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Compr Psychiatry 53:554-61. 2012..To further investigate the appropriate classification of CB, we compared patients with CB, BD, and OCD for impulsivity, affective instability, hoarding, and other OCD symptoms...
- Self-reported and neuropsychological measures of impulsivity in pathological gamblingDaniel Fuentes
Psychology and Neuropsychology Unit, Institute of Psychiatry, Clinical Hospital, Medical School, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Int Neuropsychol Soc 12:907-12. 2006..Impulsivity seems to be a multi-dimensional phenomenon, and PG a heterogeneous population in which different types of impulsivity are present...
- Gender similarities and differences: the prevalence and course of alcohol- and other substance-related disordersMonica Zilberman
Institute of Psychiatry, University of Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil 05403 010
J Addict Dis 22:61-74. 2003..It is concluded that women's earlier age of initiation of substance use, faster progression to dependence and under-representation in addiction treatments should be addressed in future health care planning...
- The impact of an outpatient program for women with substance use-related disorders on retentionMonica L Zilberman
Addiction Centre, Foothills Medical Centre, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Subst Use Misuse 38:2109-24. 2003..This finding suggests that the heterogeneity of women with substance-use disorders has to be taken into account when developing appropriate treatment strategies...
- [Pathological love: is it a new psychiatric disorder?]Eglacy C Sophia
Ambulatório Integrado dos Transtornos do Impulso, Instituto de Psiquiatria Hospital das Clínicas, Faculdade de Medicina Universidade de São Paolo, Brasil
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 29:55-62. 2007..Although the available data is comprised of case studies, such condition (which is distinguished itself from erotomania or delusional love) seems not to be rare...
- Evaluation of a physical activity program for pathological gamblers in treatmentDaniela Lopes Angelo
Outpatient Clinic for Gambling and Other Impulse Control Disorders, Institute and Department of Psychiatry, University of Sao Paulo School of Medicine, Dr Ovídio Pires De Campos, 785, Sao Paulo, 05403 903, Brazil
J Gambl Stud 29:589-99. 2013..The craving reduction was associated with a variation in prolactin levels but not with variations in levels of cortisol or adrenocorticotropic hormone. ..
- Pathological gambling in women: a reviewSilvia Saboia Martins
Department of Psychiatry, Hospital das Clinicas, Faculty of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Rev Hosp Clin Fac Med Sao Paulo 57:235-42. 2002....
- The gambling follow-up scale: development and reliability testing of a scale for pathological gamblers under treatmentViviane de Castro
Institute and Department of Psychiatry, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Can J Psychiatry 50:81-6. 2005....
- Abuse liability of intra-nasal midazolam in inhaled-cocaine abusersIvan Mario Braun
Anxiety Disorders Program, Institute and Department of Psychiatry, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 18:723-8. 2008..It is concluded that the intra-nasal route does not seem to pose risks for non-psychiatric individuals, but it may represent a risk in itself for subjects with a history of drug abuse through this path...
- Pathological gambling, gender, and risk-taking behaviorsSilvia Saboia Martins
Department and Institute of Psychiatry LIM 23, Instituto de Psiquiatria do Hospital das Clínicas, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, R Dr Ovidio Pires de Campos, S N, Cerqueira Cesar, SP 05403 010, Brazil
Addict Behav 29:1231-5. 2004..Both impulsivity and emotional distress are related to risk-taking in gamblers, and young gamblers who early in life display other potentially harmful behaviors require special attention...
- Personality changes in women recovering from substance-related dependencePatricia D Borman
University of Texas South Western Medical Center, Dallas, TX, USA
J Addict Dis 25:59-66. 2006....
- Discriminating drug-dependent women from alcoholic women and drug-dependent menMonica L Zilberman
Addiction Centre, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, 1403 29th Street NW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 2T9
Addict Behav 28:1343-9. 2003..This should be taken into account when devising treatment strategies for this specific population...
- Oxcarbazepine for self-mutilating bulimic patientsTáki Athanássios Cordás
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 9:769-71. 2006
- Factors at play in faster progression for female pathological gamblers: an exploratory analysisHermano Tavares
Department of Psychiatry Addiction Centre, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
J Clin Psychiatry 64:433-8. 2003..This phenomenon was called the "telescoping effect." By comparing female gamblers with male gamblers regarding gambling preferences and comorbidity, the authors explored potential risk factors for telescoping...
- Are there cognitive and behavioural approaches specific to the treatment of pathological gambling?Hermano Tavares
Addiction Centre, Foothills Medical Centre, University of Calgary, 1403 29th Street NW, Calgary, AB T2N 2JT9
Can J Psychiatry 48:22-7. 2003..Treatment approaches for pathological gambling have been modelled after preexisting substance addiction models. This paper reviews cognitive-behavioural models in a search for original insights that are specific to gambling treatment...
- Substance use disorders: sex differences and psychiatric comorbiditiesMonica L Zilberman
Addiction Centre, Foothills Medical Centre, University of Calgary, 1403 29th Street NW, Calgary, AB T2N 2T9
Can J Psychiatry 48:5-13. 2003..This article reviews sex differences in psychiatric comorbidity among individuals with substance use disorders and, in particular, the clinical significance of these differences for treatment outcome among women...
- [Impulse control disorders: the return of Esquirol's instinctive monomania]Hermano Tavares
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 30:S1-2. 2008
- Impaired control: a look at the laying brick of pathological gamblingMichael Cantinotti
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 29:203-4. 2007
- Addiction's research in developing countries: adjusting abounding questions to limited resourcesNady el-Guebaly
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 27:7-8. 2005