Jose E Tanus-Santos
- Martins Oliveira A, Guimaraes D, Ceron C, Rizzi E, Oliveira D, Tirapelli C, et al. Direct renin inhibition is not enough to prevent reactive oxygen species generation and vascular dysfunction in renovascular hypertension. Eur J Pharmacol. 2018;821:97-104 pubmed publisher..These findings contrast those found with losartan and suggest that renin inhibition is not enough to prevent hypertension-induced impaired redox biology and vascular dysfunction. ..
- Guimaraes D, Rizzi E, Ceron C, Martins Oliveira A, Gerlach R, Shiva S, et al. Atorvastatin and sildenafil decrease vascular TGF-β levels and MMP-2 activity and ameliorate arterial remodeling in a model of renovascular hypertension. Redox Biol. 2015;6:386-395 pubmed publisher..These novel pleiotropic effects of both drugs may translate into protective effects in patients. ..
- Guimaraes D, Dos Passos M, Rizzi E, Pinheiro L, Amaral J, Gerlach R, et al. Nitrite exerts antioxidant effects, inhibits the mTOR pathway and reverses hypertension-induced cardiac hypertrophy. Free Radic Biol Med. 2018;120:25-32 pubmed publisher..This study may help to establish nitrite as an effective therapy in hypertension-induced cardiac hypertrophic remodeling. ..
- Oliveira Paula G, Lacchini R, Pinheiro L, Ferreira G, Luizon M, Garcia W, et al. Endothelial nitric oxide synthase polymorphisms affect the changes in blood pressure and nitric oxide bioavailability induced by propofol. Nitric Oxide. 2018;75:77-84 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that NOS3 polymorphisms and haplotypes influence the hypotensive responses to propofol, possibly by affecting NO bioavailability. ..
- Pinheiro L, Ferreira G, Vilalva K, Toledo J, Tanus Santos J. Contrasting effects of low versus high ascorbate doses on blood pressure responses to oral nitrite in L-NAME-induced hypertension. Nitric Oxide. 2018;74:65-73 pubmed publisher..Our findings may have special implications to patients taking ascorbate, as high doses of this vitamin may impair protective mechanisms associated with nitrite or nitrate from dietary sources. ..
- Oliveira Paula G, Lacchini R, Tanus Santos J. Clinical and pharmacogenetic impact of endothelial nitric oxide synthase polymorphisms on cardiovascular diseases. Nitric Oxide. 2017;63:39-51 pubmed publisher..In this review, we discuss the basic biochemical mechanisms of NOS3 regulation and the clinical and pharmacogenetic impact of NOS3 polymorphisms on cardiovascular diseases. ..
- Oliveira Paula G, Lacchini R, Luizon M, Fontana V, Silva P, Biagi C, et al. Endothelial nitric oxide synthase tagSNPs influence the effects of enalapril in essential hypertension. Nitric Oxide. 2016;55-56:62-9 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that NOS3 tagSNPs influence the effects of enalapril in essential hypertension. ..
- Meschiari C, Pinheiro L, Guimaraes D, Gerlach R, Tanus Santos J. Sodium nitrite attenuates MMP-9 production by endothelial cells and may explain similar effects of atorvastatin. Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol. 2016;389:223-31 pubmed publisher..Our findings may help to elucidate important new nitrite-mediated mechanisms by which statins affect imbalanced MMP activity in a variety of cardiovascular disease. ..
- Pinheiro L, Oliveira Paula G, Portella R, Guimaraes D, de Angelis C, Tanus Santos J. Omeprazole impairs vascular redox biology and causes xanthine oxidoreductase-mediated endothelial dysfunction. Redox Biol. 2016;9:134-143 pubmed publisher..While omeprazole did not further impair hypertension-induced ED, further studies in less severe animal models are warranted. Our findings may have major relevance, particularly to patients with cardiovascular diseases taking PPIs. ..
- Oliveira Paula G, Pinheiro L, Guimaraes D, Tella S, Blanco A, Angelis C, et al. Tempol improves xanthine oxidoreductase-mediated vascular responses to nitrite in experimental renovascular hypertension. Redox Biol. 2016;8:398-406 pubmed publisher..This finding suggests that nitrite treatment may not be effective in patients being treated with XOR inhibitors. Moreover, while tempol may improve the vascular responses to nitrite, antihypertensive responses are not affected. ..
- Damacena Angelis C, Oliveira Paula G, Pinheiro L, Crevelin E, Portella R, Moraes L, et al. Nitrate decreases xanthine oxidoreductase-mediated nitrite reductase activity and attenuates vascular and blood pressure responses to nitrite. Redox Biol. 2017;12:291-299 pubmed publisher..Together, our results show that nitrate inhibits XOR-mediated NO production from nitrite, and this mechanism may explain how nitrate attenuates the vascular and blood pressure responses to nitrite. ..
- Muniz J, Leite L, Lacchini R, Tanus Santos J, Tirapelli C. Dysregulated mitogen-activated protein kinase and matrix metalloproteinase in ethanol-induced cavernosal dysfunction. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2017;: pubmed publisher..Additionally, we found that SAPK/JNK plays a role in ethanol-induced increase on ET-1 contraction in the isolated rat CSM. ..
- Oliveira Paula G, Pinheiro L, Ferreira G, Garcia W, Lacchini R, García L, et al. Angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors enhance the hypotensive effects of propofol by increasing nitric oxide production. Free Radic Biol Med. 2018;115:10-17 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that increased NO bioavailability may account for the enhanced hypotensive effects of propofol in ACEi-treated patients. ..
- Pinheiro L, Ferreira G, Amaral J, Portella R, Tella S, Passos M, et al. Oral nitrite circumvents antiseptic mouthwash-induced disruption of enterosalivary circuit of nitrate and promotes nitrosation and blood pressure lowering effect. Free Radic Biol Med. 2016;101:226-235 pubmed publisher..Our results support a major role for S-nitrosothiols formation resulting in vascular S-nitrosylation as a key mechanism for the antihypertensive effects of both oral nitrite and nitrate. ..